How to replace missing assets on a route?

Piere

G'day All,

So I thought that replacing the missing assets from a route would just be replacing the relevant kuids in the config file with alternatives, but I did that then opened the route again and the same items are still missing (orange boxes).

How should it actually be done?

Cheers,
Piere.

Hello Piere,
I would check the route in Content Manager, right click on the route and go to list dependencies recursively, this will show you what's missing.
Or, in TRS19 on the route selection page the icon for the route will have a coloured symbol with a chain on it, click on the chain and it shows the content dependencies in CM.
Download asset or update as required.

Hello Piere,
I would check the route in Content Manager, right click on the route and go to list dependencies recursively, this will show you what's missing.
Or, in TRS19 on the route selection page the icon for the route will have a coloured symbol with a chain on it, click on the chain and it shows the content dependencies in CM.
Download asset or update as required.

G'day Graham,

I should have clarified that I'm trying to replace "Uknown" kuids. The originals are no longer available (they are from EastcoastTrainz), so I was trying to substitute alternatives, but just replacing the kuids in the config file doesn't seem to have done anything (I still see the same orange boxes on the route).

Cheers,
Piere.

I should have clarified that I'm trying to replace "Uknown" kuids. The originals are no longer available (they are from EastcoastTrainz), so I was trying to substitute alternatives, but just replacing the kuids in the config file doesn't seem to have done anything

If you know the type that these assets should be, such as Scenery, then find any similar item of the same type, clone it, and assign it the KUID of the unknown asset. You will then see it in the route, and you can chose to keep it or remove it.

The way I do it is edit the route. If you see an orange box place a similar item you want next to it then do a "delete missing objects" save and close the route.
Re open the route then move the new object to its correct position and save the route again. You cannot change an object in a route by changing the config because the config file is rewritten every time you open the route.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks SailorDan and Bill69. I remember SailorDan told me to clone a tree to replace and it worked great. The day was you could just substitute a KUID number in the KUID list of the config.sys file, but I am finding that is no longer the case, certainly not in 2019, not even for just ordinary objects like one building (I did manage to substitute one bridge KUID in the Alma Valley route, but so far that is the only time it seems to have worked). It submits to show no more items missing from the route, but when you actually open the route, the orange boxes are still there, and none of the replacements are there. So I recommend either of the two options above Piere, and I don't recommend trying to swap substitute KUIDS in the list in the config.txt file.

The day was you could just substitute a KUID number in the KUID list of the config.sys file, but I am finding that is no longer the case...

That has never been the case for a route. It does work for assets other than routes, such as bogies on a traincar. But routes maintain their components in a different way that is not accessible to the user.

If the substituting trick doesn't work then you are likely substituting the wrong type of asset, such as a Scenery item for a bridge that is actually a spline (Track).

No, I have tried substituting a water tower for a payware water tower, and it hasn't worked. I have tried substituting buildings for other buildings and it doesn't work. As I said, I apparently got lucky one time and substituted a rail bridge for another rail bridge and it worked. But it just seems hit or miss.

Thanks for the info everyone. I went the clone & kuid route and that has worked well.

Now I just need to find out what the equivalent signals would be and do them as well (see this thread).

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Piere.

I have a set of obnoxiously tall, sound making and smoke generating objects that I clone and change the KUID to the unknown asset, then drag and drop the folder onto content manager to make fake assets

Then in driver I can see where whatever it was, was located.

Takes some guess work or trial and error to find if it was a scenery or spline etc.

Once I have them located I can choose to either replace with something real, or edit the route and change / delete the assets.

I usually do the latter.

Right now im working on the NEC DC to Baltimore and at one point during the run, you pass between two thin columns 1km tall blasting out EDM and huge clouds of neon green smoke. :) obs I'll be replacing them.

@SailorDan,

I have tried your suggestion of cloning an asset, and assigning it the kuid of the missing asset, but the program comes up with an error - that is not able to reassign the asset. What am I doing wrong? Can you step me through the process? Thanks for the help.

Bob Morrison

Can you step me through the process? Thanks for the help.

1. Clone the selected replacement asset.
2. Open the cloned asset Config for editing.
3. Find the KUID tag and change it to the KUID you want it to replace.
4. Do File \ Import Content Folder
5. Revert the clone to original and delete it (Unless you want to keep it).

Cloning isn't strictly necessary, but I never recommend working on the real asset. It's probably step 4 that is causing the problem. Note that the content folder is located in the Editing folder of the Trainz data folder - the data folder is the folder named as Local Data Folder in the Install tab of the Settings option in the Launcher.

Back