K&L Trainz Steam Locomotive pics!

Moar Christmas
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

A while back I setup and captured a screenshot for the purpose of editing it to look decently like a B&W photograph from the 40's/50's, because a straight B&W edit of a screenshot doesn't fully capture the feeling of an "old black and white photograph". I found a reference shot I liked and went from there.

The reference shot:
co610.jpg

The result:
fd9cf1a9e7fcace791bfaf7511d7938c.jpg

It's not perfect for many reasons, but it's decent. I just thought I'd share.

With the threat of snow looming, we catch 2-8-0 consolidation #114 running parallel to the road with a short freight train, note the semaphore signals in the background.

Did a bit of retexturing to the 4501 to give it a darker smokebox as shown in the photos below:
Comparison

Ah, dirty baby. After NS took over and 4501 was rebuilt at Irondale, the aluminium/graphite mixture was swapped out for just a dark grey graphite which then was allowed to turn black, "Southern - late" style, as at that point many of the people running steam at TVRM and Southern remembered it from the 1940s and 1950s when locos had dark smoke boxes. This was the beginning of the end of mainline 4501, 611 and 1218 stole the show, and the old green heavyweights were replaced by NS lightweights (some being the botched slabside conversions). The 4501 was headed for retirement, eventually. Just a note, if you want full accuracy, you also need to remove the white wheel centres, add some yellow to the green, and darken the cylinder head covers. It looks good so far though.

Below is a chart I created at the request of some TVRM crew members. (If this doesn't meet the criteria of this thread, feel free to remove it, just trying to help).

24281792_2042149846015430_59118498_o.png

Jacob

Interesting. I knew something looked different with the green! I plan to tweak it a little more when I have the time.
Thanks for the info! :)

I never knew any one locomotive has worn that many shades of the same color.
Indeed. For a long time he story just went that it was faded, but after the flue sheet incident at Dalton she spent a good amount of time in the shop, after which she was repainted, and they used the lighter, yellower diesel green post-1972, sometimes dubbed vomit green. It is a very interesting thing I think, what little details changed (like the white pilot centre) over time.

Saturnr

I finished my 80s-90s era 4501. The boiler color is a little off, but it will do for now. I was also going to fix the cylinder heads, but if I changed the color of that, it changed the color of the white walls.

dfgdfg.jpg

tyuiyuiyui.jpg

Last edited:
Not in post steam era US but back in the day it would have happened frequently in some places. The Gainesville Midland, for example, frequently double headed their 2-10-0's

The New York Susquehanna and Western used to doubleheaded their Russian Decapods on their coal trains with a third Decapod ahead of the cabin car.

that's two locomotives I now know of that had an identity crisis.:hehe: Great looking locomotive as always but I've got to wait until after April before consider adding another locomotive to my collection.

Back