Somewhere I read on the Forum an Ipad user does not show a registered
version next to their username ?
And why ?
It is a great benefit to members to be wary of a poster that does not
show a registered version . Should this feature not be implemented
to all posters ?

Very curious , --- ,DLR

Last edited:
Laptop users will be using a standard full version of TRS. So that version will be registered and appear next to your name. iPad users are using the special iPad version which I believe does not have a serial number and hence no indication next to their name.

peter

PerRock ,

Thanks for the info , I have edited my OT to show only Ipad users .
But I believe they should have some type of verification !

--- ,dave

Last edited:
Unfortunately since the iPad does not use a CD KEY scheme, our web services currently have no way to confirm whether or not a given user has purchased the product. We are working on improvements to this process.

chris

chris ,

Thanks for the quick reply !
I am hoping you can come up with something soon(tm) !

This thread can be closed --- ,dave

Unfortunately since the iPad does not use a CD KEY scheme, our web services currently have no way to confirm whether or not a given user has purchased the product. We are working on improvements to this process.

chris

I was wondering, Chris. Instead of using a CD-Key, why not use the MAC address from the machine where the software is installed? That would solve the registration issue, I would think?

I'm not a programmer - just a system support guy and network admin.

John

I was wondering, Chris. Instead of using a CD-Key, why not use the MAC address from the machine where the software is installed? That would solve the registration issue, I would think?

Because a CD KEY uniquely identifies a legitimate copy of a software product, and can't be made up by a third party, whereas a MAC address uniquely identifies a particular hardware device and we would have no idea whether someone was simply making it up.

In short: MAC addresses solve a completely different problem, so aren't really useful here.

kind regards,

chris

The only trouble I can see with a MAC address, John, is that if a person ever wanted to change to another machine, they'd be unable to re-register the new MAC address. Unless, of course, a new one is just ADDED to the list of serial numbers in a user's profile. But then, a MAC address is tied to the machine, not the game.

EDIT: I just have to type faster.

Bill

The only trouble I can see with a MAC address, John, is that if a person ever wanted to change to another machine, they'd be unable to re-register the new MAC address. Unless, of course, a new one is just ADDED to the list of serial numbers in a user's profile. But then, a MAC address is tied to the machine, not the game.

EDIT: I just have to type faster.

Bill

Very true, Bill. What made me think of this was way back in my old Polaroid days, I used to support the installation of ProEngineer, which used the MAC address of the computer where it was installed instead of a dongle and CD-Key. This changed of course with Pro-E 2000 when that came out, but the early installs were done with the MAC.

Adding the new MAC in would be a simple way of registering and reregistering software particularly now that we have websites to deal with instead of fax machines and reems of paper to send over to the software developer/publisher. ;)

John

Well, it's a good idea. But, what Chris is saying is that the MAC address wouldn't tell them (or us for that matter) if the user was legitimate. My current MAC address is: 00 1E 90 4E 24 A0 but that could change if I put in a new Ethernet card.

Bill

Back