Google Baseboards

susanaes

NYCTA Developer
I’ve seen some pics and videos when people have used and image from Google maps and placed it on their baseboard. Does anybody know how that is done? I usually have two windows open whenever I want to recreate stations or anything from google maps.

If this is possible is it something that can be done in TS12 or TS19, I want to recreate some stations like New Haven and some others for my routes.

Last edited:
An image from Google Earth is pasted on an appropriately sized plane object which is then placed in the map, usually just below the surface so it becomes visible when the ground is transparent. You can make your own or download and use a couple of pre-made ones on the DLS (1km baseboard 1, 1km baseboard 2, 1 km baseboard 3, etc.) created by Created by: Halfdan

I think there are also assets that are at the 720x720m size. Or at least those I used myself.

Not near my game PC right now, so I can't look up the names.

Is there a video or tutorial I can look up to see how to do this because I haven’t done this before.

2 tutorials by Olaf99 using google earth pics, to put on a plane in Trainz
first one in dutch for gmax
2nd one for Blender
enjoy your route building
greetings GM

Description:
1km Square Basemap for 'tracing' contours, roads etc. over. Copy a scan of your map over '1km square A.jpg' and restart Trainz. When 'tracing' complete, delete the basemap object.

1km Square Basemap map scans must be 1024x1024 resolution and either tga, bmp or jpg image files. If you wish to use other than the default jpg format, you will need to change the 'Primary=' line in the '1km square a.texture.txt' file to reflect the new file extension, but keep the main part of the image file name the same.

NOTE: Depending on the scale of your baseboards, this 1km square will probably be larger than 1 board.

(This Basemap is based on the 720m x 720m Basemap by 'weevil' - Stuart Thurstan. I found it easier to work from maps using 1km grid squares, rather than having to chop up map images in 720m square chunks!)
From the Description in the DLS

2 tutorials by Olaf99 using google earth pics, to put on a plane in Trainz
first one in dutch for gmax
2nd one for Blender
enjoy your route building
greetings GM
makkelijk als je nederlands verstaat

If you seach Youtube for "trainz basemap" you will get several tutorials

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but does anyone know how to adjust the size of the objects? I'd love to have them as 500m basebaords instead so that the 1024x1024 resolution isn't so bad, but I don't know how to change object sizes.

You would need the original objects, change their size and make any other adjustments and then re-export to Trainz

I should have been a bit clearer, you need the 3D modelling program that was used, GMax, Blender, etc., plus you would need to have the original source file that was made. If it was GMax, the *.gmax file. Once that is edited to your liking, you re-export it to an IM file. The program is just a matter downloading it. As for the source file, that will be harder. Most creators don't share those. Some might. Others, if they feel like it, might make a new version that is more to your needs but don't hold your breath waiting. What often happens is that you make do with what is available OR you make your own.

It is also bad form to make nagging requests for a new object. A single gentle request and if you don't get an answer, don't ask again

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful and sometimes whacky world of Trainz. A place where dreams of building routes and driving trains can come true.

Since Woobie4839 is asking about baseboards, I think there is more involved than just sizing an asset. I think you would have to meddle in whatever code Trainz uses for its baseboards.

Don't think so, it's just a large square flat object with a texture on it representing the local ground that is placed like any other object in the route. now if he wanted to change the baseboard of the route itself, that's a different thing.

I remember a thread on the very old forums on how to use Google Earth images by placing them on to basemap objects.

If I remember correctly, the camera has to be positioned vertically and the height has to be set so that the distance is 1km x 1km.

The images are screen captured one by one then placed on basemap objects by editing (clone them first) one by one by replacing the basemap image .tga file with the Google Earth image. Since the images are 1k x 1k, I'm going to assume that we have to use the 1k basemap objects and not the 720 m x 720 m ones.

The process from what I remember was long and arduous and using TransDEM is a whole lot easier even if there's a learning curve to go along with it.

Yeah, I am doing what Martinvk is saying, where there is an object that you replace the object with an image of 1024x1024 pixel dimensions, not directly affecting the baseboards. The process not actually that bad, my issue is just that satellite imagery has come a long way in terms of resolution since the object was orignially made back in 2004 and 1024x1024 is low enough resolution that it becomes difficult to map tracks to over a 1km by 1km area, so if I downsize the object to 500mx500m but keep the pixel resolution the same, I would be able to effectively quadruple my resolution.

I mean, I'll need to learn asset creation/modification at some point since I am recreating Lambert's Point Coal terminal and need to mock up some (stationary) rotary coal dumpers.

Yeah, I am doing what Martinvk is saying, where there is an object that you replace the object with an image of 1024x1024 pixel dimensions, not directly affecting the baseboards. The process not actually that bad, my issue is just that satellite imagery has come a long way in terms of resolution since the object was orignially made back in 2004 and 1024x1024 is low enough resolution that it becomes difficult to map tracks to over a 1km by 1km area, so if I downsize the object to 500mx500m but keep the pixel resolution the same, I would be able to effectively quadruple my resolution.
Good luck. For small areas with lots of detail that you want to properly locate, it's great. For large areas or along a long and winding track, it becomes tedious real fast

Back