Mcguirel's trees ...

george2010

G'day,

Downloaded a bunch of tree by mcguirel ... those which work in TANE are probably some of the best available for Trainz, but most of them report faulty dependencies. Do they work in other versions of Trainz?

Any views which tree are considered to be best for TANE?

She had only made a few trees compatible for TaNE before leaving our community :( Mcguirel's trees are considered to be the very best by many (incl. myself)! Her exit was a great lose to the Trainz scenery department!

The best trees available for TaNE are actually Auran's own; and those by route and content creator: RoysTrainz -some of which are part of his payware routes only :)

RMM are good but can sap the frame rate if used in large quantity, better placed as individual specimens for effect.

From TS12 to TANE N3V upped the speedtree format and unfortunately the older type are not compatible with TANE.

Having the payware version of mcguirel's speedtrees, I can say that I have not noticed any errors reported by T:ANE, up through the latest SP2 version. Has anyone else experienced issues with the payware?

No issues with mcguirel's trees payware or freeware in SP2 that I have seen. Her older (SpeedTree 5) work well in TS12 but I haven't tried them in TS2010 or earlier.

gawpo50's speedtrees are worth a look too, they are seasonal as are Auran's. RMM's are not seasonal and I'm not sure about RoyTrainz's but I believe his are.

Last edited:
Her T:ANE versions should be fine. There are a lot of trees she did earlier that will not be OK, so keep an eye on the version (4.5 or higher) for each tree you select.

What was that all about? An old post from Aug 13, 2011? McGuirel stopped selling the trees and basically gave the finger to the Trainz community? So, if there is a route which has the trees in it then downloaders will have missing unknowns that cannot be obtained anymore. I also hated when the Pofig trees stopped working in TANE and there is no fix for them. I had a Reading and Northern route with Pofig trees in 2012 but in TANE all of the Pofig trees are faulty and don't show up on the route. But, a user released updated versions of the Reading and Northern route with permission for TANE and 19 on the DLS with all the Pofig trees replaced with working ones.

When I run into Pofig trees or McGuirel trees that no longer work, I look for a tree from st_rmm or some other newer tree that matches as close as I can, and clone it to the old Pofig or McGuirel KUID. It's a bit of work, but it looks great. I also do it for billboard trees like on the Legacy of the BN part 2.

With the Legacy of the BN and LBN 2, I brought both routes into T: ANE and replaced the trees with RMM's equivalents, or close a match as possible. I didn't bother to change kuids. Keeping older Trainz versions around, such as TS12 for example is good for converting routes. On another route, I replaced non-working Mcguirel and Pofig trees with RMM's TS12 versions that were obsoleted by the ones I had installed in T: ANE when I imported the route. This made an extremely painless process of updating trees.

I hear ya, John. The only reason I clone is so that if I end up with another route with the same Pofig or McGuirel trees, the work is already done with the clones. At least, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :)

She had only made a few trees compatible for TaNE before leaving our community :( Mcguirel's trees are considered to be the very best by many (incl. myself)! Her exit was a great lose to the Trainz scenery department!

The best trees available for TaNE are actually Auran's own; and those by route and content creator: RoysTrainz -some of which are part of his payware routes only :)
RoysTrainz trees are Laggy as all get out in 22 too many LOD's in them which causes Framerates to Drop like a fly.. Not recommended for use in routes....

All we can hope for is that N3V does not develop some "new features" that ruin the display of trees that are quite satisfactory for many customers. But given their history, N3V will eventually make the decision to stop accommodating McGuirel trees . Some Monday morning we will awaken to a sea of red. That has happened to me twice, but N3v eventually rectified the issue, Let's see if they publicly commit to protect widely used legacy elements. Note: the Sam trees are quite nice, but the pine continues to suffer from some "needle flashing".

Indeed, most of the conifers are still in very bad shape. Even the st_rmm trees are often twisty and distorted or just badly built.

Indeed, most of the conifers are still in very bad shape. Even the st_rmm trees are often twisty and distorted or just badly built.
The issue is due to the LOD, I think. It appears that the LOD is backwards. When viewed from a distance, the trees look great but when up close they look sparse. What concerns me is given the past game engine upgrade and all trees going bad, what's not to say that we won't face this again. N3V ruined the working billboards by making them into cardboard cutouts and locked themselves into a company that doesn't allow future updates without scrapping everything and starting over.

Back