GMax and 3DSMax (And any other modeling program) screenies/renders

The IM exporter does not work with Blender 2.8. You’ll have to use the FBX format, which works in TANE SP3, TRS19 and up
Understood now. I used FBX. For a while I didn't even know that 2.8x worked for anything trainz related because everyone was saying it didn't work....

bandicam_2020-08-24_01-53-07-984.png

That is because the Bull Mooses are class MC-2 and up, later SA-C-2 and up. The Bull Mooses as built would've had an identical headlight arrangement as well, aside from them having electric as opposed to oil lights. Photos and diagrams of this class are incredibly hard to find, at least of the "as built" versions. You might know them in their more famous later form on the Southern Pacific as the original Cab Forwards.

The Harriman Mallets were built in the late 1900s for the Union Pacific, Oregon Railroad & Navigation, Southern Pacific, and the Norfolk and Western. They weren't the greatest design due to a number of factors, mainly related to the preheater on the boiler and being hand fired articulateds which made it difficult to keep up steam. They were also slow, only topping out at around 20mph light engine. I felt the design was interesting enough to warrant a go at a 3D model, since no model of a MC-1 has been made for any train simulator. Considering how little information is out there I am impressed with how far I've gotten. Sadly the lemons of the UP haven't gotten the same amount of attention as the Big Boys and Challengers when it comes to books and magazines. My sources have been mostly erecting cards, a handful of photos, the book Motive Power of the Union Pacific, a UPHS publication from the 70s and AC-2 Cab Forward diagrams to fill in missing gaps.

The Coach Yard Did a brass model of the Harriman 2-8-8-2 about a year ago and brass trains takes pictures of them here's a link. https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGu...oach-Yard-TCY-3009-Union-Pacific-2-8-8-2-MC-1

A WIP of the last three weeks ... 1910 Beyer Peacock shunting loco (Factory Build Nº 5394), Central Uruguay Rwy. Nº 17 ...

Does anyone want a Walschaerts Valve Gear tutorial?
How are you doing the animation? Zec already has a YouTube video using the mind numbingly inefficient technique of moving and rotating empties/lattices freehand for each part of the gear, but if you are using armatures I'm sure a lot of people would be interested. I sure you already know, but what you have shown is missing the difficult bits to actually move the valve spindles...

Paul

How are you doing the animation? Zec already has a YouTube video using the mind numbingly inefficient technique of moving and rotating empties/lattices freehand for each part of the gear, but if you are using armatures I'm sure a lot of people would be interested. I sure you already know, but what you have shown is missing the difficult bits to actually move the valve spindles...

Paul
Yes I am actually using blender armatures and bones using Inverse Kinematics. Once I get that valve spindle perfected (One thing I haven't done), I might create a video for it. The armature was done in less than 45m.

Last edited:
I have been considering the idea of a Walschaerts valve gear with a fully functional dynamic cutoff and range of motion.

https://youtu.be/5AMmhKgi8qU

Using this tutorial, it would take some time and effort to get it working.

Someone on the Trainz discord came up with an in-game IK system.

[video]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/466716159601934358/744555506789515364/ik2.mp4[/video]

Not exactly ... the Expansion Link drives the Radius Rod , and both ends are dependant from moving parts .

A few months posted mine :

Back