Lock-up problem back in 116678

autodctr

Had this problem awhile back. If I left the game unattended while in Surveyor for several minutes, it would lock up. I would have to use Task Manager to kill the game and then go back in. Then, 114880 came along and that problem left. I even tried it one time for over an hour and no problem. Now with 116878 it is back. Both in Surveyor and while driving. While driving, it only happens when I pause the game. This last time it was paused for maybe 5 minutes top, but was hung. Nothing worked. Task Manager again needed. However, unlike Surveyor where everything will be there when I go back in, nothing was available in driver: I had to start at the very beginning. Another quirk that is happening in 116878 whether in Surveyor or driving (which did not happen before) is that I have to re-enter my user name and password to get back into the game. This is a little frustrating.

Understand that this is the only program running when this happens. I do not use Win10 for anything other than Trainz. This post is being done in Linux. And I don't have this problem except in Trainz....no lockups anywhere else.

Ryzen 7 2700, 16g RAM, nVidia 2700. Win10 updated and newest nVidia driver installed. ( Ibelieve it is the 5.10 driver.)

when you start the game, can you open the log?
Launcher /Developer\ Show Logs
maybe there is a hint there what happened

Looking at the logs, the only thing that I got from them was a headache. I didn't really see anything there. But today, while working in Surveyor, the thing just booted me all the way out to the desktop.....twice. Like I said before, I had these problems continuously before release 114880. Once updated to 114880, I never had a single problem at all. Now with release 116878, they have all returned. And they seem to be more frequent than before. Sigh.

sad to hear, maybe your settings are a bit too high for your machine, it over heats then crashes
I had a crash once , then vacuumed my whole pc, and after it was fine

If you are now getting a CTD, you'll definitely need to run a database repair. Once that happens, a CTD will beget another CTD and that will become a never-ending cycle.

There are multiple causes for a CTD besides program issues. As G.M. mentioned, heat is one of them. The other is a bad asset which can also cause the program to freeze. I've seen that with corrupted meshes and corrupted textures. The textures and mesh are okay enough for Content Manager not to complain about them, but internally there's something broken inside that causes the crash. Scripted assets can cause this as well if there's a problem with the script that tells the code to go off to somewhere that doesn't exist or puts it into a loop.

Troubleshooting corrupted assets is a pain in the backside and takes time. The best way is to go through the process of elimination by disabling groups of assets 100 or so at a time, testing, then enabling and moving on. You start by disabling all non-built-in or DLC assets and loading the route. If that works, then enable 100 or so assets and repeat the process again. Repeat until you find the last group where the crash occurs, and it's here where you have to finetune the checking by disabling the last batch and enabling an even smaller amount at a time to narrow down the culprit.

As an example of a corrupted mesh, I had an issue with a big route I have. There was one particular location that caused my route to crash if I looked in one particular direction or become an absolute slideshow if I looked the other way. Once I passed that place, the route slipped along normally, but an errant glace and I was looking at the desktop.

The problem was an old ULTRA maple tree. I knew it was something in the vicinity, but I could never get to the asset because I would end up being defeated by the CTD. I finally nailed it when I was converting the route to TANE by replacing the trees with something else from the old Speed Trees I was using on the route. After a few tries, I replaced that Maple tree, and the problem went away. That same route still lives on today in TRS19 and TRS22 with no issues at all.

OK. First off, I build and repaid PCs so I know that there is no problem with that. My CPU and GPU both run under 50 C. I have the game set to half sync. At full sync, I very rarely saw less than 60FPS and then only a low of 57FPS. So, I ran it at half sync of 30 FPS where it is rock solid. What I did find is th: after doing an extended data base rebuild and running again to a CTD, in the logs was this several times: approx wording was that it couldn't find 2:45324:1000060:5. This is an ATSF GP60M. In CM it states that this is "Built in, Payware (not active). What the heck do I do now. My frustration limit has been exceeded. This route ran before the last update! Ran for hours on end. Now, I can't even get once around the 210 mile loop.

Odd as <kuid2:45324:1000060:5> is not builtin here in fact it's an unknown asset, probably it would be more correct to be a packaged asset belonging to some DLC from the Content store that I haven't got, worth looking to see if there are any updates in the Content Store?

Question is 116878 a steam version or a typo? as the latest update here is 116678.

I had a load of faulty and missing stuff after updating in one go from 114880, full DBR fixed it all. Other Install which was on the beta updated with no problems, smaller patches less problems?

Sorry about that: 116678. I could not find that KUID to download. So, at least for now, I guess that I will remove it from the route and use something else and see what happens.

So, I deleted the above mentioned KUID. And I replaced it in the route. Started driving again. Going along OK, but I figured that I would take a look at the logs just in case. 648132:102197 and 198both just polluting the log with "No attachment point as delivered in the scene. Really? They were just dowloaded a day or two ago with my new-to-me FCT. So now, I have the ability to d-l at lightning fast speeds things that don't work. Great. Tomorrow, I will replace yet another defective loco and try again. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

That may have been a corrupt download, no guarantees but this sometimes works delete it, run a dbr, the quick one and also clear out the internet/cache, folder then try downloading again, sometimes corrupted stuff gets left in there and when you re-install an item it tries to install the cached download, doesn't actually download it even though Manage content is indicating it is.

Good news first: drove trains almost 2 hours w/o a hitch! Yeah! Bad news: in the logs, 37573:100268:4 keeps scrolling rapidly by saying that it can't be found. Maybe I am just getting too old for all of this, but where do I find out what this is and how to get it? I tried going into CM and I cannot figure out how to search for a KUID.

Thank you. Please tell me HOW you found that since my 1/2 hour of searching just got me nothing at all. I replaced a similar loco with that one. Now when I look at my log file while the trains are all moving, I occasionally see an entry. Before, the entries just flew past. Is it possible to have NO entries at all or is that just wishful thinking?

Locked up again. After clearing the last bad asset, everything was running fine. Watching the log file as trains were moving about, very few entries in log. I quit for awhile. Went back in about 20 minutes ago and continued route that I was running earlier. LOCKED up agin. This time, in the logs, repeating entries of CBQ SD9 370.....something about a connecting point not found. Over and over again. KUID 2:101340:1000036. Assuming that I probably d-led it and it is bad, I checked: no faults no warnings. Having had enough aggravation over the past few days, I figured that I would just delete it. No can do. Searching further it tells me that this asset is "packaged". I am assuming that it came with TR19. Dunno. The loco is on the route. Nothing connected to it: just sitting on a siding. What gives with this? I would just like to start driving trains like I did before this last update....none of this nonsense happened. None. Could drive for hours.

I have a feeling you have some serious data corruption and you're stumbling upon the various faulty assets one by one as you use the program. I had that occur recently due to some bad RAM corrupting my data. Data is cached in Windows 10 and up more so than in the earlier operating systems and if there's a bad bit somewhere, things can go horribly wrong since we don't use ECC memory in most desktops.

But that asset, when checked, shows no warnings. Checking "Faulty" in CM shows nothing. None of these problems started until the last update.....they started that day. And why is a packaged asset showing as faulty when the game is running today, but did not show it yesterday? I had the same lockup problems before the update to 114800. After the update to 114800, there were NO issues....could walk away from the machine while in Surveyor and come back an hour later and continue in Surveyor. Now, if I walk away for 5 minutes, I come back to a locked up Trainz. Driving trains can sometimes cause a lockup in 20 minutes. The interesting thing that I see is that it depends on what I am doing. If I just leave Surveyor sit idle for a few minutes, it locks. If, while in driver, I am changing speeds, starting or stopping other consists, or just glancing around to different areas on the layout, things are fine. If I sit back and just watch out of the cab w/o moving my field of vision, a lock-up occurs. Neither of these occurred in 114800. I could leave it run, without touching anything, for hours. I could walk away from Surveyor mode for an hour and it was fine. Now, 10 minutes of being idle in Surveyor guarantees a lock-up.

Given this issue is unique to your system, I suggest reinstalling 114800 (from MyTrainz).
Have you tried creating a new local data folder and retrying?
It may also be worth checking your hardware - e.g. faulty RAM, update graphics drivers etc

I have checked everything on this machine....stress tested it to the max. Ran RAM test and will run another all night tonight. I had 12 Firefox windows opened and running podcasts while at the same time running Trainz. Everything ran fine. But again, it is only when I quit doing something on this end that it happens: as long as I am adding scenery, no prob. But walk away for 5 minutes and I am locked up. As long as I am driving trains and just looking side to side, no problem. Quit doing any input from the keyboard, and it locks. Stressing it seems fine, letting it "relax" for a few minutes is when the problem occurs.....exactly the same as before 114800. 114800 update cured all of that......could leave it in surveyor or driving.....walk away for 1 - 2 hours...nmo problems.

Where exactly do I go to get 114800 again? Will I have to reinstall everything else?

Don't stop then! ;p

It's possible some system operation is occurring during "downtime" - e.g. flush to disk, anti-virus scanning the system. Check Task Manager to see if anything is noticeable. Reboot and only run Trainz and see if it still happens. (Turn off AV).

Also make sure that it's not just some power management thing with Windows. Check another window then try Trainz. Also check if the launcher or CM are still responding.

114800 link is https://dl1.n3vgames.com/Installers/TRS19/SP4/TRS19-SP4-Offline-Installer-114800.zip

Just install, point to your current local data folder, restart, wait for the db repair, you're up and running.

Note anything saved in the latest version will not work in the older version.

Alright....let me try to make sense of this. I have purchased tr2022 but have not installed it yet. Just now, I loaded up Tr2019. Without opening any route, I looked at the log files (which I had earlier deleted). Things just scrolled by unmercifully. A ton of obsolete things....textures, all kinds of assets, train cars, etc. What I am thinking of doing is deleting TR2017 and 2019 and then installing 2022. I know that I am going to lose a bunch of work, but if I can get a system that is running w/o all of these lockups, it will be worth it. I am not going to import ANYTHING from the previous Trainz. What are your opinions and or ideas about this?

Back