Is there a Layout Procedure Tutorial ?

wklang

I've been playing around with Trainz since it first came out and currently have TRS2006.

I've used existing tutorials on how to lay track, instantial buildings, trees, etc.

However....my "layouts" still look terribly crude....especially in comparison with many marvellously interesting/detailed layouts I've seen on the DLS.

My primary interest is creating believable, middle-American, small towns in the 1930-1950 timeframe - towns which incorporate train traffic, small business districts surrounded by residential areas, and light manufacturing, but which which are not sites for immense train yards and rolling stock maintenance facilities.

Has anyone published a book/tutorial (payware or otherwise) which goes step-by-step through the process of starting with blank boards, forming the land and laying out the town?

My long-term goal is to be to learn over several years to create a small layout similar to those seen in Model Railraoder. I realize that this skill does not come without a great deal of effort, but at this point I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Wes

Hi Wes, to get you started you may like to download a DEM file from Fishlipsatwork site http://www.fishlips.net/Trainz/. He has many and are mainly American based with some being quite large and requiring some idea of the location. You will need to download the Hog Textures to see the various colours used (they are also avaiable from his site).

The various Hog Colours used mean;

Tiger Lines:
Red = Roads, Big line = big road, small line = small road
Blue = Rivers, Shorelines
Black = Political Boundaries, (counties etc.)
Teal = Rail lines
Light green = Small streams

You will also find various others layouts of his on the download station, just look under his name.

This will be a great start for you and allow you imagination to go "wild" :p

Hope this helps,

Craig
:):):)

P.S. A DEM file is a layout using Topographic maps and provides all the Rail lines, Roads Hills etc for you to work around.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with Trainz since it first came out and currently have TRS2006.

I've used existing tutorials on how to lay track, instantial buildings, trees, etc.

However....my "layouts" still look terribly crude....especially in comparison with many marvellously interesting/detailed layouts I've seen on the DLS.

My primary interest is creating believable, middle-American, small towns in the 1930-1950 timeframe - towns which incorporate train traffic, small business districts surrounded by residential areas, and light manufacturing, but which which are not sites for immense train yards and rolling stock maintenance facilities.

Has anyone published a book/tutorial (payware or otherwise) which goes step-by-step through the process of starting with blank boards, forming the land and laying out the town?

My long-term goal is to be to learn over several years to create a small layout similar to those seen in Model Railraoder. I realize that this skill does not come without a great deal of effort, but at this point I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks,

Wes

The thing is to plan it out on paper before you start so you know just what you whant and how it will operate, and then take your time, bit by bit, start small 1 or 2 boards, when your brain dries up, go away and do something else, come back the next day fresh, I have 5 Routes in the building stage at the moment, all with different styles, but the main thing is to enjoy, even if you think they are not so good, send them in, or post pictures in the screenshots section, others will soon give you some feedback ( good or bad ) it this way you learn from your mistakes, and overcome any problems, at te end of the day its not important that you are the best but that you do the best you can, and have fun doing it,

goodluck, if you get stuck or need help you can always E-Mial my or send me a private message, I am here every day normaly form 0800 to 1900

My advice would be "Go Prototypical".Find a railway with an interesting Track layout or Terrain (preferably one close to where you live!) Either download or buy a DEM map (you"re in the States which is better served with DEM).Download Google Earth satellite photos so you can get the colours of fields and so on correct.Use whatever is the U.S. equivalent of the UK Ordnance Survey Maps to get accurate Track Layouts and dimensions.Download routes from your area and see how they have done it , and of course the Routes will bring with them suitable Content to use on your Route.Take photos of the line you are modelling.Pay special attention to the Signalling and Track used.Its amazing what a visual difference good Track makes to your Route so look at all the types available! If you do all this route cannot look crude - I still keep the first version of my proto Route just to have a snigger at it from time to time at how awful it looks.Hope this helps...:cool:

For learning Surveyor, go to the links and go through every link you can find for a Trainz site. Look for Tutorial sections of these websites. There are varios Surveyor tutorials that show many things, such as how to lay tracks through moutains and valleys to signal set-up. Here's a topic with a list of some:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=3345

Back