More scenery export issues

SAR704

Getting all these error messages when attempting to export a sign into TRS19. No idea what they relate to. I assigned the pbr material in Blender to each part of the object.

Largely unfamiliar with this game, and the tutorials do nothing for me. Any suggestions?

Your material names are incorrect. They need to follow the following....

1. <your_material_name>.m.pbrmetal substitute <your_material_name> for something of your choice.
2. each material needs an albedo, normal & parameter texture assigned to it.

Your errors are showing missing normal and parameter textures.
The last error VE173 shows your material is incorrectly named. Change from Material.004 to the format in 1 above.

An example can be found at...

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/M.pbrmetal

I only noticed the mention of the 3 texture types recently. It's enough of a nuisance getting a second texture onto a model in Blender already. Guess I'll need to look it up again. If I switched back to TANE, would there be less homework with asset exports? I'm not a detail fanatic. I just tend to export bare bones objects admittedly.

Last edited:
I only noticed the mention of the 3 texture types recently. It's enough of a nuisance getting a second texture onto a model in Blender already. Guess I'll need to look it up again. If I switched back to TANE, would there be less homework with asset exports? I'm not a detailed fanatic. I just tend to export bare bones objects admittedly.
Yes, I believe so because the models are in the older .im format and not the newer trainz-mesh.

More issues with an attempt to import an .IM file into the game. I have no idea whatsoever what the bottom line shown in red refers to. Info on this game is near nonexistent.

Last edited:
There is this other issue: Unable to load mesh file: nameboard_wanbi.im

And also the VE13 error above displayed in red comes up.

Beginning to think that you need the intelligence of Stephen Hawking to get an item into this game.

Hi SAR704
Did you check the links provided by Peter and Zec above?

You should also have a look at this link regarding the TrainzBaseSpec https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_TrainzBaseSpec Look at the last section of the page. If you compare the example config file with yours you will see that you have a few inverted commas missing. E.G. Kind Scenery should read Kind "Scenery". The category-class tag is only two letters. I'd probably use "BT" in your case but that's just my opinion.

Asset creation can be frustrating at first but keep going; it will fall in place.
Good luck.
Ian

Your Category-Class should be one of the two-letter codes (or three letters) below:

Class B: BUILDINGS & STRUCTURES​

• BB Buildable (Kind Buildable)
  • BC Commercial (scenery non-functional)
  • BI Industrial (scenery non-functional)
    • BIN Industry asset with product processing functionality
  • BH Home & Residential (scenery non-functional)
  • Subclass BP: Passenger Station
    • BPF Passenger Station with passenger processing functionality
    • BPN Passenger Station (non-functional)
  • BR Railway (scenery non-functional)
  • BS Special (e.g. military) (scenery non-functional)
  • BT Traffic & Streetscape (scenery non-functional)
  • BU Utility (incl. Civil buildings) (scenery non-functional)

Is anyone willing to download and adjust the .cfg file? Always seems like I'm 1 error away from exporting. But cannot get around the dreaded messages. Here's a link.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you've already exported the asset since you have made an FBX file. The problem you’re having is with importing the asset into Trainz and it seems to be caused a badly-written config.txt file.

I'm having a stab at it. The bits I've added are in bold. You can easily see some of the mistakes you've made.

The mesh files you are trying to submit to Trainz are in FBX format and that's OK, you need them at first. When you submit the asset to CM's database, Trainz "eats" the FBX files and uses them internally to create corresponding .trainzmesh files but it doesn't destroy the FBX's, they remain there. The process only works if the config is written as if the .trainzmesh files are already there (hence the mesh-table refers to trainzmesh not fbx). After it has created the required .trainzmesh files, you can delete the FBX's from the asset folder (but it's a good idea to keep them in your 3D creation folders in case you need them at some point later).

You don't have any lod, just one level really (level 0) so I've written the mesh-tabe-lod-transition-distances tag such that it will display the object out to 200 metres, then it will disappear. At least I think it will.

Your thumbnail image is for the DLS and is expected to be 240x180 pixels. Make it so.

Anyway try this and see if any of the warnings and fault messages go away. I'm almost sure not everything will be resolved (I mean it is Trainz after all) but it might be a start.

kuid <KUID2:412192:1001:6>
kind "Scenery"
category-class "BR"
category-region "AU"
category-era "1950s"

snapgrid 40
snapmode 1
rotate 1
rotstep 90
username "Nameboard Wanbi"
trainz-build 4.6
mesh-table
{
default-lod0
{
mesh "Nameboard_Wanbi.trainzmesh"
auto-create 1
lod-level 0
}
}
mesh-table-lod-transition-distances 200
thumbnails {
0 {
width 240
height 180
image "thumbnail.jpg"
}
}

Last edited:
Thanks for looking at the file, and the suggestions. I have copied your edits into the file. But I still get the dreaded "Unable to load mesh file: nameboard_wanbi.trainzmesh'. I have changed it back to trainzmesh format. instead of FBX. But still puzzled as to what to do here.

Note that the input mesh files for committing into Trainz are FBX. Trainz converts those FBX files to a proprietary Trainzmesh format but leaves the old FBX files in the asset.
Perhaps you should look at this tutorial on the WiKi: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Export_from_Blender_using_FBX. It's a rock/boulder made in Blender using the rock basic mesh and uses a PBR material. It may help with the export/import process.

It's not that difficult once you get the hang of the process.

When you say that you “changed it back to trainzmesh format”, what do you mean? If you simply took your FBX file and manually changed its extension from .fbx to .trainzmesh, then Submitted it, that won’t work. The mesh should be a .fbx file to begin with, and the config’s mesh-table should refer to .trainzmesh, as I showed above. You the Submit the asset in CM. If it accepts it and does not report faults, open the asset for edit and in the asset’s folder you should see your original FBX file still there, but also the newly created trainzmesh file.

If it failed to work, then something might be amiss with the original FBX. Can you at least open the FBX using Autodesk FBX Review (its a freeware utility that’s well worth getting for this kind of troubleshooting)?

Last edited:
Hello,
No idea if it's relevant but I noticed the fbx file has the extension twice, as in :- Nameboard_Wanbi.fbx.fbx. Don't know if this may cause issues.

Cheers

Hello,
No idea if it's relevant but I noticed the fbx file has the extension twice, as in :- Nameboard_Wanbi.fbx.fbx. Don't know if this may cause issues.

Cheers
Sometimes, if show extensions for known file types is turned off and the user adds on an extension, an extra extension will end up on the file because the extension is added to the file automatically. As a rule, I've always turned that option off because I like to know what files are being saved especially when I've downloaded files or saved file attachments. Hiding the file extension is a good way to end up with malware on a system.

Would anyone be willing to load the .blender file in the attached .zip, and export it into TRS19 without the Parallax textures/additional LODs? IE a raw scenery file? If one can literally get it in the game, it would be a step forward. I am puzzled.

Would anyone be willing to load the .blender file in the attached .zip, and export it into TRS19 without the Parallax textures/additional LODs? IE a raw scenery file? If one can literally get it in the game, it would be a step forward. I am puzzled.
You can send me a PM with a Dropbox/similar link and I'll have a look.

Back