How many Km / Miles is 1 square on surveyour ment to represent?

rcaptain17

Hi, Couriousity, How many Km / Miles in distance is one square on the surveyor board ment to represent? I know the board is 750 metres by 750 Metres. As it might help me with how far as to place station's apart

Rcaptain17:eek:

I think that you have answered your own question, however you could always use the rulers in surveyor. Sorry I just re-read your post. The smaller squares are 10meters, even if you are working in Imperial measurements.
John

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct Vern, 720m x 720m baseboards no question about it.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
so, one baseboard is 720m x 720m, .5184sqKm

or

2400ft x 2400ft, .2sqmi or 132.2 acres

Now there could be a problem because 720m does not equal 2400ft, but that is how Trainz makes the conversion.

Dap

Well I had started to go into that but decided to delete it since it was more than asked in the original question.

If you use the rulers with Imperial units selected you'll find the baseboard measures approximately 2400 ft instead of the correct conversion of 2362.21 ft. I think Auran mentions 2400 in the manual that comes with trainZ. They apparently used an approximate conversion factor of 1 m = 40 in in setting up the ruler scale. Internally though the game uses metric units and all locations and distances in the map files are stored as metric units. The locating coords are determined by the placement on the baseboard not what the ruler says.

If you work only in imperial units while locating things in your virtural world you won't notice anything since all horizontal measurements will be off by the same amount - 1.6%. It's too small to notice for other things like it's impact on grades where you have to input the height in meters. About the only place it might make a difference is if you are working with terrain created from DEMS and making very long measurements. The DEM input is normally based on a UTM (metric) grid that's aligned with the trainZ baseboard grid. Making a measurement of approx 28 miles with the ruler would put the end point out 720 m - a whole baseboard length with respect to the terrain. Fortunately we don't make measurements like this normally. But I've done some over 35 km to verify placements of track with respect to the terrain. If I used imperial units for the map I'd be out several hundred meters from where I thought I should be (560m actually).

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
Back