Modified F7A

DrivingPark

Spartan Cab Member
I've been playing TRS06 for a while but I recently got into loco editing. My first product will be a Modified F7A based on the Auran F7. Here are some of the features it will have:

Nathan M5 or Leslie S3-L airhorn (currently using the M5)
Animated Blomberg type-B trucks (currently installed)
EMD 567B engine sounds (currently using 567C, it's all I have at the moment but I'll be DLing a 567B soon)
Mars light (don't know how to add this)
Animated fans (don't know how to add these)
HP uprated to the F9's 1750 (at which point I will change the name to Modified F9A and revert back to the 567C engine sounds)

The best part about this in my opinion is that it acts as a PaintShed skin. I took the Auran F7 template and made a new PS asset with it, but didn't change anything except paint all of it a slightly lighter gray. And since it's a PS skin, you can still reskin it with PaintShed just like you'd reskin the Auran template. But, since it works in Driver, you can also reskin it with an external program such as gmax.

And I know some people would say it's easier just to reskin an existing mesh, I wanted to make this so people who only use PaintShed have a more realistic starting point, and reskinners have a blank slate to work from and improve upon.

I don't have any pics at the moment (partly because I haven't figured out how to use GameCam yet), but I'll put some up as soon as I can.

Any comments, suggestions, or tips would be appreciated. Let me know what you think of the idea so far.

P.S. If enough people want it, I will also make an F7B version.

If you are just modifying one PaintShed skin into another and not changing the mesh, you may not be able to add a Mars light and will not be able to add animated fans, you deifinitely need to change the mesh for the fans bit.

Indeed, Storknest is correct. And if you are going to modify the F7A, then you should do the same for the F7B as well. And the F7 has already been reworked by another member, and it's interesting that you plan to release another paintshed skin, and it's a noble idea, and I've run out of things to say...

I wish you well, but given that everything you suggest and more has already been superbly done by Jointed Rail I wonder if your time might not be better spent elsewhere. I appreciate that you want to leave your mod PS compliant, but JR also have a full reskin kit available which gives better results free of PS constraints. Just my .02c....

Of course, if you are really that much of a modeler, you should consider any new Paintshed model, I'm sure that would be received well!:)

Of course, if you are really that much of a modeler, you should consider any new Paintshed model, I'm sure that would be received well!:)
I have a very long to do list as far as new PS models go, especially one of the HH switchers (HH600/900/660/1000) from scratch, and the BL2. I know they already have BL2's on the DLS but I want to make a completely accurate and detailed model, including a PS template.
I wish you well, but given that everything you suggest and more has already been superbly done by Jointed Rail I wonder if your time might not be better spent elsewhere. I appreciate that you want to leave your mod PS compliant, but JR also have a full reskin kit available which gives better results free of PS constraints. Just my .02c....
I have seen the JointedRail F7s, and they're excellent, but I wanted to make one that was smaller in file size and was available on the DLS. Also, I wanted to make one in the standard CDP format instead of the PSD used by them.
Indeed, Storknest is correct. And if you are going to modify the F7A, then you should do the same for the F7B as well. And the F7 has already been reworked by another member, and it's interesting that you plan to release another paintshed skin, and it's a noble idea, and I've run out of things to say...
You're right, I should have a matching F7B, and the DLS is in fact processing some PS reskins of F7Bs that I did, and have all the features of the Modified F7B built in.
If you are just modifying one PaintShed skin into another and not changing the mesh, you may not be able to add a Mars light and will not be able to add animated fans, you deifinitely need to change the mesh for the fans bit.
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait until I make a model from scratch before adding animated fans, and the Mars light isn't really necessary, just a really cool addition in my opinion.

At this point, the MF7A is being processed to upload to the DLS, with all the features discussed above except the animated fans, the Mars light, the 567B engine sounds (couldn't find any), and the F9's HP rating.

I have already completed a Modified GP38 as well, and will be uploading that in the next week or so.

Thank you all for your input, it helps a lot!

1. Paintshed is no longer usable fore TS09 and up.
2. Making a new Paintshed model is about two times as much work (I know as I have made two).
3. Start with a simple car before trying a loco, it's a lot less to learn and do.

...and the BL2.

You sir, just got alot of points in my book. I have been dying for a new BL2 ever since I got the game. I actually worked on Ex BAR engine 54 over the summer. I personally would love to have this locomotive.

Also on my list of things that would be nice to have is a new Alco FPA.

Though, as it has been said before, don't bother with the paintshed template as it is obsolete. Just release it with the TGAs so that we can reskin them more accurately in Photoshop and the like.

I have seen the JointedRail F7s, and they're excellent, but I wanted to make one that was smaller in file size and was available on the DLS. Also, I wanted to make one in the standard CDP format instead of the PSD used by them.

i just thought i should point out

1. my F7 packs at www.jointedrail.com are one nice cdp file usually of both the A and B units, including other dependencies that they might need for the trucks or effects and mars lights etc etc. this contributes to their files size.

2. CDP and PSD have nothing to do with each other. the PSD files are the brand new textures i made for them in a blank so they can be reskinned easily using photoshop or corel paintshop similar to what you see in a new paintshed model and are not included in the cdp.

3. paintshed is a thing of the past and probably wont see much of a future.

this of course does not mean that you should not continue your project. i see no problem with it, but i saw a few inaccuracies in your post i thought i would comment on.

good luck.

Hey I'm glad you're trying this! Keep practicing modeling, I look forward to your stuff.
Cheers.
Thanks for the positive input, that really helps. I'll be off to a slow start until summer vacation begins, I'm REALLY busy during the year but somehow manage to fit some Trainz in on the weekends.
1. Paintshed is no longer usable fore TS09 and up.
2. Making a new Paintshed model is about two times as much work (I know as I have made two).
3. Start with a simple car before trying a loco, it's a lot less to learn and do.
whitepass, I run TRS2006 so I don't know about what's what in 09, thanks for the info! And I know you were the only person to successfully make a PS template from scratch, and I commend you for that. I'm currently using both of them, in fact. I may try a car first, but I'm really not all that interested in modeling rolling stock to be honest, I'm all about locos. But I might try a car or two.
You sir, just got alot of points in my book. I have been dying for a new BL2 ever since I got the game. I actually worked on Ex BAR engine 54 over the summer. I personally would love to have this locomotive.

Also on my list of things that would be nice to have is a new Alco FPA.

Though, as it has been said before, don't bother with the paintshed template as it is obsolete. Just release it with the TGAs so that we can reskin them more accurately in Photoshop and the like.
I'm glad someone else has been dying for a BL2. It's always been one of my favorite locomotives, and I'd love to make one. I think after I warm up with a simple loco like a GP9 or something, I'll go straight to the BL2. Interesting, an Alco PA? I think I'll add that to my list.
And as far as PaintShed goes, as I said above I didn't know that it was obsolete in 09, that really helps.
i just thought i should point out

1. my F7 packs at www.jointedrail.com are one nice cdp file usually of both the A and B units, including other dependencies that they might need for the trucks or effects and mars lights etc etc. this contributes to their files size.

2. CDP and PSD have nothing to do with each other. the PSD files are the brand new textures i made for them in a blank so they can be reskinned easily using photoshop or corel paintshop similar to what you see in a new paintshed model and are not included in the cdp.

3. paintshed is a thing of the past and probably wont see much of a future.

this of course does not mean that you should not continue your project. i see no problem with it, but i saw a few inaccuracies in your post i thought i would comment on.

good luck.
Hmm, I downloaded it and it wasn't in CDP format. Odd.
Anyway, I'm sure it's fine, just a problem with my system or something.
Upon hearing the news of no more PaintShed in TS2009, I am abandoning PS compatibility, but will still continue with my projects. This actually makes it A LOT easier for me.
And by all means, feel free to correct me, I appreciate it.

Hmm, I downloaded it and it wasn't in CDP format. Odd.
Anyway, I'm sure it's fine, just a problem with my system or something.
And by all means, feel free to correct me, I appreciate it.

[totally bewildered mode]Good grief! The Jointed Rail F7 remakes are not only packed in cdp format, but contain everything needed for each model. They are in fact a benchmark for the hobby. I have no connection whatsoever with JR except as a satisfied and grateful user of their products, but to see the work they have put into this wonderful product maligned however slightly really gets my goat.

What you have downloaded in psd format is the reskin kit. The reskin kit is NOT a trainz asset and therefore cannot possibly be packed in cdp format. The reskin kit is something very few model makers - particularly of this calibre - distribute, and kudos to Jointed Rail for doing so....[/totally bewildered mode]

Andy

Ah, I don't think he was maligning the content, I think he's just a tad confused. I sense no disturbance in the force, and I have found his comments to be gracious and deferential to those that have been here longer...

Indeed, I was confused, thinking the reskin template was actually a PaintShed template, but now I know that this is not the case.

jadebullet, that's one nice BL2!

I actually recommend getting started in Blender or GMAX, those programs are good.....
*** and***
I have decided to start my own stuff for Trainz! I want to know if Gmax is better than Blender or vice versa, Gmax does not run on my computer but I'm willing to wait until I can purchase one that does. Anyway, my first creations will be...
GP20...Kyle Railroad.
GP10...Illinois Central
GP11...Illinois Central
SD38...EJ&E, CNW, UP
SD75I...Canadian National
SD45...Wisconsin Central
SD40-2...Illinois Central, GTW, Canadian National/Illinois Central
SD70ACe...Canadian National, Illinois Central [fictional]
ALCO;
FPA-4 Canadian National
RSD-4 Seaboard, Milwaukee Road
General Electric;
ES44AC...Union Pacific, BNSF, Illinois Central [fictional]
Hope to start on these models soon!
Cheers.
IC ,
I am assuming that from the info you are now giving to other trainzers , we will be seeing one of your twenty new creations soon(tm) ? :)

--- ,DLR

Last edited:
Back