New images of MSTS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, MSTS2 will be a "Games for Windows" release and will not run on Windows XP or earlier.
No doubt done to get you to spend more money with Micro$oft, I mean Micro$$$oft.

Nope, not getting MSTS-2 as it will probably more like an upgrade & in my opinion, looks more like a downgrade(1) from MSTS-1, that MSTS-bin could probably do better.

RooRocz said:
I've seen better looking rolling stock for MSTS 1. (And it was free, and could run on XP.[and Linux, if you really work at it for a while])
RooRocz, are you saying that you have to pay for all MSTS-2 downloads?

RooRocz said:
Tell me what everyone here thinks about them.:)
That you screenshots are WAY, WAY to big, you need to reduce them. I can't get them to fit the screen, even when the screen resolution is changed to 1024x768, and since they are massive in size, is the exact reason I'm not clicking on any more links - got half-way downloading the screenshot & thought to myself "What's the fuss all about with MSTS-2, (or should that be more like M$T$2?)

EDIT:
I'm switching to vista cause it looks very intresting.:)My XP keeps on screewing me up and giving me errors.:(
Kmothersil, on a side note did you happen to look on the side of the box with something along the lines "Game can only be used with Vista"?

1. After clicking on another way way to big screenshot & some of the smaller shots, in my opinion, especially with rollingstock, it is more like a "downgrade".

PS: I've seen demos of Vista, and it just looks like XP with some slight differences so is it just a very expensive upgrade disguised as a brand new operating system?

Last edited:
I'll defiantly take a look at MSTS2 those screenshots look very cool. If it wasn't for MSTS1 I wouldn't be here ;) :hehe: :mop:

I will be mostly interested in the route building tools. If I can't create a route as easily as I can in Trainz it will not be as appealing to me. Hopefully MS can borrow some clues from Auran. ;)

As for XP verses Vista, when it is time to upgrade I will think I will dual Boot both operating systems.

Thanks for posting the screenshots.

Regards

Microsoft will release MSTS2 for Vista, when it can no doubt run under XP (unless it is totally DX10). And even if it is total DX10, it will probably hacked to run on XP. I mean, look at Crysis. There's already a hack (minor config change, rather) out that allows you to enable 99% of the DX10 features under its DX9 interface.

MSTS kept me busy for three years, but then I grew up and found Trainz and found it much better. So I doubt I'll be getting MSTS2.

Cheers,
John

Until I see more actually 'in game' screenshots then I will reserve my decision at a later time, MSTS was ok, but once I got Trainz it has never seen the light of day again.

Again, until I actually see the box with a "Designed for Vista" or "Vista only game" or anything along those lines then we will know for sure, some of the newer games already have the "Games for Windows" logo on them but work fine in XP. Gears of War, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, Crysis to name a few of the top off my head...

As for Vista, until such times as I get full control like XP has then I will not be changing, staying with XP for the foreseeable future.

I don't want "Screenshots," I want actual videos of in-game action. How it sounds, how it looks. how it taxes your comps resources.

you can't get me hooked on screenshots alone.;)

Although I will admit, I would've never heard of Auran if I hadn't bought MSTS first, so I'll give them that.

When we get to the point of where videos of the game are available either I'll post the websites or someone else could do it.

kmothersil,

Thanks for the shots. Well the MSTS2 rollingstock and locos seem to be comparable to the rollingstock and locos in Trainz. The question is does MSTS2 have the performance and the ability to create routes and assets?

Or is MSTS2 just another Vista or the horid Office 2007?

Time will tell.:eek:

MSTS2 uses the FSX (Microsoft Flight Simulator X) game engine and FSX runs on XP... but Microsoft are still saying that MSTS2 will only run on Vista.

As well as the graphics and the route editor, it'll be fascinating to see how well MSTS2 handles things such as asset management, signalling, AI, industries and the scripting of activities. Has anyone discovered any source of information from Microsoft on those subjects?

John

I can't see how MSTS2 will be a big seller if it is Vista compatible only, Vista is a disaster, MSTS2 sales will suffer.

I'd be more inclined to purchase Rail Sim if some Aussie content was released.

Xp or Vista I don't care microsoft need a better System It's not working
for much people vista is much a big problem and there's still a lot of people running xp so it should be xp compatible but another problem is direct x 9-probly will not like running dx-10 graphics it just looks like we need to all upgrade to the latest of the latest. but beyond all that the screen shots where great! Microsoft train simulator 2 is going to be one of best train sims ever made...
:eek:

Last edited:
Here's the thing..

MSTS 2 will not run on XP. There's absolutely no question of that. MSTS 2 will be designed only for Vista, and will be only supported by Microsoft for Vista. I don't think Microsoft will be making too much more software for XP, they want people to switch to their crappy, overpriced, buggy new OS.

But

anyone will be able to run it if they have a DirectX 10 compatible graphics card. Yes,it's true. All you have to do is

1. Get a second hard drive (It doesn't have to be big, even an 8 gig flash drive will work here)
  2. Put any distro of Linux on it. (I'd recommend Ubuntu, or Slackware if you're technically minded.
  3. Install WINE, download DirectX 10.
  4. Run MSTS 2 through WINE
  5. Done.
So sit back, relax, and ignore the Microsoft FUD. You'll be able to run MSTS 2 just fine, but perhaps with slightly more bugs.

but beyond all that the screen shots where great! Microsoft train simulator 2 is going to be one of best train sims ever made...
:eek:
Pardon me if I take that remark with a large pinch of salt, but I think at this stage all you can say is that the screenshots look nice, but that certainly doesn't make it a great simulator (look at KRS).

Paul

I know heard MSTS 2 is going to be for Windows XP. Hopefully this is realiable information and no one there is lying to me.

FWIW, and according to Rick Selby at MS, TS2 will run on both XP and Vista.

Cheers!
Marc
I don't want to appear sceptical but is this verifiable anywhere please? As they say on Wikipedia "citation needed"! :) If true, it's a development of critical importance to a lot of people and also a major u-turn by Microsoft.

John

Thread Hijack

WOW! 3D Trains is finally releasing The Feather River route!

Whoa, $50 bucks US. Is it that good?

William

Thred Hijack Suppression Team

No, that's not good. Fifty dollars for a single route? Whatever the market will bear, I suppose.
Ed

Geez, my fat fingers missed the "A" in thread....worst title ever!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back