If I seem a little grumpy and gruff, I apologize!

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I apologize for being grumpy lately. I haven't been feeling very well and there's been a lot going on that has really taken its toll on me, again. I have Parkinson's disease, as I've mentioned on and off in the forums. I did quite well for nearly 7 years, accepting what I have and going on with my life. Why is it when you think things are going to go fine, you're happy, and everything starts to fall into place, and it is then that everything crashes? I was doing well. I had a job I liked. It paid fairly well, and I have enough vacation time that I could take my 10-day storm chasing trips and still have time left over for other days off if I wanted them. The stress had been insane, but like any job you take what you have, suck it up and the stress dies down eventually. I've worked like this for decades, even ran my own business and worked a second job to make ends meet during the start-up phase. You do what you need to do!

Well recently everything has gone to hell and back. My symptoms have gotten worse since my medication no longer works well. I tried going without the medication for awhile, but that wasn't the best thing either. The same side effects came back that I was having before because the medication is no longer as effacious as it used to be. What's happening is the medication is no longer being absorbed into my system so it sits in my gut and gets taken up into the bloodstream. This causes the worst case of nausea that is completely unexplainable in words. You just want to die, but death of course doesn't come that easy. Eventually this feeling passes just in time for the next dose! This is the cyclic nature of the medication and the condition. My doctor and I are looking at other medication to help this, but right now I'm being very pessimistic. I've had my hopes up too high for too long! To add insult to injury, I fell a few times at work which made me feel smaller than an ant! I wanted so much to crawl in between the cracks on the lobby floor. When I walk, I shuffle along like I'm 90 and have had off and on difficult times getting out of a chair. And to add insult to injury, I've got the well known tremor now which I barely had before. When I'm very tired and very stressed, my right hand is uncontrollably tremulous. At work I used to hide my hand so no one would see it. Eventually coworkers saw my tremors and I had to explain. That was like telling the National Enquirer. After that everyone knew what was going on. Some people knew already because I had to tell them, but now the rest of the people know!

Over time my work output has decreased. I just don't have the energy to continue, and as a result my work has suffered more due to the condition and stress. I've been unable to keep up the pace any longer, and I was informed by my manager that I would be terminated for poor performance. He knows I wasn't feeling well and I was trying my best. He was informed of my condition, but chose to do this anyway. Sadly the law is on his side on this since he does have a business to run. I understand that, but it didn't make me feel any better. This is the result of the Parkinson's Apathy and Fatigue for which I found an excellent explanation from from the MJF Foundation:
"This is not your garden variety bone-tired. This is fatigue on a cellular level. Your body is working overtime to accomplish the simplest of tasks: Taking a shower, answering the phone, pouring orange juice. In addition, you may be coping with the combination of possible cognitive problems known as "Parkinson's apathy". These problems include difficulty initiating projects, inability to follow complex instructions, short-term memory loss and difficulty in switching gears midstream."

This sums me up right down to the crossing of the t's and dotting of the i's! On top of the fatigue as an IT technician, my job involves being able to switch gears in midstream, to follow complex instructions, and work on projects! So I wasn't becoming lazy, or old, I just couldn't do it anymore mentally. I've been so tired, I've fallen asleep at my desk. At home I sit at my computer and wake up 3 hours later. My brain is too tired to think; to do anything for that matter. It's very frustrating for someone who was always on the go. I always had great plans when I got home. I've been working on my mega-route, but instead I fall asleep at my desk. I want to play the piano, which sadly is no longer a big part of my life since that vascular incident in February. I sit there and my hands just don't have the coordination needed for that, so I play like a 3rd-year piano student instead of an accomplished, concert-level, pianist I once was. I figured a bit of practice would get them back into shape, but the effort for the practicing is too much. To add insult to injury, when I do have a good practice time it doesn't last. This is coming from someone that used to practice 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. And 2-3 hours a day when working full time plus the 8 hours a day on weekends. I am lucky I can get in 15 minutes without becoming so frustrated with myself I want to cut the piano up into sawdust. This is like a slap in the face! The worst I think were the wicked brain farts at work, my inability to communicate at times, among other issues. The clincher here is this was my career, my vocation for the past 30 years, and my ability to make money and pay my bills.

So at the moment, I am quite overwhelmed with everything, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. I rarely ask for advice or help and usually figure out things on my own. In the past I've gone to nearly all my tests and exams alone. No one has driven me unless I need to be driven, now things are different. I can say that this is my scariest moment in my life. I'm not sure what my future will entail, both physically as well as emotionally. As I write this, I am crying inside. I'm trying my best to keep up with day-to-day life, the normalcy that we're used to. Even filing the disability paperwork was something that took a lot more work psychologically than it did physically. For me it was demoralizing because I have worked in some fashion for 40 out of my 51 years. This is also to me a sign of "giving in" to this monster, which is something I have never done in my life. I never give in to anything. My stubborn nature has kept me going for a long time. I've always sucked up what was wrong, dealt with the situation and moved on. The old British and Irish blood from my mom's side kicks in and says keep up, don't give in. The old "You broke only one toe? Keep going because you have nine more!", has always been my mantra; the way I was brought up. Anyway I've sucked up my pride going on close to 7 years with this beast, just taking the situation and dealing with the twists and turns, but now I'm giving in to it. My energy just isn't there to fight.

Anyway Trainz and the forums are my escape from "my rotten world" as many of us know. If it weren't for you guys (and I say this collectively), along with the game or program its self, I think everything would have been lost a lot sooner.
There's no need to post back on this thread. I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not quite myself even though I'm trying my best to suck everything up and continue on my journey. Perhaps after the shock of this reality check fades, I'll get my sense of humor back and be less grumpy.

John

Well John,

I don't know what to say ...you seem from all your posts i've read a very HAPPY and helpful guy.

But from what i have read above,it tells another,a very sad story and i do pray and hope you over come all in the very very near future,

Kindest Regards
Brad

Yes I am with Brad. You come over as a kind and intelligent man who deserves better. Sharing your problems is not the easiest thing to do but often does help and I hope this is true for you. All we can do is fight our way through today and hope for better from tommorow. My thoughts are with you as I am sure many others will be. Best wishes from the other side of the pond.

Not seen any signs of grumpy from you here John, hang in there mate, couldn't have been easy to post that. Concentrate on carrying on the fight. Hopefully the doc can find you some medication that works.

Best wishes for an improvement in your health, think positive.

Cheers

I can't imagine what you're going through John, but like everyone else I haven't witnessed any "grumpiness" on your part. I empathize with your situation, and will add you to my prayer list. Please tell me that you aren't going through this alone, I hope there are people in your life that you can count on.

The only thing I could ever hold against you are the video links you keep leaving.
I think to myself I'll have a quick look, a few links and an hour later I'm still looking. I think he's done it to me again, my Ai session is in absolute mayhem and it takes another 30 minutes or so to sort that lot out.
Apart from that minor detail you are one one of the most helpful people on this forum with a wealth of knowledge some will never have.

Dear John,
you have and always be one of my close trainz friends, well behaved, excellent writing and sense for humor.
speechless...... but life has those mystic things some people call Gods hand...we think different and just try to be a good person and send positive energy to the one who need, that would work faster and more efficient than going to the temple so to speak and serves the same purpose.

warmest regards,

Ning n Roy

Last edited:
Try to be positive and hope for the best. Your comments are always appreciated around here.

I wonder sometimes if there isn't a better way to get through life than chance. One of my programmers had a car accident and broke a rib. Unfortunately it wasn't diagnosed within a reasonable time frame and there were some complications so now he's on ever increasing pain killers. Fortunately the Canadian Civil service has a long term disability health scheme which effectively pays your salary until the age of 60 or 65 I forget which anyway until you can retire. There are very very few who are on long term disability by the way and the insurance is costed into the salary.

I know someone in the UK who was a type of civil servant, unfortunately became ill, there he got retired early on a quarter salary on ill heath grounds, quite a different story.

I understand some feel that such safety nets are an unnecessary expense or are open to abuse but sometimes I think they are necessary and 51 is young.

You have my sympathy and thanks for the your knowledge which you have imparted in the forums but I'm not certain quite what else to say.

Cheerio John

Oh dear and I have just sent you a PM on a routine thing we discussed! However it will be withoin your wish for connection with the community. Not very encouraging news for you John but stick in there and keep Trainz handy as a help even in a small way. Have some permant health probs myself and Trainz is better than the meds.

Bobby

I've never noticed any grumpiness on your part, John. You've always been very helpful to members on the Forum. On quite a few occasions, you've stepped in to help me solve problems.

It's good that you got your situation off your chest, and shared it with those of us on the Forum. That sometimes, can go a long way in changing your outlook.

Here's hoping that things improve down the road. Keep your chin up.

Regards,

Joe

Hi guys,

Thank you for the kind support and for letting me vent. You really are my friends even though I have never met any of you in person. Perhaps some day that may change! In the real world I have very few friends because so few people share my interests. My family right now, as Ed aluded to, are treating this as though nothing is a miss. In fact everyone is giving me crap like this is my fault; like it was planned. There is little support, if ever, from anyone here. We're in the house here but all go our separate ways. Granted my parents are elderly and have enough issues to face themselves. My two sisters are off living elsewhere (thank God!), since the only time they show up is when they want money. My brother, who owns the house with me, lives here as well as my parents and the zoo. He spends his time as a recluse in the basement minding everyone else's business while doing art stuff. Dad makes up stories, mutters to the cats, and yells at the poor dog, Mom sleeps most of the time to escape from the confusing mess. Lovely place to be right now. As you can see, this time at home has not been pleasant at all for me. No wonder I enjoyed working so much before! You'd think I could get some rest.

As you'd probably predict, I've been placed on a guilt trip, and as usual I keep quiet because I don't want to make waves. I don't want to listent to it over and over, and have to face the constant pressure and tension. In part this is probably the Parkinson's personality trait too. We tend to become more submissive and overwhelmed by our surroundings rather than doing things about it. Anyway, my brother chastised me for taking the time off as though I did this on my own. Like I planned this like it was a long term vacation. I informed him bluntly that this was not my choice and this was done by my workplace. If I hadn't done what was insisted by my manager, I would have lost my job. Where would that put us then? I asked. I could collect unemployment benefits, but that pays diddley squat. He then changed the subject.

He then lectured me about spending money because I bought someone a birthday gift, and that he cannot (He didn't even say can't!) afford the mortage alone as if he gives me anything towards it anyway. I informed him that I am getting paid, and even when my salary is reduced, it will still be enough to cover my expenses plus the mortgage. Hopefully this is true, but I said that anyway to shut him up because I was tired of hearing this. In reality if he went out and got a real job instead of doing art stuff in the basement, he could well afford the mortgage. I didn't say anything at this point and let him vent. I didn't want anymore stress then I am already facing. This, as it was, was said to me as he was driving me to the clinic for a test for which I had to have a driver for. (This is another bump I'm facing at the same time, of course.)

He then complained again about having to drive me and then having to wait. I told him point blank that I would have driven myself, but since they were putting me under anesthesia, it wouldn't be a good idea if I did. I then said that next time I'll call a taxi which costs at a minimum $75 each way. In all the time I have faced this and other issues, I have never, ever, asked for any rides unless I needed them. I've been to most, if not all, of my doctor's appointments alone. I've even gone to those when you really need someone else there to catch what's being said because you've become numb and confused. Back in February, I got a big load of crap from him when he had to pick me up at the hospital after I had that mini-stroke. I was really pissed off then and let him have it. He didn't want to pick me up because I was an inconvenience, just like I incovenienced him this time as well.

Anyway...I have a feeling that things will come to blow again. Unfortunately, this is something I'm not looking forward to, so be prepared for another chapter in the John Citron venting column.

On a good note...(A pun intended!) I actually played my harpsichord for about an half hour today, or until my left hand forgot how to play scales and articulate phrases. The little program consisted of English organ voluntaries for manuals - works by Stanley, Greene, Hine, and others. These were written for organ or harpsichord, or generically manuals which is the English term for double keyboard. The edition gives some organ registration that really doesn't pertain to the harpsichord, but it was some joy for me today. Perhaps in time I can get my hands back to talking to the keyboards properly. Rebuilding the neural links between the fingers and the brain is one of the toughest things I've ever had to deal with on top of everything else.

So let's get back to talking Trainz and trains instead of about me. :)

John

Last edited:
Stay strong, John. Anyone who likes trains and plays the harpsichord is a step ahead of the crowd in my book. :wave: (play any Bach?)

Andrew

Back