Layouts! , Layouts! and more Layouts!

patrickbishop

Hi,
Heres a common problem, you start a brand new imaginary layout but can't think of any creative names for your stations, halts, Signal boxes ect. Well here is a solution if you can think of some great names post them here.

Ok here is a few of mine :-

Edinfast
Woodan
Little Sansbury

NO REAL PLACES PLEASE!!! :hehe:

How about

Something Like i seen in a series of BVE layots, they were named based on Pink Floyd songs....

There is probly others that would good or funny too.... Imagine a layot based on the Beatles Penny lane, Strawberry fields Noweigian Wood, Octopuss Gardens could be a few.

Tom

I have used words meaning something that theroute represents.
Take example my route Shangri La.

Shangri La is a utopia meaning where dreams come true. Where there is peace, great weather, and perfect land.

That can work too. Experiment. ;)

:udrool:
When I name a place on my routes I usually take a real name and turn it into something completely different to the way the place normally looks.

Russell

I like to drive around my route and look at the whole picture or at least the windowed picture at the time and let it name it itself. Example, I built a town at the foot of a mountain. I wasn't looking at my town but the whole picture in the window and called it, 'Hillmount'. I could have used, Basehill, Mountain Bottom, Mountain Foot, Foothill, Peakton, etc. I built another logging route awhile back and in the middle of some cleared forest I placed a small community where there was a lot of tree stumps. I named the community, 'Stump'. So, don't try to name it, let it name itself. Got the idea?;)

Last edited:
I did one layout where all the towns were named after obsolete or obscure motorcycle marques. Vincent was a manufacturing town.:)

:cool: Claude

I look at maps and scramble the places around a bit. On my Enfield and Eastern, I have towns like:

Plymouth
Bristol
Shoreham
Willows Point
Cottage Hill
Wrentham
Acton
Sout Acton
Parkdale
Paxton
Factoryville
Greenwood
Boxford
and
Lynnwood

John

It's a well known trick of real estate developers to name housing developments by combining two words:

List A
Historical Landmark or Building
Animal
Tree
Fruit
Name of Geographic Region
Cardinal Direction
Something Patriotic
Something Rustic
Name of landowner whose land was seized through eminent domain

List B
Lake
Falls
Creek
Ridge
Woods
Hollow
Corner
Meadow
Hill
Country Club
Manor
Heights

Successful Examples:
Fox Meadow, Apple Ridge, Loyalist Country Club, Oak Creek

Tips:
* Adding prefixes like "Estates" or "Villages" makes a community sound ritzier than it actually is. Watch prices rise 20% when "Heritage Woods" becomes "Estates at Heritage Woods".

* This guide can also name shopping malls! Just add the words "Plaza", "Square", "Shops", or "Boutiques"!

Ed

LOL!

Loyalist Country Club sounds like a subsidiary of the NRA! :hehe:

As for names I just use real ones "in the style" of wherever I'm modelling.

USA

Jasper Creek
McGuirrel Falls
Euphod
Serendipity Gulch
Saranwookie

Oz

Coolibah Billabong
Murphy's Creek
Wallamoloo
Jabberwocky
Howard's End (ho ho ho!)

France

Fleshquibeau
Merde-alors
Sauvequipeut
Lancette
Pistolet

Germany

Grosses Blaupunkt
Immelblau
Kleine Floete
Krup-am-meer

Well you get the idea... :hehe:

If in doubt use real names but obscure ones like Dogwalk, Illinois...

Cheers

Nix

Funny how "Euphod Hollow" makes you hear banjo music, while "Euphod Manor" brings Beethoven to mind.:eek:

Ed

Place Names

To make route planning easier on fictious layouts I name my stations in Alpabetical order, for example... the first station name could be Ashton Gate, the next down the line, next could be Churchtown, and then Earls Retreat and so on. When you go into Driver it is quicker to scroll down your list to programme your stops

Some ideas of where to get names...

Phonebook
Atlas, if you're doing a route based on one particular area, use town names off a map.
Back of packaging, the place where the product was made, perhaps mixing the letters to form a new name.

You might find a name of say Belltown, out of that you can get Tobel, or Lowen, Nelot.

There are many ways to get names for towns.

I use these methods for my routes.

There's always that famous English spa resort Ed Wells... :hehe:

Or Sedley Wells (a local music store)

Cheers

Nix

I name them after famous mathematicians. Descartes, Fermat, Lobachevsky, Euler, Euclid, etc.

I know, I'm weird...

I usually just take suburb names from where I live (Adelaide), break them into single syllables, and then recombine them in different ways.

For example, some suburbs of Adelaide are:

Glenunga
Warradale
Parafield
Aldinga

Which I can turn into:

Warrapara
Glendale
Paradinga
etc...

Try it with the area you live in. You'll be amazed at what you can come up with!

Or, to really personalise your route, take the name of a family member or pet, and stick words like ford, borough, town, field, dale, vale etc. on the end. (e.g. Danswood) Keep it all one word, apart from when you use words like 'city' and 'falls'.

Hope this helps,
Best wishes,
Padster

Back