iPortal

Kelly88

Does anybody actualy use this system, and if so how do you contact each other to set it up, I have never seen any body talking about this on the forums

I would like to find someone who uses it as I have several questions to ask, my time zone is GMT +1, and I am normaly available from 0900 untill 1830 every day

can use this forum/E-Mail/Ms-Messanger or Skype
also Trainz Chat but this seems to me to be a dead end, always the same guys/gals with nothing to say

I wait the rush !!

Well I have read the manual and I have also been to the link you give
but thats not the question, I know how to set it up, I have a small yard set up ready to experiment with, I just need some one else with the time and interest to experiment with the system, I cant send trainz to myself !!!

Kelly88,

See here. Also iPortal is mentioned in the manual on pages 232-243.

HTH

Dave

I love the system myself.

The problem has been with the lack of maps that you can actually use it with. And getting people to use it with as well.

We were talking the other day (Boco,Louise,Bear, myself and two more) about setting some kinda multi map iportal thing

you should check with us on chat.

cheers

I use it all the time. I have 3 computers, each with it's own copy and ID. I sent trains back and forth between them all the time. The main thing is that when using it it, both parties need to have the same content loaded.

As a NS engineer, I have downloaded and use alot of NS rolling stock. I run alot of coal trains. The trains load at a mine on computer #1, run to computer #2 where it might go to a power plant on that computer or it could just run through to computer #3 and get unloaded at a power plant on that computer. The empties trains then get sent back to computer #1 to get reloaded and sent back to a power plant. I also run regular freight and intermodal trains back and forth.

Can you tell that I love my job? :D

we were just discussing that the other day on chat.

Main problem is with the rolling stock. As trainz do not have an auto update or download stuff, getting someone's else content when a train is transferred is the problem.

we were just discussing that the other day on chat.

Main problem is with the rolling stock. As trainz do not have an auto update or download stuff, getting someone's else content when a train is transferred is the problem.

well thats all well and fine, the route that each person uses is not really important, as the others will not see this, their involvement stops at the point the train they send enters the exit portal on their route, and from then untill it is sent back doesnt involve them, apart from the fact they may have sent a train to be loaded with coal and it returns with ballast or some other comodity, or does not return at all, it is like each person is the dispatcher for his own section, it will even as you say not even be desitined to my section, just passing through, but as dispatcher on my section it would be me that forwards it on to the next, and returns it to you afterwards, and this is one of the things that I need clearing up

If you have section 1 me section2 and someone else section 3
when you send it to me do you send it just to my portal and then I take it over or can you send it through to me with instructions to load at my industry and then return to you, or when it arrives here I have to give it the instructions to load and return it back to you, or are both options available,

As for the Chat Link, I have been there as you know, and there are always the same people there, but with all respect you dont realy do or say anything with any real meaning, there is or there has been none each time I come in discusions about anything related to Trainz , I maybe wrong but thats what I have seen, its why I dont hang around long !!

now I have set up a small yard in 2006 there is no actual place , its just 2 Iports for entry into the system that goes to a holding yard, 10 tracks that can hold 1 engine and 20 wagons, from there you can just go to one of 8 different industrys to load or 10 different industrys to unload, after witch there are 6 exit iports, so its just a arrive take you place in the que, load or discharge, and return, this means I can accept 2 units inbound at the same time, service up to 18 units a the same time and return them to 6 different destinations, it was just to see how the system works, as far as rolling stock is concerned is just a matter of every one agreeing as to what stock is used, and each person making sure they have this downloaded, not such a big problem, the biggest problem I can see is the time zones, or if you send me a unit and I am off line does it arrive with me the next time I log in, ( does it wait on Aurans Server and wait, or must you all be online at the same time
?

Kelly88, both parties need to be online to be able to use iportal. There is no diferred passing of trains.

There is talk about trainz stuff in chat, but also talk about some other stuff that relates to trainz like hardware and off topic convos too. The thing is that if someone comes in with a real Trainz question or topic you will find a lot of peeps listening and participating. Timezones in chat also applies and many like to stay connected even while their are AFK or sleeping so some could be idle at times.

cheers

Hi,

When I actually get the layout finished that I am working on, it has been setup for IPortals, theres 8 of them on the layout in total.

It has been setup that industries are located in a way that if 4 people have the layout each other supply products to each other. Kinda hard to explain actually, but if you would like to read about it, check my website.

http://members.westnet.com.au/nightcrawler/trainz/index.htm

But its not required that you all have the same route/layout that would defete the object, only that you operate or at least have in your local folder all the rolling stock and motive power as each other, it would not even be required to run on the same side , I could run left handed and you right, every one would have their own route, A-B-C-D you just need a min of 1 line in and 1 line out for each of the other players so in the above you need 1 IN and 3 OUT,

Seen the pics Kelly88. Looks great.

Yes, I understand the concept. I'm sure we can try using the default rolling stock to begin with.

I think I could modify industrial wasteland map to include up to four Iportals to allow two in and two out.

Will look into it.

Seen the pics Kelly88. Looks great.

Yes, I understand the concept. I'm sure we can try using the default rolling stock to begin with.

I think I could modify industrial wasteland map to include up to four Iportals to allow two in and two out.

Will look into it.

Problem here is that I have so much additional stuff in my local folder I no longer know what is built in and what is from the DLS, best way is just to make a list of items that every one mast have, each person would need to ensure they DLed these items, and only these items to be used in the sessions,

But its not required that you all have the same route/layout that would defete the object, only that you operate or at least have in your local folder all the rolling stock and motive power as each other, it would not even be required to run on the same side , I could run left handed and you right, every one would have their own route, A-B-C-D you just need a min of 1 line in and 1 line out for each of the other players so in the above you need 1 IN and 3 OUT,

No, it's not required that both people have the same layout(route) installed, brother and I were working on 2 seperate layouts but then he got lazy and was taking too long to finish so I packaged up mine and gave him to install.

He made a few changes, like replace some industries with others and setup the IPortals with the needed changes to work between us.

To be honest, I'm not sure what would happen if you tired to send a 'consist' that was made up of locomotive(s) and rolling stock that the other person didn't have installed. This is no problem for myself and brother as he has just about everything I have, except the payware stuff I have.

I'll get it finished one day... ;)

Back