Is Poland really so drab/dirty?

Don't get me wrong, I love the assets made by the Polish creators, especially their texturing. But so many of the buildings are so dark, dirty and depressing, it makes me wonder if Poland in general is like that (I've never been there) or is it maybe just a post-war period that is being modelled? Please pardon my ignorance.

~ Deane

It is probably just some postwar era stuff. Most of our cities still have that type of building mixed with the newer stuff. I am not sure which Portland you are talking about though, Oregon or Maine. In any case Portland, Oregon is pretty cool because of all of the tunnels underneith it used to shanghai, or kidnap and force into labor, people.

Edit, back in the olden days that is. I just want to clear that up.

POLAND, not PORTLAND. I would assume that the dirtiness would just make it look amazingly real. Something that looks dirty is easier to make look real than something that looks clean. Just my thoughts.

I think a lot of the post-war re-construction was done by the (then) Russian influenced Communist government, who were more concerned with getting factories and apartments built than what they looked like. Many of these buildings are getting a bit long in the tooth now, but have still not been replaced. I guess it's these kinds of buildings you are referring to.

Personally I love the models of run-down 1960's buildings - they're perfect for many parts of the UK too... :eek:

Paul

Drab and dirt, I'd imagine, is utilized to create a more realistic effect. If you notice, the same concept is used in a lot of other work besides the Polish routes and content. For instance, many of the high quality diesel locomotives are made with very dark shadows in corners (this is known as Ambient Occlusion for those who are modeling savvy), and also can be significantly weathered. Since TRS has no real sun and shadow effect, it makes sense that dirt and drab, rust and rundown is a realistic effect within the game.

Cheers,
John

Well, I guess just to clarify this a bit, I'll step in.

I've been to Poland a few times, and I can indeed say that it is as drab as you lot think. It's not as bad now since the Polish have had a bit of time to improve things from what they once were, but nevertheless, there are still a lot of places that look like they did during Russian occupation. I remember when I first went there several years ago. Almost all the cars were Fiat 126's, and a lot of the buildings had absolutely the most garish colors imaginable. Ever seen a crumbling house with vivid, purple paint? After the Russians left they got their hands on whatever they could that wasn't available to them during occupation, and paint aside from different shades of green, gray and brown was one of them.

Unfortunately, I never really have had much opportunity to really take a look at their railroad infrastructure. On the occasion I have seen it though it looks, well, Polish; and I think you chaps can guess what I mean from there.

On a slightly different note, one of Poland's neighbors, namely the Czech Republic, also looks more or less as drab, although to a somewhat lesser degree for some reason. Wherever I've gone it still looks like nothing has changed since Russian occupation, but for some inexplicable reason it's a bit more pleasant. One example of sorts can be found in the railroad station in Semily where I was on a mission trip with a youth group. The station has in effect three dispatchers, one in the middle and two at the ends. When a train comes, the two at the ends lower the level crossing barriers and set the points by hand whilst the chap at the middle of the station sets the postwar OSShD light signals. It's an interesting setup that's quite fascinating to watch.

WileeCoyote:D

So those Polish modellers aren't exaggerating. Hmmm. Next time someone says my car needs a wash, I'll just tell them it's not dirty, it's just "ambient occluded" or possibly Polish.

"Portland"...what a classic. :hehe:

Last edited:
Well, we're not so spiffy ourselves......

I think we should do a comparison between Warsaw, Poland
and Detroit, Mich. and see which looks better!

:p

Stephen

It is probably just some postwar era stuff. Most of our cities still have that type of building mixed with the newer stuff. I am not sure which Portland you are talking about though, Oregon or Maine. In any case Portland, Oregon is pretty cool because of all of the tunnels underneith it used to shanghai, or kidnap and force into labor, people.

Edit, back in the olden days that is. I just want to clear that up.

LOL, readfail. you must be drunk.

Back in the USA...

:cool: Folks, there are thousands of locations from West Virginia down to the Georgia state line that don't see the sun until about 10AM & it goes below the next ridge at about 3PM.

The principal industry is of course coal since the ground is too rocky or steep for farming on a large scale.

Though being poor is not what the locals consider they really are about(Dolly Parton can tell you about her childhood), poverty nevertheless abounds.

Mortality rates for babies is high in some of these regions.

The education systems are plagued by low tax rates, graduates leave the area mostly never to return.

Junk yards, illegal garbage dumping, ruins the view in quite a few places.

An observation by a citizen of the United States of America on another country in my opinion bounds that person to one day visit other countries, get to know people, etc to get the real view of their lives.

Thats because there isn't 5 miles total of flat ground in West Virginia!! I used to hate to drive through that state!!

Here in Cornwall we have quite a few Polish immigrants looking for a better quality of life... Even our local supermarket now has a Polish section.
Dennis

Back