Miss Manners and the case of "Payware, Freeware or No-ware"

For me, creating objects for trainz has generally been a case of needing something that I couldn't find anywhere else. I remember the first construction guide I made with the help of some very friendly people on the forum. A simple target to help lineup objects I was placing in Surveyor. Since then, the guides have expanded to many different types but each one was in response to a specific need I had during the construction of various routes. As a consequence, my routes are very slow to build since I constantly stop to make yet another object.

Once the first several objects were made, I discovered it was fun just to make objects. Not just because I'm an engineer but being able to manipulate materials, even if they are virtual, to create something was very satisfying. Thus many of the more recent objects were made not because there wasn't something available but just because I could.

Once they were in Surveyor and functioning, I sent many to the DLS. Mainly because I thought it would be a nice thing to do, to share with others who might have a similar need but couldn't for whatever reason make them. There was also a small bit of ego involved. Seeing my name listing in route dependencies, seeing the objects in other people's routes was a bit of a thrill. Plus watching the download count increase month after month was also flattering. With altogether more than 11 million copies of various objects downloaded, very flattering indeed. :cool:

In closing, because it's fun and for my own pleasure, getting public accolades, although welcome and nice, are not that important. If that's what you're waiting for to start or continue, you'll be pretty disappointed. To it for yourself, everything else is a bonus. :)

Lest you readers are tempted to to label me a "whiner", or that I am speaking only for myself, [...]

You are definitely not! It is sometimes very frustrating to experience the lethargy of most common users and even content creators. Seems the Trainz community is also degraded to a complete consumer society. They take everything as an one way street, first and foremost taking, taking, taking, not to forget demanding…

I myself learned huge parts of my knowledge from other cc of the first generation (of whom most are gone already!) and still like to share it (lately also in a blog here). But without any feedback, the motivation disappears more and more…

Mick!

Back