indiana and ohio railroad

CattyPatty

CEO of BTL RR
I am modeling my first prototypical line as close as possiable as the origional line. The Indiana &Ohio railway (IORY) is a shortline railroad with second hand locos. I am only modeling the line runs from valley jct ohio to brooksville indiana. I am using Checkrails dem for the project. To start off we have a few shots. Feedback is encouraged.
cattypatty_20130120_0000.jpg

cattypatty_20130120_0001.jpg

cattypatty_20130120_0002.jpg

cattypatty_20130120_0003.jpg

Is there a chance you could create one thread for all of your projects, instead of plenty of cyber-junk threads that go nowhere

Jamie

Thanks dermmy for the luck also what made you stop making this route a while back?

IMHO the original I&O would make a brilliant model railway. Both Brookville and Ceder Grove and could be compressed enough to get the whole railway into a reasonably small space but still operate exactly as the prototype does. Valley Junction could either be a simple staging yard or it too could be modelled with very little compromise.

In my opinion though this simplicity works against the route in Trainz. The entire route is virtually level, so there is no real driving challenge and the operating pattern is so simple that I just thought the amount of work required to do the main line in full in Trainz was not worth the effort when weighed against the operating potential of the route. The proto worked Brookville to Valley Junction three mornings a week and returned in the afternoons. A typical train was a switcher and half a dozen cars.

If you do proceed search around at TPR, Whitepass did the line's original Baldwin switcher and Momentum (remember him heckling from the cheap seats!) did a GP9(7?) in the original red white and black scheme. I don't know if they are still available, but no reason why they shouldn't be.

The I&O is not quite gone from my life, I shelled out a fair pile of hard-earned not so long ago for a HO GP30 with DCC and sound in the R-W-B scheme. If you had asked me to bet my life's savings on the least likely prototype to show up on a model shop shelf that would have been the one! Watch this space.....

:)

Last edited:
I might consider the origional IORY after Im done with this route but heres another shot. Can anyone guess where this is close to.
cattypatty_20130121_0002.jpg

I might consider the origional IORY after Im done with this route but heres another shot.

Oops - I have editted my post above. The DEM you have is the original I&O (INOH) in it's entirity, plus a fair chunk of Conrail east and west of Valley Junction. The INOH merged into the Indiana and Ohio Railway (IORY) which became Indiana and Ohio Central (IOCR)

dermmy: Well I guess I am modeling the present day IORY on this line using google earth images. I will Probabilly model the origional line after Im done with this route.
conrail_3004: Those traffic lights are ON Traffic Light Green Wires <kuid:232345:2150> and On Traffic Light Red Wires <kuid:232345:2151> There are also some good traffic lights the creator of those made to go with them I would check them out.

Back