GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

Tyco!
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

1910 Beyer Peacock Mogul
Rendering from Blender 2.93 and in-game TS19 SP4 asset ... Ready to detail texture and create normal and parameter maps.

Happy X'Mas !!

Most of the differences are internal, but GP38-2s have an overhang on the rear of the cab, different battery box covers, and a sight glass on one of the long hood doors (short hood forward on the engineers side), to name a few. I noticed the sight glass on mine went missing somehow. Figures..

BTW, the 3 Skunks are GP38AC's to further add to the confusion. :D

That Consolidation looks excellent daylightrain. It reminds me of several Southern Shortline locos mashed into one, and I love a good shortline Mogul or Consolidation.

Saturnr

Starting the roughed-in shape of a specific kind of Rock Island commuter coach. Just getting the roof done took a lot of head-scratching. Any help is appreciated!

Screenshot-2022-02-13-091306.jpg

Last edited:
Flexible cables for a animated dragline excavator

Hello, today I have a question how to create animated objects changing its length within the animation . I need such a function to get a dragline Northwest Excavator animated. The movement of the excavator and its bucket itself it not the problem.
The Problem is about the cables which pulles and moves the bucket do digg the gravel out of the pit and to load it into open hoppers.
My idea was to create the cables from lines or thin mesh cylinders. But I did not find a way to connect such a mesh object at both sides onto animation dummys. I also found objects called "Protractor" and "Tapes". These seems to make such an animation more easy rather than to da everything with Dummys. But I still dont kow how to organise mesh which is flexible in length. Also I dont have any experiencies how trainz can handle "Protractor" and "Tapes".

If you have any ideas it would be very nice if you could share it.

Thanks in advance!

Your's TUME

Hello, today I have a question how to create animated objects changing its length within the animation . I need such a function to get a dragline Northwest Excavator animated. The movement of the excavator and its bucket itself it not the problem.
The Problem is about the cables which pulles and moves the bucket do digg the gravel out of the pit and to load it into open hoppers.
My idea was to create the cables from lines or thin mesh cylinders. But I did not find a way to connect such a mesh object at both sides onto animation dummys. I also found objects called "Protractor" and "Tapes". These seems to make such an animation more easy rather than to da everything with Dummys. But I still dont kow how to organise mesh which is flexible in length. Also I dont have any experiencies how trainz can handle "Protractor" and "Tapes".

If you have any ideas it would be very nice if you could share it.

Thanks in advance!

Your's TUME

dundun92 has the solution, use an armature.

The workflow is shown in the this video:

Tentacle Rig | Let's Build It In Blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw30S-Oepyo

Create a straight cable then add the armature with the IK bone at the end (1). Keep in mind that you can only change location (2), by selecting the whole armature, and rotation (3) , by selecting the IK bone. Since you cannot change the scale, that is the length of the cable, you will have to resort to some trickery. At the winch end have the cable disappear (4). You could move it behind the rig or down underground. You could also have two cables and have one slide into the other. Use whatever works.

Cayden

cCTnk7T.jpg

Hello Cayden, thank you very much for your help. As am not familiar with blender, I continued using gmax. Eventually I could get it managed to organize one cable in several different parts moving along the same axis like a teleskope divice. This of course required a lot of "b.r.dummy" objects and some of it within an extra animation. To get the cable parts moving at the same axe I used the function "look at constraint" quite a lot :)

Your's TUME

Well its noon and it is still -24 °C (went down into the -30 °C’s again last night) so while hibernating it is a good time to work on Trainz.

I reactivated a model I started back in 2017. I had finished what I hope is the hardest part, animating the handle and gears of the handcar. The angle of the connecting rod was a challenge. Presently working on animating the man. Then will finish off turning the handcar into an animated “locomotive” and will texture the man and the car.

Cayden

lhbu1NY.jpg

Back