How are the FROGS used?

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Do I have it correct? A left-hand frog on the left of the spur and a right-hand frog on the right?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dave

From what I have seen, they actually go the other way. When you face the switch from the other way, then the left goes on the left and vice versa. From this way, left goes right and right goes on the left. Hope this helps.

Regards

The names are a bit counter-intuitive, 'Left' refers to the track with the common crossing on the 'left', which is of course the right-hand track. Those things are one of the neatest little route-improvers available :)

well i try. :)

Actually i named them based on what side the frog piece is on when standing at the switch points. when creating them i didnt have a switch or anything just the model and the frog was on that side, so i just called them left and right. you will notice that the typical guard rail (opposite the frog) is much higher than the surface of the tracks rails, so dont put them on that way, it would appear to be a very bumpy ride!

Well you succeed! I turn around for a few weeks and you've got something new loaded on the DLS that I totally need for my route. The "SafeTran signal mast" and accompanying signal heads; I nearly lost my mind when those came out, exactly what I see in use in my neck of the woods, so exactly what I needed. You do great work, please do continue! -Cheers

Look like to me. But I'm not interesting those frogs by switch..:confused: I want see look real track switch alike AJS stuffs. And Railwork have switch and frogs look good. Trainz haven't it...:eek:

NKP

Look like to me. But I'm not interesting those frogs by switch..:confused: I want see look real track switch alike AJS stuffs. And Railwork have switch and frogs look good. Trainz haven't it...:eek:

NKP
If I understand you correctly go to the DLS and search author olegkhim. His switches have animated points and are incredible. This is nothing against the frogs from JR, but I like those animated switches. Also Olegkhim has both wood and concrete ties. along with a track library to go with his switches. Once JR come out with the same, I'll be using them as JR only puts out what I think the best.

I have found that from looking at a switch lead in, where a switch deverges left and right ... the Left Frog goes on the right hand leg, and the Right Frog one goes on the left hand leg.

Actually i named them based on what side the frog piece is on when standing at the switch points. when creating them i didnt have a switch or anything just the model and the frog was on that side, so i just called them left and right. you will notice that the typical guard rail (opposite the frog) is much higher than the surface of the tracks rails, so dont put them on that way, it would appear to be a very bumpy ride!

Thanks but I'm not sure where the points are.

If I understand you correctly go to the DLS and search author olegkhim. His switches have animated points and are incredible. This is nothing against the frogs from JR, but I like those animated switches. Also Olegkhim has both wood and concrete ties. along with a track library to go with his switches. Once JR come out with the same, I'll be using them as JR only puts out what I think the best.

I have those was. Trainz need to more experience look real things only one track to track become to switch perfect and those like toy track snap to snap are very borning because many frogs and turnouts and other to one track is boring by view. Railwork has one track to track become good switch and there has have good frogs and turnouts too... Anyway I love trainz......:)

NKP

You have them right its as godd as it gets. I've tried to move them into postion as close to the why they look comparied to how they look in the yard where I work.

I have those was. Trainz need to more experience look real things only one track to track become to switch perfect and those like toy track snap to snap are very borning because many frogs and turnouts and other to one track is boring by view. Railwork has one track to track become good switch and there has have good frogs and turnouts too... Anyway I love trainz......:)

NKP

you are sadly mistaken if you think the autogen frogs from railworks look 'real'. it is more like a novelty kludge to me. they have hardly any connection to a real track switch. guard rails are wrong and just very generic in appearance. i would be very upset if trainz performed this way.

You guys mean they're supposed to look like THIS? Nah--I don't think so... I'm doing something wrong somewhere...

Here's a shot from the "Midwest Grain" route which looks pretty close to my first screen shot at the beginning of this thread;

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
In your second shot the frogs are on the right tracks but both need rotating, then you'll need to position them to match the track, as in the third shot you posted.

This model RR photo shows the way that they are used:
Shin_frog.jpg

With some non-compatable tracks, it might look like this in Trainz
Screen_004-9.jpg

Not really functionaly correct as the prototype ... but improves the look of turnouts by 100%

Thanks everyone. I think I got it now. The only thing--- it's very frustrating to place them. If you don't get it in the exact position, it's hard to "grab" it again to move it.

Oh well, they still make the turnouts look better.

Thanks again,

Dave

to grab them click down when your mouse pointer is over one of the guardrails or frog rails and then hold that click down as you move the pointer to the center of the track gauge. when the pointer reaches the middle it should be moving the part around.

btw the shot from the midwest grain route is exactly how the parts should look. those are placed perfectly.

Back