My Latest Project

Bulldog1653

Hello all,

After taking some time off, I decided to try working on a new layout. At this point, I haven't decided how big it's going to be. I will say that it's going to have some nice longhauls and open areas for the trains to run wide open.
The shots below are my work so far. This is only one baseboard to date but there will be more. I welcome any comments and suggestions.

screen001cq.jpg

screen002q.jpg

screen004q.jpg

screen006j.jpg

screen007dy.jpg

Last edited:
That's an interesting paint texture, looks a bit like a carpet! :)
I suggest that you remove it, place ballast paint texture under the rails, and perhaps grass like textures elsewhere.

On the advice of Evan123, I did a few color changes to the railyard floor. Also look at the background with the grass on the road banks. I took 2 different kinds of grass and laid one on top of the other. The ATSF SD-40-2's shown here were created courtesy of SPORBUST.

screen008d.jpg

Here are a few more new shots.
This is inside the main repair facility.
screen009ea.jpg

screen010j.jpg

This track is set for offloading electric motors. Since this is a major repair and maintenence facility, I figured it was only appropriate for something like this to be put into place.
screen011am.jpg

My latest progress

Hello all,

This has taken some time and planning to decide how I wanted to lay out the main yard the various repair and maintenence facilities. I finally got a baseboard completed and thought I would share what I have done so far.
My ideas on how I'm going to do this layout come from what I have seen both in this forum and in real life. Anyhow, enjoy and I welcome all comments and suggestions.

This is the main crossing coming into the yard.
screen012d.jpg

This was kind of a fun one to plan out. On the other side of the truck is an unloading track for electric motors for the locomotives being overhauled. The rail that is being loaded is headed to the scrapyard.
screen013z.jpg

Just a different view with some added trees.
screen015.jpg

This is part of a staging yard for various locomotives and rolling stock either awaiting repairs or ready to be hauled off for their next job.
screen016ti.jpg

I finally figured out why the textures look distorted and "carpet like" in the previous shots. That is from rotating the paint pattern as I lay it down.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for what industries should be put into this layout. I do plan on containers and MAJOR passenger operations so far. I would love some suggestions.

Last edited:
Back