June Trainz Community News (TCN) Now Out

Johnk

Boarded October 2001
Hi folks, the June edition of the Trainz Community News is now available for download. At 56 pages, it's yet another bumper issue and one you should really download even if you've never done so before.

It's free, no registration is required and it's a very small file (2.8meg) Forum guests are welcome to read it.

Download Link

If you ever wondered how Trainz began, you must read the History of Trainz - Part 1 written by Greg Lane, the man who created the game.

Also get full details of Joe Folco's fabulous new route The Western Maryland Thomas Subdivision.

But that's only the beginning. Other features include:
  • 2010 Route Building Competition Winners - See who won and find out where you can view dozens of screenshots.
  • Charlie Lear's Gallery of Trainz Cover Art - Over 90 cover designs covering most versions of Trainz released throughout the world.
  • Prototype Freight Operation in Trainz - Waybills
  • Screenshots in 3D - A tutorial by Vulcan of Ianz Trainz
  • PEV's QuickShadows - A Tutorial
  • Pixie - A Free Colour Picker
  • Adapting ARN and MFX Features for Multiple Product Queues
  • Red Alerts
  • TARM Tidbits
  • Why Not Start a Trainz User Group in Your Area?
  • Letters to the Editor
  • An Easy Way to Read Forum Posts
  • ScreenShot of the Week

Go get it!

John

Last edited:
Hi John

I have just skim read this issue (very tired, so reading it fully won't really work well :hehe: ). However, I do wish to comment on your article on user groups :)

There is a group in Victoria, known as the VicTrainz Modelers Group (normally known as just VicTrainz). This group has been around for many years, starting originally as a private/closed group of content creators. This has changed to now being an open group for all Trainz users who have an interest in Victorian railways (and Australian railways in general). We do have a 'group' within the forums for the actual 'modelers group', however this is only to ensure that some information is not available to all and sundry :)

As a part of the VicTrainz group, we hold semi regular 'VicTrainz' meets, generally held at the Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club's club rooms in Melbourne each school holidays, generally on the second or the last Saturday of the holidays. Unfortunately, we have not had one for the past two school holidays, due to the appropriate members being unavailable (myself, and at least one HBMRC club member, generally 'Jerker'). In the case of myself, I simply haven't had time to organise it, and have not been able to get my PC to the HBMRC rooms to be able to run it (don't have a license, so my parents would need to be able to drive me... :) ).

Our meets follow a slightly different idea to what your article outlines, however I think we all have a great time :) Since the HBMRC club rooms have a mini cinema, we make use of this for our meets. We generally meet up, have a bit of a chat, then setup in the cinema. We show off our models, discuss modeling techniques, and (if we have new stuff in-game) we'll give the new stuff a run in Driver. Sounds a little boring in words, but it can actually be fun. Particularly getting feedback and ideas from others. It helps a lot more to explain in words, and using a big screen.

If anyone is interested in joining us, we are welcome to everyone :) You can find info on any meets on our forums, which are here: http://forum.victrainz.com.au/

Sorry for the long post... But, I just wanted to put up some info on another of the groups that's been around. I'm hoping to try organise another meet soon, if anyone is interested :)

As for a 'groups' forum. That is what the 'community' section is intended for :) Posting about 'community' stuff, such as groups :)

Zec

Thank you John for this very informative issue. It is a shame that now that the contest is offically over, the whole trainz community can't somehow vote for their favorite. (just for s_its and giggles). I am anxiously awaiting that FCT.

Hi Zec,

Thanks for the information. I also saw your post in the "User Groups" forum and that's the kind of feedback we need. It's not there just for possible new groups, it's also there to solicit members for established ones. I'd like to use your post as a follow up in the July magazine. With that in mind, please feel free to reword it if you wish and post it off to me. Otherwise I'll just use this one if it's okay. My email in on the bottom left of page two. Thanks.

Hi Skidmark22,

That thought crossed my mind. Let me have a think about the best way to do it. You can have your input by emailing me also.

IKB and Stagefright,

Thanks for your comments. It makes it all worthwhile.

For all your information, the thread tends to disappear very quickly. Every time someone posts a message, it's "bumped" and we get an extra 20 to 30 new readers. As we love new readers, let's all try to keep the tread alive.

Thanks to all of you.

John

Regards to both of you

Back