HELP with simple session creation

Ighten

I dont know what I am doing wrong but lets take for example I just want to create a simple session test.. I go to routes/sessions through the menus then edit session.. I pick a loco and put it on the track and save it - but then it doesnt save it as a session (to do so is greyed out) it insists on cloning the route as well - is this how its suppose to work?

Your statement "it doesnt save it as a session (to do so is greyed out)" indicates to me that you have not changed anything in the session. There are a host of possible questions I could ask about what you have done to get the result you describe, but lets start at the beginning. I do not know how much experience you have had with creating Trainz Routes and Sessions. I will assume none (sorry if that is insulting but mind reading over the Internet is a skill I have yet to master).

Have a look at the Trainz Wiki How To pages on creating Routes and Sessions. Starting with

How to Create Your First Route

How to Create Your First Session

... both of these are for T:ANE or earlier so the screen graphics and menus will differ from TRS19.

For a more detailed and advanced level, look at

Route and Session Basics - there is a lot of info in there.

Using the Session Editor

Its this part thats confusing me and doesnt seem to work

• Open the "Layers" Tab and notice that the Route Layer is locked, while the Session Layer is unlocked
  • I do that and place the engine but it says it cant as I need to unlock the route layer.. When I do this it says I cant save a session but must save a new route and session - hence i end up with clones of routes just because i want a new session in an existing route

Last edited:
Don't confuse the session layer with edit session because they are different. When you are in your route open the layer tab. The top part will save to the route and will reload when you open edit route. The bottom part will save to the session and will only reload if you select edit session. Edit session will load both the route and session. Anything added to the session layer will normally ask you to save both the route and session. Select yes and the route will be overwritten and the session saved. Next time you load the route use edit session, this will return the assets added in the session layer. Some instructions automatically get added to the session when you exit.
Each time you select edit route only a new session will be added every time while the edit session will only load the selected session and when you select save both the route and session will be overwritten.

Last edited:
the issue is simply I cant create a new session in an existing route following the wiki... for some reason its greyed out.. nothing to do with edit sessions im not touching those and I still have the problem

hmmm - is it route specific - it works perfectly in kickstarter 2 but not in Nidder

Last edited:
Weirdly the quick drive doesnt seem to work either - eg choose kickstater2 sessions and choose the quick drive session - box appears showing my selected train and to place it on track.. press ok .. click on track - a thud chime sounds but no train appears?

This the easier method.

At the main menu, after you start Trainz, click on Driver / Surveyor

Click on the route you want to add a session to.
Click on View Sessions.
Click on Edit Session.

This will look exactly like Surveyor for route editing, but in this mode don't edit anything other than place your trains and setup industries.

Place your locomotive and consist(s) down on the route as you want.
Click on the Edit menu
Click on Edit session.
Click on Driver Setup.

You'll see you driver listed for the locomotive(s) you placed.

In the bar next the driver image, add in your driver commands by clicking on the small double caret symbol.

When you're done editing, exit this screen.
Save your session.

Save and close the session.

You maybe prompted to save the route too. Do as requested.

Now when you want to drive this particular session, you can access it from the Driver / Surveyor menu.

This the easier method.

At the main menu, after you start Trainz, click on Driver / Surveyor

Click on the route you want to add a session to.
Click on View Sessions.
Click on Edit Session.

This will look exactly like Surveyor for route editing, but in this mode don't edit anything other than place your trains and setup industries.

Place your locomotive and consist(s) down on the route as you want.
Click on the Edit menu
Click on Edit session.
Click on Driver Setup.

You'll see you driver listed for the locomotive(s) you placed.

In the bar next the driver image, add in your driver commands by clicking on the small double caret symbol.

When you're done editing, exit this screen.
Save your session.

Save and close the session.

You maybe prompted to save the route too. Do as requested.

Now when you want to drive this particular session, you can access it from the Driver / Surveyor menu.

Thx -- but that doesnt solve the problem that I can only save sessions as a new route and session so am endingup with multiple clones of the same route instead of having my sessions under the route.

Im baffled - It works fine in Kickstarter 2 but not in any other route.

And the built in session "quick drive" for all my routes doesnt work at all? The box appears showing what I chose from content and asking me to place it on the track - but all I get is a chime/ping noise and nothing happens

Last edited:
Which version/build of Trainz are you running it on? The quick drive was removed from some later versions and you have to clone the original DLC route under your kuid.

114800 - so am I correct in thinking the answer is to clone routes first and its not me doing it wrong (lol)

If it is a route that you have not created yourself, such as a download from the DLS or a DLC route, then yes, clone it first. The cloned route is then given a new <kuid> value using your personal kuid code so, when saved, it will not overwrite the original route even if you do not change its name.

THink I have it (ie. I always have to clone just to add a session ) though I am still confused by 2 issues..

1.If you cant create a session for a route you don't own - how then is it possible to download other sessions into the route from the download station? They go happily into the original not a clone.

2. Why does the quick drive session just not work at all or has it definitely been removed in the current build..

As long as the route remains untouched and only the session is worked on. You can open the edit-config of the session and change the map-kuid to that of the original route, also in the kuid-table.
With the future of UDS it is no longer needed.

Your statement "it doesnt save it as a session (to do so is greyed out)" indicates to me that you have not changed anything in the session. There are a host of possible questions I could ask about what you have done to get the result you describe, but lets start at the beginning. I do not know how much experience you have had with creating Trainz Routes and Sessions. I will assume none (sorry if that is insulting but mind reading over the Internet is a skill I have yet to master).

Have a look at the Trainz Wiki How To pages on creating Routes and Sessions. Starting with

How to Create Your First Route

How to Create Your First Session

... both of these are for T:ANE or earlier so the screen graphics and menus will differ from TRS19.

For a more detailed and advanced level, look at

Route and Session Basics - there is a lot of info in there.

Using the Session Editor

I have a very similar question - I thought it more appropiate to rpely to this post than create another topic.

(I've not yet read the guides above yet) Is there any easy way to create a session on an existing route where you just create your train/consist, add a schedule and go?
(E.g. If I want to use the ECML Kings Cross to Edinburgh Route. I want to create a train starting at Kings Cross, put in a couple of intermediate stops and then end up at Edinburgh and have trainz route me down he correct tracks and set the signals in my favour)

Your timeline does not reveal which version of Trainz you are using and my answer is version dependent.

In TRS19 and Trainz Plus:-

1. I select the Route (but not load it) from the opening Driver/Surveyor screen. This works for any route - your own, a DLS or a DLC route.
  2. Then I click the View Sessions button, this lists all the Session that are installed for the selected Route.
  3. Then I click the Create Session button. If there are no existing Sessions then this will be the only button shown.

Please register your version of Trainz so your version will appear in your timeline and it makes support so much easier. Plus it gives you access to the DLS and DLC.

Your timeline does not reveal which version of Trainz you are using and my answer is version dependent.

I'm using Trainz 19

1. I select the Route (but not load it) from the opening Driver/Surveyor screen. This works for any route - your own, a DLS or a DLC route.
  2. Then I click the View Sessions button, this lists all the Session that are installed for the selected Route.
  3. Then I click the Create Session button. If there are no existing Sessions then this will be the only button shown.

Please register your version of Trainz so your version will appear in your timeline and it makes support so much easier. Plus it gives you access to the DLS and DLC.

How do I do that? There's nothing immediately apparent in my Account settings that gives me that option.

This is now what I do but I do find it is ludicrous that every time I do this It automatically clones a route - it makes the menu system pointless and messy .. Also if the quick drive system no longer works and has been removed why on earth is the game adding a quick drive option/button in sessions to every route even though it no longer works - they should tidy things like this out to avoid confusion

This is now what I do but I do find it is ludicrous that every time I do this It automatically clones a route - it makes the menu system pointless and messy .. Also if the quick drive system no longer works and has been removed why on earth is the game adding a quick drive option/button in sessions to every route even though it no longer works - they should tidy things like this out to avoid confusion

It only clones a route that is not yours. Once you have cloned a route you use that route to create a session and edit that session as you go along. Do not add anything to the route as that will change what is technically the original route. When the session is complete change the two map-kuids references in the session to the original route and test it.
The button is not quick drive, it is drive session. This will take you straight into driver mode instead of going through surveyor mode.

It only clones a route that is not yours. Once you have cloned a route you use that route to create a session and edit that session as you go along. Do not add anything to the route as that will change what is technically the original route. When the session is complete change the two map-kuids references in the session to the original route and test it.
The button is not quick drive, it is drive session. This will take you straight into driver mode instead of going through surveyor mode.

thanks - think Im slowly learning a bit each day

how do i find the or which kuid numbers to change

I still dont understand why the quick drive button still appears in every route as a session but then doesnt do anything - if they disabled it wouldnt it make sense to fully remove the button as well

Back