Is there a free alternative to 3dsMax for non- animated content creation?

I am not finding substitutes on the DLS for a lot of buildings and backdrops I want for a route I am working on. Is there a free software available for me to create some of my own content?

Cayden video tutorials are pack full of good information but they will make your eyes glaze over while watching all of them. He uses pay ware tools and Blender addons to do what he does. Most newer potential content creators will never go down that road to learn how to make content like that. The Trainz creating process is very involved now and most people are still creating their content in older versions of Trainz. As much as I want to make new PBR content, It's simply not worth all the effort anymore.

Not free, but I think 3D Crafter (formerly 3D Canvas) also exports Trainz format with the Trainworks plug in but again probably not 100% up to date for TRS2022 standards.

So are the free add-ons for Blender that you can use to accomplish the final result for a Trainz asset? I don’t expect to attempt any animation, just buildings and backdrops.

Y
So are the free add-ons for Blender that you can use to accomplish the final result for a Trainz asset? I don’t expect to attempt any animation, just buildings and backdrops.
You don't need any addons to make Trainz content in Blender, but there are definitely useful ones out there both free and paid.

The key information on exporting to Trainz is here: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Export_from_Blender_using_FBX

The best advice is to give it a go and see how you get on!

As a new content creator, with no reference to how content was made before TRS19, I can say Blender can appear overwhelming at first but it will become easier with time. Cayden’s “Blender for Trainz “ is great for learning only what you need to know about Blender to get assets built. If you want to create your own assets, it’s worth the effort.

And now for a word from an orphan in the creation world, an program that used to be included with Trainz for free - GMax. The baby brother of the professional 3d Studio, it is a simpler 3d modelling program that is easy to use and is still good for making backgrounds and distant buildings and when wrapped in Trainz Asset Creation Studio, exports IM files directly for Trainz. If you add some bump mapped textures, they can look pretty good too. It's still freely available around the Internet.
If you have ambitions of eventually making more sophisticated objects, I would skip GMax and go for more modern programs.

That's the problem with Gmax now.

Like when I started with Wings3D for another game, you eventually will outgrow what it can do and then your stuck again at the bottom of a learning curve to adapt to a new workflow and interface.

Better to start with a modern program like Blender.

Back