Highland Valley Upgrade (Take 2)

tbob

Analog Kid
Howdy,

Some of you may remember the upgrade I did for the default Highland Valley, but the screenshots were lost on the old forum. After a hard drive corruption, I lost the route and decided to make another, this time with more commuter operations, so without further ado...

DuBois Rail Lines (Reporting mark: DRX) ex-NYC GP7 rounds the curve out of the Stormont tunnel and growls towards Greenwood. It is pulling three ex-LIRR MP54s which have been set up to work as cab cars, like the East Lancashire Railways DexTREMU (Diesel ex-Third Rail EMU) which ran with a Class 25 sandwiched between two Class 504s.
Highland-1.jpg

The trainset rolls over the bridge in front of Highland Falls.
Highland-2.jpg

Highland-3.jpg

The GP7 brings its train over the grade on the south-end of Greenwood Yard.
Highland-4.jpg

The train crawls by the interlocking tower. In the distance we can see a pair of RJ Corman Special-Duty's ready to take the Amtrak GG1s that used to run the line to the scrapper's torch. On the right is the recently laid DRX interurban line that will replace the GG1's electric commuter services. A DRX 44-tonner shunts two South Shore MUs onto the line.
Highland-6.jpg

The P32 sitting at the DRX roundhouse was donated to DRX by the state of Connecticut to show support for the New Haven preservation effort.
Highland-5.jpg

A pair of RDCs sits at the Greenwood DRX station waiting for the morning commute up the branch.
Highland-7.jpg

Nice

I love playing with the Highland route. Yours looks great. Mine really needs some overhaul. :D

Spiffy101:D :) :( :mad: :p :eek: :( :) :D

OOOOO me likey!!!
when is this going to be released?
It looks very good.
Cheers.
Sean

I haven't decided if I want to release it. If it gets really good feedback then I might.

After the twin RDCs failed earlier today, the NH P32 was called out to pull them along. The GP7 set failed as well and is currently at the diesel shops. Because of the shortness of power, the P32 will bring services directly to the Amtrak long distance terminal in Greenwood so passengers can change directly to interurban service to Lumby. Here we see the P32 with the dead Budds ready to depart Highland. On the left is Amtrak's tourist train, The Highland Wolf, which runs from Highland to Greenwood with weekend service to Lumby.
Highland2-1.jpg

More to come!

A Trip down the Afton Branch

The P32 prepares to bring it's commuter train down the branch.
Highland2-2.png

It pulls out of the DRX station and makes its way out of the Highland station complex, which holds three Amtrak platforms and two DRX platforms.
Highland2-3.png

The train rolls over the grade, passing the old car works siding, which used to hold freight cars in bad order, but now ripped up.
Highland2-4.png

We approach the yard limits and prepare to hit single track territory.
Highland2-5.png

The train rumbles over one of the many bridges on the line.
Highland2-6.png

The P32 rounds the curve where an old junction once lied. The overgrown tracks behind the fencing used to lead to a large bridge which was torn down and a large industry complex which the railroad once served.
Highland2-7.png

Highland2-8.png

The trainset passes the old Odlum Mine wye, but was closed off along with the mine when freight service left the area.
Highland2-9.png

Highland2-10.png

The train arrives in Stormont, a small village which both DRX and Amtrak serve, and Amtrak offers a sight seeing/picknick bus to tourists.
Highland2-11.png

The P32 chugs out and heads for it's next stop in the rain.
Highland2-12.png

The trainset makes it way over around and over the Highland reservoir.
Highland2-13.png

Highland2-14.png

Highland2-15.png

Highland2-16.png

The commuter set pulls into Robbins, which holds the DRX's diesel repair shops as well as Amtrak and DRX stations.
Highland2-17.png

Highland2-18.png

Here we see the failed GP7-set, the DRX breakdown train, and one of the company's ex-New Haven 44-tonners which serves the branch while it's twin works the mainline.
Highland2-19.png

The train heads down through the loop at the bottom of the branch.
Highland2-21.png

Highland2-22.png

Highland2-23.png

The P32 crosses over the mainline.
Highland2-24.png

The commuter slows as it approaches the junction and prepares to make it's final stop before laying over.
Highland2-25.png

Highland2-26.png

The train lands in Greenwood, where Amtrak's Highland Valley Explorer sits at Amtrak's Greenwood Commuter station. Amtrak is granting DRX use of it's long distance station so commuters can transfer directly to DRX Lumby shuttles.
Highland2-28.png

Highland2-29.png

Highland2-30.png

@LVman: Thanks for the vote of confidence! ;-P
@Spiffy: Protrainz website

More shots comming!

tbob
I would like to also give my vote to release it when you are "done" making it.
Of course by that I mean well all know that a route is never done.
Kenny

looks pretty good but i would advise using lower poly tracks as nice as those ones look they really hurt your FPS. trackwork needs some work too especially on the switches. the abandoned trestle is a great idea but you might want to consider also using the FMA grass splines in addition to mr. contis great grass to reduce the FPS impact.
keep up the good work:)

Anouncement

I am sorry to anounce that because of the sudden death of a very close friend of mine, work on Highland will be put on hold.

Back