Headlight has green tint on Ben Neal models

stevie10188

scullin disk man
I have a Northern Pacific F-1 2-8-0 from Ben Neal. When I imported it into both T:ANE and TRS19, the headlight showed up completely colored green. Any way to fix? I've checked the texture files, and I can't find the green headlight texture in any of the .tga and .bmp files.
Any help will be appreciated.

Grant

This is an issue with other models to with what was supposed to be reflections,although the green "mold" was also there in T:ANE,however the reflection was still there so it wasn't very noticeable. But in TRS2019 it's very noticeable. It's something to do with the reflection material use for the head light which TRS2019 messes up completely,while in T:ANE although there was the green in the reflection,it wasn't very noticeable. They only way that seems possible to fix it right now is to change the reflection material for the headlight,which I have no idea how to do. This "mold" issue has also effected one of davesnow's bogeys,one of the K&L Trainz models,bdaneals NG EBT 2-8-2,some of the older cars made by HP Trainz,and the heisler (I think it's spelled like that.) from Trainzone...

Which all used the same reflection material.

Grant,

Can you supply a picture?

Use www.imgur.com

Upload your image. Click on the image. In the right hand corner an arrow will appear.
Click on the arrow and pick the formatting for BB forums.
Copy that and paste here.

The problem could be related to the other but maybe not and the picture is the only way to tell.

Grant,

Can you supply a picture?

Here's one of mine. Look closely and you can see the green...

2018_10_29%20000348.jpg

Odd, shows up perfectly on my end...

Now it worked. :)

I see the green. The way to find out if it is the same issue with this is to view the errors and warnings for the asset, or watch for the error in the processing log which is found under Developer on the Launcher. Use Clear logs first to clear the screen, then show logs. While running TRS19. (This is the same for T:ANE). For best results run TRS19 in a window so you can see both windows at the same time. You can't save the log output, but you can grab the scroll bar and stop the scrolling, and you can highlight, copy and then paste any information anywhere else.

Last edited:
I did some more checking and this is interesting. Some of the locos have okay headlights while others do not.

The Baldwin light 2-8-2 is fine while the Baldwin modern 4-4-0 has the green headlight. It's a bit late now, but the next step is to compare the two headlights and see what the difference is in the config.txt and textures. It maybe as simple as copying the texture from one to the other and fixing the problem.
2018-11-04 013831.jpg

Most of Ben's locos have a tag in the config for "light-color" there should be three number after it delineated by commas. These numbers are values for RGB colors, if one of the numbers have dropped out green is the likely result. Try 246,245,204 that should give a slightly yellow light.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks for the suggestion,but it's the headlight material causing the green issue,it's also there in T:ANE but not as noticeable.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Northern Pacific no.485 is in there between the NM&W 2-6-6-2 mallet and the NM&W 2-8-8-2 mallet,and as you can see on NP 485,the headlight is greenish,but still shiny. In TRS2019 however,there's no reflection,and it's all green.

Thanks for the suggestion,but it's the headlight material causing the green issue,it's also there in T:ANE but not as noticeable.

Northern Pacific no.485 is in there between the NM&W 2-6-6-2 mallet and the NM&W 2-8-8-2 mallet,and as you can see on NP 485,the headlight is greenish,but still shiny. In TRS2019 however,there's no reflection,and it's all green.

Try the edit and see if it works and use the settings for the other locomotives. The green tint is obvious, and the headlight shouldn't be green of course! T:ANE is a lot more reflective and the lighting is more intense, which in part makes the headlights and other texture and lighting issues more obvious, bugs and all, as this brings out other faults never noticeable in the older versions.

When I loaded up the locomotive, I did not see any warnings about missing textures, which is the case with Dave Snow's wheels. This could be another issue and I'm inclined to play with the values and see what happens.

Here is a shot of Ben's Baldwin modern 4-4-0 on my computer, nothing wrong with the headlight.

photo hosting

This is in T;ANE build 94916 the light-color is 214,194,114 maybe a little too yellow for my liking.

In the body of the loco the "glass,tga" file is green so it may be that you are missing the "light-color" tag in the config file.

This is the relevant section of the config.txt file.
interior <kuid:523:19721258>
engine 1
mass 36288
company "undec"
origin "USA"
kind "traincar"
fonts 0
enginespec <kuid:69871:100867>
enginesound <kuid:126323:53050>
hornsound <kuid:96914:54104>
light_color 214,194,114
trainz-build 2.9

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
I was looking in PEV's mesh viewer for what textures apply to the head light,and perhaps this is the cause of the green headlight...
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

As you can see,I selected the headlight texture,but there isn't any texture for the headlight according to PEV's mesh viewer,so T:ANE and up might be using that "Green mold" for a stand in for where the headlight texture should be.

I was looking in PEV's mesh viewer for what textures apply to the head light,and perhaps this is the cause of the green headlight...

{pic removed from quote}
As you can see,I selected the headlight texture,but there isn't any texture for the headlight according to PEV's mesh viewer,so T:ANE and up might be using that "Green mold" for a stand in for where the headlight texture should be.

This is similar to the error causing the green wheels. A missing texture being replaced by the default green and magenta squares.

What texture is specified for the the headlight?

Can you create one matching the missing texture and see if that works. This might be a simple fix that can be implemented by the CRG or someone whose been updating Ben's locomotives.

I think the texture is "env_metal.bmp",it's there in the folder... but Trainz doesn't seem to be using it.

That could be.

Try this:

Using your favorite image editing program, open that file and save as a targa (.tga) format.

Open up the related texture.txt file in your text editor.

Change the .bmp to .tga

Save everything.
Close folders.
Submit the asset in Content Manager and see what happens.

=====
UPDATE:

That works!

2018-11-06 022216.jpg

So TRS19 doesn't like bmp files...?

Last edited:
Back