Getting Edits to Stick

raymac1946

Old But Crafty
So I download a route from the DLS. There are a couple of unknown assets I cannot find anywhere. I edit the config.txt file and replace them with known assets. Submit edits and everything is OK. Then I make a new session and save it. My old faulty route comes back and I have the misssing assets back in the config.txt file. This doesn't seem correct to me but I don't know what I've done wrong. Any suffestions to make edits stick? One route that I've had this problem with is Indiana Western 1.0. Don't know why.

Unlike other assets, the KUID list in the config.txt file for routes doesn't specify TO the route, it comes FROM the route. So changing it in the config.txt does not work to change anything in the route. In order to make a substitution in the route, look for the orange wireframe boxes for missing assets. Then locate an object you want to use for a substitute. Place the object where the orange wireframe is. Then use the menu to "Delete Missing Assets". Of course then you have to save the route under your own user ID. I just give it a name like "OriginalName-JT" (my initials). It's a bit of a pain because then any sessions have to be changed to the new map, but as far as I know it is the only way. It also doesn't work for bulk replace things like trees if you don't have the original tree asset. Then you have to clone a replacement and give it the original KUID. Maybe someone else has a better trick.

Last edited:
So if you have a massive route like Levi and Appalachian that has 1000s of assets and maybe a couple unknowns it might take hours before you see a bunch of wireframe boxes. Is it safe enough to just delete the assets which I suspect are extraneous scenery items, then save under your name?

Unless it is just one or two missing assets I just delete missing assets and cross my fingers, it can always be re-downloaded if required.
All assets may have been on the dls when uploaded - not always down to the creator.

Raymac1946, yes that is always an option, and may not even be noticed if it is just a car sitting somewhere or an extraneous building or something. You can also post in the "Missing KUIDs" thread and we may be able to help you find them, but there are a lot of older assets that just aren't available anymore.

Find the red missing box and it should tell you the kuid and name of the missing asset. You could then find a suitable replacement. If there are lots, like trees you can just replace the asset. Open the config of the replacement asset and add the container "obsolete-table" and obsolete the missing kuid. Open the route and the missing asset should be replaced then save on exit. Don't forget to revert the replacement asset to the original afterward.

Back