GE Hybrid?

kmothersil

Does anyone have a guess on when this engine will go into production? By the way i notice we have no thread about this engine so here you guys go.

2007_in_evolution-hybrid_m.jpg

Hybrid? Does that mean steam?

"The energy dissipated in braking a 207-ton locomotive during the course of one year is enough to power 160 households for that year. GE engineers are working on a hybrid locomotive that could capture all that energy and store it for later use. The goal: increase power while reducing fuel use and emmissions."

I believe that the energy dissipated is in the form of heat that could make steam. A diesel-electric-steam hybrid loco?:p

I think the blue engine was a CG picture. The rails are the black shadows extending off the edge of the picture. Maybe they could have highlighted the rail head to make it stand out more.

:cool:Claude

I think the blue engine was a CG picture. The rails are the black shadows extending off the edge of the picture. Maybe they could have highlighted the rail head to make it stand out more.

:cool:Claude

I think so too. The green one definitely looks fake with those very thin rails.

John

Here is probably the last picture of the engine for the 2008 year.

Nice "real" picrure. Any idea where it was taken? There appears to be some old catenary on the right side in the picture. This looks like the old Pennsy-style poles.

John

Nice "real" picrure. Any idea where it was taken? There appears to be some old catenary on the right side in the picture. This looks like the old Pennsy-style poles.

John

The picture was taken at Bedford Park, Illinois on September 26, 2008 more than three months ago.

Back