Is MP still down?

Well, I,m sorry but like it or not, N3V Games ARE responsible for the server even if it is indirectly. It is N3V Games responsibility to provide an efficient, reliable server and if they can,t then their customers will migrate to other Games that can be relied opon.

Thats not at all true. Saying that is kinda like blaming the company that made your stove for your tea being cold when the power went out.

Unless you are paying N3V for you to use their online service, they are not responsible for it. Like if this where a World of Warcraft forum. And the WoW server just shut down. Then you could say that its Bilizzard's responsibility to fix them and insure reliable servers are in place.

Now I'm no networking guru, but I do like to think I know a thing or two, even if I don't. But if N3V where to invest in their own servers that would cost a lot of money. Money that N3V would have to earn/make up. They could earn more by charging more for what they offer, or making many things available for charge. Say, $100 USD for TRS12, $60 for a 3 month FTC, or even $10 to get basic access to the DLS for a few months. But I think with the way N3V dose it not, charging only $50 USD (When not on sale) for TRS12, free limited access to the DLS with the option to pay for better DLS service, and a free online component is a fair deal. When you look at what else is on the markets. (Talking Railworks and the fact that I had to spend close to $100 USD to get any enjoyment out of it)

If you REALLY want to talk about 3rd party server issues look to the PS3 and the Play Station Network (PSN). While Sony builds the PS3, and provides the software for PSN, they do not have any control over the PSN's hardware. The servers are owned by another company, I want to say Phoenix Servers or some thing like that. About 2 years ago their servers when attacked by hackers and where down for 3 months.

To move to new servers inst just as easy and "Copy and past a few files" or move a few wires to new plugs. First N3V would need to find some one who can provide the same service at a competitive coast. Then they need to transfer every thing, whole systems of data to the new server. They may also have to pay a fee to Softlayer/The Planet to get out of what ever contract they have now.

My last point to make, if the servers where located in Australia, the service would be much worse. I have never heard any thing good about Australian internet.

Hi All
As per our announcement here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?97889-iTrainz-Server-Maintentance-January-22nd-2013

We are currently performing maintenance on the iTrainz servers, and they are offline at this time.

Unfortunately, as per the announcement, we have experienced some issues and further work was required to rectify this to help ensure that the iTrainz system will be stable when it is bought back online.

The above thread has a number of additions to the announcement, which were posted a few hours prior to Jimabbey's posts. We do request that you read the announcements if you are seeing an outage, in case it is planned (or unplanned) maintenance that has been announced.

We will have the iTrainz system back online as soon as possible, however we do not have an ETA on when this will be.

Regards

If they (N3V games) And it is Advertised as part of TRAINZ ,it should be Running,If a new person came on and wanted to use the MP function,and they get nothing but excuses in Why the Can't use a product they paid good money for ,They Will go elsewhere. It IS N3V games responsibility to Maintain the service, I say Cut out the Excuses.End Of Discussion!

Hi All
As per our announcement here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?97889-trains-Server-Maintentance-January-22nd-2013

We are currently performing maintenance on the trains servers, and they are offline at this time.

Unfortunately, as per the announcement, we have experienced some issues and further work was required to rectify this to help ensure that the iTrainz system will be stable when it is bought back online.

The above thread has a number of additions to the announcement, which were posted a few hours prior to Jimabbey's posts. We do request that you read the announcements if you are seeing an outage, in case it is planned (or unplanned) maintenance that has been announced.

We will have the iTrainz system back online as soon as possible, however we do not have an ETA on when this will be.

Regards

In my owne defence I saw Maintenance for the (22nd) and I should have looked further Down,but I would have started a new thread about the RIAD issue. So discussions like this could have been avoided.

If the multiplayer server is down for maintenance or an upgrade etc! than I have no objection whatsoever. Back to my previous argument which was based on the overall reliability of Trainz Multiplayer. Jib has missed the main point which I,ll try to explain in a different way. If I was a passenger on a train which hit a cow and became disabled my grievance would be with the TOC (Train Operating Company) not the farmer who owned the cow. Why?. Because my contract is with the TOC to convey me from A to B for a fixed fee, not the farmer. I expect the TOC to honor their contract by any means possible which includes providing an alternative means of transport if necessary. In the UK the TOC would also have a grievance, but not against the farmer, either. They have a contract with Network Rail to provide a Train Path so their grievance is with Network Rail and would expect compensation. It is, in fact Network Rail who have a grievance against the Farmer because his cow is preventing them fulfilling their contract. In other words if you buy TS12 with the intention of playing multiplayer which has been promoted by N3V Games as part of their marketing strategey you are not interested in where the multiplayer server is or who owns it. Or indeed how multiplayer actually works. You expect to be able to play multiplayer most of the time, maintenance etc! apart. The fact that there is not a fee for multiplayer is not the point. If N3V Games choose to sell a multiplayer game with free server access, then that is a marketing decision made by them, and if they cannot provide a free multiplayer option then they should consider other, more reliable options. And, yes, one option is charging a fee for multiplayer. But that is not the point. If you buy a multiplayer game and can,t reasonably play multiplayer that is a breach of Consumer Law in the UK as the product is deemed not to be of merchantable quality and the customer would be entitled to ask for a refund. And by the way Jib, If I bought a stove and couldn,t use it due to a power cut my grievance would be with the power company as I have contracted them to provide power.

I can see where you are coming from colourlight, but there's also timezone issues to consider. Australia is 11/12 hours ahead of Universal Coordinated Time, whereas the USA is anything between 3 and 6 hours behind Universal Coordinated Time.

Shane

there's also timezone issues to consider
The world became a 24/7 place a long time ago.
10 years ago it was already possible to write a piece of code that monitors availability when you are asleep and it can also automatically send a mail to who ever needs to act.
A server center does not shut down outside office hours.

In other words: Time differences became no longer an excuse over a decade ago.

Back