A few questions.

SeanW

Hi everyone.

I am working on a very large TRS 2006 route called Halsiburg, so named after its main city, a fictional layout. The theme I'm going for is Western world (nowhere in particular, I'm being particularly careful to make it both familiar and foreign to anyone in the Western world, in equal measure). Temperate but warm climate, everything posh and clean and bright (except the industrial zones and poorer neighborhoods). When it's finished, it's going to have a long quad track electrified high spec. mainline, a Metro system, some freights, some tram networks and even a Railway Museum, which will have probably stock steam engines and a preservation line. There will also be lots of "divided highway" type roads for people to run buses on (I understand there's a small bus enthusaist crew in TRS). The project will be released public domain when it's finished, having worked on it on and off for a little under a year I would say it is 50-60% complete.

However I will need some help and have a few questions.

First of all, I read on these forums that you can change the traffic on the roads in a route, but I did not read any links provided at that time. This has probably been thrashed out before, but can you change the cars that drive your roads in TRS2006 and if so how?

Secondly, I have a lot of high quality long distance Motorway (the European name for Interstate quality highways) as well as various qualities of Dual Carriageway (low quality highway) in the route (all drawn out as JJs road stripe splines on AJS Street Kit texture), but the cars drive it at the same speed as the city streets, gravel tracks and corners - i.e. 20MPH. and in the centre lanes no less!
Is there any way I can increase the speed of cars on certain types of road? (I'm using a separate/downloaded class of Invisible Road for the Motorways and DCs).

Since I've decided to have a railway museum with steam engines, turntables, sheds and a preservation line just outside the route's main city, I will obviously need to cover someone taking a steam engine out in Cab mode (i.e. need to have lineside coaling and water towers) how do I set that up?

I've also seen in various screenshots people doing stuff much better than what I've been able to accomplish so far. Things like lineside vegetation I'm starting to get better with as I've found a group of 4 beautiful hedgerow splines and adding people to the streets of my cities and towns will probably make them more lifelike, but there are still problems.
For example, none of my street scens are as lifelike as this:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=407389&postcount=2122
and others have done some very good urban works. Any advice on how to get the most realistic urban environments possible?

My bridges, overpasses and embankents are somewhat pathetic - I just use the terrain tools in Surveyor to make embankments, and a small set of concrete decks and bridge piers for almost everything - railways, motorways, dual carriageways and in limited cases, even local streets.
On the other hand, some of you guys have embankments and overpasses that leave my efforts in the halfpenny place. There are better examples, but here's one example I saw today - this guy is even using the same mainline track as me (ctMRTc01_base) but has a nicer bridge than anything I've set up to date. I even saw one example of an overpass where the slope underneath was realistically concrete'd, I think it was in one of the U.S. or BNSF threads.
Again, I've begun aggressively searching DLS for new bridges and embankments, but if someone could demonstrate the best bridge/embankment setup possible (in particular the best that can be done with 4 lines of ctMRTc_01, Swedish spacing) and explain how it's done, that would be great.

Also ground vegetation: Although I'm getting somewhere with better lineside hedgerows, I've seen loads of screenshots on this forum where they had copious amounts of well controlled vegetation, like wild grasses, weeds, crops, here is one example where they have corn (I think): http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/7091/kcc39uo.jpg

Also I intend to share some screenshots that I have taken over the last few days - which photo sharing service is the best?

Now here's the part where I REALLY beg :wave:

I can't really do anything outside Surveyor at the moment, so I may need some help with assets - primarily custom road signs for my (nearly finished but very bare) motorway and dual carriageway network, station announcement assets for the train stations, and eventually, when I've finished building everything, I will need scripting for the various activities (driving the electric passenger trains & trams, the steam engine, any buses etc.)

Finally (and this might be the biggest beg of all) if someone has an urban layout that they wouldn't mind being borrowed for a good cause, I could use it for the 3rd and last main city in my route, Riesa, for which I haven't even laid the baseboards yet. Riesa will be a fairly important part of the route, although not as large as Halsiburg it will be the point where the Halsiburg Mainline and the motorway respectively interchange with the national network and so there will be some large junctons there.
Pinching an already laid out urban area could save me months of work on the project and give it some new perspective.

Back