Interesting details about the future of MPS hiding in the TRS22PE product page

wreeder

RGS Railfan
Included with TRS22PE is access to a "Free tier of MPS". This implies that there will also be non-free tiers as well. Perhaps another subscription? I do recall that the concept of MPS being a subscription service was mentioned when it was first announced in December 2021. Further, it appears that the free tier will be limited to just the routes that N3V makes available to be edited much as it is now. I guess if you want to work with your friends to build a new route then you will have to wait for a future upgrade. Now you and your friends can go off to a corner and work together there but of course any other user could find your work and deface it. Also, to fulfill the need to balance the load on the servers, N3V has the right to shift users around between servers so meeting up with your friends might be pretty difficult in the first place.

I think you are wrong about that. When someone starts a new route, they are in charge of it and can limit those who can join in on editing the route. You can also limit those who you invite to do certain editing.

I believed that too at the introduction but then I started seeing complaints about people not being able to invite friends. Certainly, the guys at N3V can edit permissions that way as I saw them do it live. I just don't think the ability to edit permissions ever made it to the end user. I could be wrong.

Here is what the page says:

Multiplayer Surveyor FAQ​

What is Multiplayer Surveyor?​

• MPS is where you can join forces to build your dream railroad online in real time with others. At any time switch to Driver Mode and drive on the tracks you just built.
  • MPS creates a whole new dynamic to enjoying Trainz. Join our Discord server and chat online with your friends as you build worlds together. Issue roles when building your railroad, and change roles when you switch to driving mode. The options are endless.

What differences are there for MPS access for TRS22PE owners?​

• MPS is the first part of our long term plan to create "Trainz Live" - a persistent world where your railroad runs 24-7, just like in the real world.
  • With the release of TRS22PE, we're expanding access to MPS to include all TRS22PE owners under a new "TRS22PE MPS Access Plan".
  • The TRS22PE MPS Access Plan provides a selection of routes to join. This will ensure the best possible experience, with more players spread across fewer routes. The goal here is for groups to form and work together to create their world rather than having lots of people working on their own personal project (which can just as easily be done offline).
  • We will carefully monitor the number of players in each route and create more routes as demand requires.
  • More concurrent users also means higher server loads, and potentially a drop in performance for everyone. To ensure these peak loads are carefully managed, we reserve the right to adjust the number of users allowed into any given route and also the total number of users at any one time.
  • Trainz Plus Standard and Trainz Plus Gold members will be given priority access to the servers under times of extreme load

Hi Wreeder
TRS22 (and by extension TRS22 Platinum Edition) have access to the 'free tier' Multiplayer Surveyor, which is limited to a selection of MPS copies of built-in routes. To be able to create your own MPS routes, or join MPS routes created by other users, you will need to be using a TrainzPlus version of Traijnz. This is the same as it has been since TRS22 was released.

Regards

TRS22PE MPS Access PlanI believed that too at the introduction but then I started seeing complaints about people not being able to invite friends. Certainly, the guys at N3V can edit permissions that way as I saw them do it live. I just don't think the ability to edit permissions ever made it to the end user. I could be wrong.

Here is what the page says:
Note: That text has changed since I read it about 9 hours ago. Then it said TRS22PE Free tier now it says TRS22PE MPS Access Plan.

Hi Wreeder
TRS22 (and by extension TRS22 Platinum Edition) have access to the 'free tier' Multiplayer Surveyor, which is limited to a selection of MPS copies of built-in routes. To be able to create your own MPS routes, or join MPS routes created by other users, you will need to be using a TrainzPlus version of Traijnz. This is the same as it has been since TRS22 was released.

Regards
I'm not doubting you as I'm sure that was the case since you were there. But I'm sure I would have noticed that restriction had it appeared in print somewhere. I remember MPS in TRS22 being promoted as the same feature as in Train Plus. Now perhaps at the time of the launch, MPS in TRS22 was the same as it was in Trainz Plus and MPS has gone on to be improved since while TRS22 MPS has not been improved as far by your choice. Perhaps what was included in TRS22 should have been referred to as MPS Lite or MPS Trial version to avoid the confusion.

Back