It's been an interesting 12 years of Trainzing... Happy Anniversary to me!

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Well can't believe I've been at this program for a dozen years. This is by far the longest lived computer program I have ever used. It has out lived 6 computer systems, 5 OS upgrades, and it continues to keep me interested. I started officially with Trainz TRS2004 SP0 on the 28th of December 2003. I was running MSTS at the time and I had purchased Auran's MSTS Paint Shed add-on for MSTS. I never did get that program to work like I wanted, nor could I get the route builder to operate properly in MSTS either as that would crash with a GPF in Windows XP if I looked at it with a blinking eye. Seriously, it was bad and also awkward to use.

So one day I took a look at the Paint Shed box and low and behold there's the www.auran.com website listed. This was the ancient red and black website and all the famous people are on there along with Greg Lane discussing their new Trainz program, content, and so on. It was probably late 2002 when I did that. Not being one to purchase stuff online at the time, I was hesitant to do so and I waited and watched. I downloaded the demo, a single loop of what looks like a bit of the British Midlands route. I drove that, and poked around Surveyor which worked but I couldn't do much with it being a demo. The program crashed too very badly because my old ATI Radeon 8500 didn't like it. This card didn't like much of anything now that I think about it. I kept watching the progress of Trainz and the forums, though I stayed outside the community. I then saw the announcement of TRS2004, a new version, to be released by Merscom in the USA. As soon as it was released, I picked up my copy at CompUSA for $29.99. I still have the box with the price tag on it on my shelf. Little did I know at the time that this was going to be a life changer in many ways.

Around this time, I had some odd health issues going on, which unbeknownst to me were the early signs of things to come. I had a good sized N-scale model railroad in my bedroom which I started a year or so before that. I got the lumber, the framework actually from some old shipping crates from Polaroid where I was working at the time. The frames were perfect because they were table-sized and all I needed to was to put the plywood on the top of them and start model building. Everything went together nicely and I started painting model buildings. This is when I had troubles with paint being slobbered on instead of finely painted. I thought it was just me being a slob, but I could paint for awhile, then I started to drop things, or my hands would shake. And dropping things I did! I dropped an expensive Alco-RS3 model on to the floor. It smashed to a gazillion pieces and that's when I realized something isn't right.

Time went on and the N-scale route became a spider city and a place for my cats to sleep while I spent my time building routes in TRS2004. My new life began so-to-speak, and Trainz proved to be my go-to place when things went rotten. After a diagnosis f focal dystonia, I spent the day using Trainz to escape. Later on in 2006, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and Trainz became my hiding place. To this day, I spend my time, now fully disabled, in Trainz most of the time as it gives me my peaceful respite from the nastiness around me.

During this long journey, I made many friends here, and a few enemies at the time. My time as a moderator was interesting and frustrating, and I would not do that again! Nope. Done with that trick forever. I'd rather be a technician instead and fiddle and fix than play babysitter. Take no offence guys, it just ain't my thing; I don't even like watching my nephews when they visit... During this time I saw the community grow, shrink, and grow again after the great crash along with the loss of some really great folks due to life in general. I miss Alistair, Ed, and so many of whom the current generation will never know personally. I also had the chance to finally meet a couple of local Trainz users right in my area. In 2013 Frank Bartus and I got together for the first time. He lives a short distance, perhaps 10 km away in North Andover, the next town over. We get together and chat often on the phone and Skype. I also got together with Steamboateng and the three of us get together for cookouts, and various events. I even traveled with these guys separately to PA and to Western Mass to investigate the eastern PA coal country and the Berkshires, respectively. This brings a different perspective on the hobby because what was just a typed conversation in the forums became actual contact with real people that shared the same interest. We can sit for hours talking about the same stuff we type about here in the forums, but it's easier saying it instead!

But anyway, Trainz is like and old friend. As I've gotten to know its capabilities, I've also gotten to know its faults. It's not perfect and neither are we. Keep this in mind as we move forward into the future with T:ANE. T:ANE right now is where TRS2004 was back in 2003. There's so much it can do if we give it a chance. As we used to say before, what we can do in Trainz is only up to the limitations of our imagination.

So in closing I want to thank the community here for putting up with me, and I want to thank Auran and now N3V for producing a program that has kept up my interest for so long.

On to the next dozen or more years.

John

Happy Anniversary Dave and Thank you for all the support you giving to me and everyone else in this community. You are a credit to the community. :)

It has likewise been a long track on which I have met many interesting people and it has been worth every cent and all the efforts that I've put into it. And that is, I believe, one of the secrets of any good hobby, you reap what you sow.

Was able to attend several railroad conventions along the way too, where I had the pleasure and honor to meet some of the fine people behind the nicknames.

I'm still amazed at how long Trainz has been able to keep me occupied, entertained, amused and generally stuck before my screen. It has given free reign to the creative side of my interest in all things rail and train, allowing me to imagine and build things virtual that I could never have done if I had been limited to physical models.

I would like to share your toast to all those who have made this possible so far and for many more years to come.

It has likewise been a long track on which I have met many interesting people and it has been worth every cent and all the efforts that I've put into it. And that is, I believe, one of the secrets of any good hobby, you reap what you sow.

Was able to attend several railroad conventions along the way too, where I had the pleasure and honor to meet some of the fine people behind the nicknames.

I'm still amazed at how long Trainz has been able to keep me occupied, entertained, amused and generally stuck before my screen. It has given free reign to the creative side of my interest in all things rail and train, allowing me to imagine and build things virtual that I could never have done if I had been limited to physical models.

I would like to share your toast to all those who have made this possible so far and for many more years to come.

Happy Anniversary John -- :wave:

And on a side note: everything that Martin said applies to me, too ... way back with trainz 1.3, and Trainz on the Road!

Ish

Happy Anniversary to you John, may you have many more years up your sleeve with Trainz.

From one who started some 11 or so years ago with TRS 04, got hooked on it, wanted to create simple scenery items for it. Where I ended up building/creating Australian diesel electric locomotives no one ever build before. Still building and creating as long as I can.

VinnyBarb

Glad to see you're looking forward to a dozen more years John!

I agree this software has brought me great satisfaction and furious frustration at times. :) Some of the toughest times I've leaned on Trainz and it probably kept me out of trouble and on point.

What ever happened to Ed? I've always wondered. He would regularly post in my Highline thread when I was working on my route daily for about a year.

Has it been that long? My, how time flies. Perhaps my Trainz experience is slightly less than John's because I recall buying TS2004 and then TS06 coming out shortly after. I was an MFTS fan prior to that but its version of Surveyor was something I couldn't master. Irecall printing out the manual and it was about the same thickness as the Trainz CCG.

My real interest in Trainz is making content or fiddling around with the aspects of making content. But I've always, since I was a kid, loved trains and especially steam locos.

It's nice to read something positive about Trainz after all the negativity about T:ANE that I think is undeserved.

Happy Anniversary to you John. I dare say Trainz has given many of us a chance to have that dream layout. That dream simulation of our favorite road. Thank you for sharing some of your story and reasons for enjoyiing Trainz for all these years. I too am coming up on an Anniversary. 12 January will be 15 years a member of this forum. Way back before there was even a software game to play. Just tidbits from the devs of what was to come. Here is to all of us longtimers. I hope we have at least another 15 years.

Happy Anniversary John, I hope the next 12 years gives you even more happiness in this outstanding hobby. Thank you for all the support you have personally given me over the past 4 years. Many other 'Trainzers' would have also gained from all the information you provide. Great work mate - we need guys like you - keep it up. I look forward to many more of your comments in the future.
Cheers,
Roy3b3

Thank you all for the congratulations and kudos. :)

As "elder" members of the forums we need to stick together and keep the hobby going forward as well as educate the newcomers. This is something I've been trying to do for some time now.

It's funny, @Mikeman that you mentioned the ultimate model railroad. I never thought of Trainz as being a prototype simulator and instead as a way to bring a model railroad to life. Perhaps it's because the earlier versions were very much a model railroad simulator without all these new interactive industries and the hunt for super realism. What Trainz TRS2004 did for me was to bring a model railroad concept alive that I had started twice and had to give up. With the program now, I was able to build what was to become a sprawling 190 mile railroad it is today. In the process of building, I changed things as I went along and refined my building skills. The same route today is still alive and working in T:ANE, though it does show its age in many places since it's been through multiple Trainz versions along the way. I've been thinking of letting the old route go, archiving it to a DVD somewhere and tucking it in the virtual draw, but I can't. It's like one of those chew rags that little kids have, their first rag that they keep with them until it disintegrates into shreds. A someday project is to not start from scratch completely, but to rebuild the old tattered core to the my new standards and bring everything up-to-date.

In my years here I owe a lot to the people that were here before me. Content Creators and Route Builders such as George Fisher are my mentors. I downloaded George's routes as I found them on the DLS, pulled them apart to see how he did things, then emulated his building processes. As time went on I used his techniques blended into my own to give me what we see today in my work. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't be where I am today in my route building.

Route building isn't just the only area where I learned a lot. The forums in general were a new thing for me back in 2003. I used to go on BBSs before that which were part of the old CompuServe network. They were not the same though, and this was the very first forum I joined as a user. Today, that's different and I belong to others for my varied interests, but this is the first. Being foreign forum too, this was quite different and I learned about other cultures and railroad operations from around the world. It's interesting that we can come from every corner of the globe and share the same interest not only in the prototype but also in the virtual modeling world as well.

John

It is great to (still) have you here, John, after all those years :).
I know your health and joy in the game did not always make it easy, but I fear that's life.
I wasn't here when you started, but I can only wish you are still here when I leave.

I hope you will be in good health and with us for many years to come!

Hey,
From one dinosaur to another, it's been a long track hasn't it... and the train I'm on is just pulling back into the station, but this is for you;

Congratulations on the long road and the good times, and here's to many more years ahead of you.

:)

Happy Anniversary, John. I've been at it just a little shorter time, but not by much. Maybe we ought to get narrowgauge to slide in here, too. LOL.

BIll

John and Bill,

Congratulations, it shows that if you have a good thing you will stick with it

I fell for the temptation in November 2001, I think it was about the 21st. I still have the disks with hand applied labels. If my calculation is correct, I have clocked up over 13 years. I'm 87 in a weeks time so I may not be all that involved next year. I hope I am.

Despite comments to the contrary it was advertised on the Aus Christmas TV as a Model Railway Simulator, if it had been advertised as a railway simulator I would have probably ignored it. I already had MSTS and was not impressed. I'm a modeler not a driver. GMAX was a magical thing.

I remember when they decided that the KUID system was needed and we were all allocated user IDs in alphabetical order starting from 30000.

Looking back, those were wonderful days. Oh well!

Peter

Last edited:
Peter,

You'll be around a lot longer than you think since Trainz will keep you going as you tinker with it. :)

I remember reading the old forums back then - they were quite unique with Greg Lane bouncing around the idea of puzzle pieces of sorts where the Rail Yard would display the installed content the user purchased separately, while Driver was another piece, and so was Surveyor. Greg and his puzzle pieces! He had a few more after that right into TRS2006 just before he left with the Fury fiasco. Even when I joined it was fun times; sometime silly too with John Banks coming in and handing out waffle cards.

I remember too when John's wife had their baby. A boy I think, oh so many years ago now. Definitely times to look back on. :D

I do miss Euphod though. I wish he'd poke in here more often.

John

Back