I've got my own site! (Finally!)

tbob

Analog Kid
Howdy folks,

I've finally got a site going for New England Trainz. www.freewebs.com/newenglandtrainz Keep in mind I'm still working on it so it may seem a little bare, but keep checking back often.

A prize will be given to the person who can tell me the name of the bridge and it's role in both history and present.

-Jesse :wave:

(the contest)

The "fourth bridge" in Scotland was a famous bridge that connects Scotland's Capital city Edinburgh (the south east of the country) with inverkeithing (the north east).

By the way great site.

I hope that my home town gets on there.

P.S.What does guest book do?

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

You're not even on the right side of the pond Ben, but good try.

The guestbook is just a way of telling me if you like the sight, if you've been there, etc. They're usually found at museums.

that is the hell gate bridge, its role in the past was to link the PRR with New York and New England, presently it's used by CSX,(sometimes)CP, Amtrak, P&W, and the NY&A.:)

Last edited:
Well, I'll give you both a prize. Because you both get half credit, just PM me with your e-mail and I'll send it your way(s).

Well, sfrr get's half credit

Correct

is it the Hell Gate (Hellgate?) Bridge?

In 1892, Oliver W. Barnes, an engineer associated with Pennsylvania Railroad president Alexander J. Cassatt and bridge designer Gustav Lindenthal, conceived plans for the Hell Gate Bridge. Cassatt saw the Hell Gate project - originally called the "East River Arch Bridge" - as an opportunity to bring rail traffic from Pennsylvania Railroad routes in New Jersey and points west through New York City to New England. The project was to also tie into the Long Island Rail Road routes, in which the Pennsylvania Railroad had a controlling interest. Meanwhile, Lindenthal saw the Hell Gate project as his chance to construct his Hudson River Bridge, a suspension bridge with a 2,800-foot-long main span that would have been the longest in the world. That same year, the New York Connecting Railroad was incorporated to help realize this plan.

In 1904, Lindenthal, who oversaw the opening of the Williamsburg Bridge and the construction of the ongoing Manhattan Bridge and Queensboro Bridge projects, was chosen as consulting engineer and bridge architect by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which had just acquired the New York Connecting Railroad. Under these auspices, Lindenthal was engaged in a project to connect the tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad in New Jersey, the Long Island Rail Road in Queens, and the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad in the Bronx. Although the project allowed Lindenthal to design the Hell Gate span, it would not include his long-sought goal: a great suspension bridge across the Hudson River. Instead, the Pennsylvania Railroad decided to use exclusive tunnels for rail traffic across the Hudson and East rivers.

cool I was right, thanks for looking around on Lionel's site in the past and seeing there Hellgate bridge model :p

It's an area of the northeastern US including the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Hope I haven't left anybody out. :)

Cheers

AJ

Yeah i used to live in New England for 3 years, lived in the State of Maine in Oxford, now i'm back in The Netherlands but i loved the country side, wonderfull looking places i have seen there.

Congrats Jess. Atleast we have a headquaters now.
Cheers Bro!
--Sean
(no, im not dead, im back:p )

Tbob, congratz on your new site it looks wonderful. Also, I sent you some mail so get back to me when you can.

Back