Frame rates in trainz

constar261

When I first put my msi gtx 760 gpu in my tower trainz would run from 200 to 20 fps now for some reason I am stuck between 15 and 69 fps is there any way for me to get that performance back?

How would one go about editing or disabling the v sync settings in trainz?

Make sure you are running with DirectX and not Open/GL. Open/GL is very slow. You shouldn't have to touch the V-sync in Trainz. You can however play with your video card settings via the NVidia Control Panel if you wish.

John

same issue....

When I first put my msi gtx 760 gpu in my tower trainz would run from 200 to 20 fps now for some reason I am stuck between 15 and 69 fps is there any way for me to get that performance back?

How would one go about editing or disabling the v sync settings in trainz?

i too have same issue..no matter what hardware one uses... the fps sucks...

I there a way to get trainz to show all measurements in the imperial system rather than the default metric which one would have to switch in driver?

Regarding DirectX and TS2006 & TS2010. I use both games running under OpenGL. My PC's dxdiag says I have DirectX 11 (running Windows 7). There was an older thread I read saying Trainz versions through TS12 only use DirectX 9.0c with a link on how to get it and install it. I've not tried switching either 2006 or 2010 to DirectX, but can these versions even be run under DirectX 11 without introducing more problems? Trainz are the only video games I have on the PC. As for FPS, would I likely only see FPS improvements if I back date to DirectX 9.0? Would backdating to DiectX 9.0 likely cause Windows 7 problems, etc.?

Regarding DirectX and TS2006 & TS2010. I use both games running under OpenGL. My PC's dxdiag says I have DirectX 11 (running Windows 7). There was an older thread I read saying Trainz versions through TS12 only use DirectX 9.0c with a link on how to get it and install it. I've not tried switching either 2006 or 2010 to DirectX, but can these versions even be run under DirectX 11 without introducing more problems? Trainz are the only video games I have on the PC. As for FPS, would I likely only see FPS improvements if I back date to DirectX 9.0? Would backdating to DiectX 9.0 likely cause Windows 7 problems, etc.?

I've just and there both an InputDirectX 9.0 dll and Call DirectX 9.0 dll installed in Trainz already in TRS2009 and TS12 at least. No, it won't affect Windows 7 because this is what I use and it hasn't.

I second Bob's suggestion on Shane's tutorials.

Regarding DX 09c and current operating systems such as Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, it works fine. It installs as a subset to your current DirectX install and coexists side-by-side. The reason why we need to do this is due to the current DirectX versions not having all of components of DX09. They have parts of the older specs and drivers, but are missing the important components needed by Trainz and many other programs for that matter. By installing the older DirectX 09.c, this adds the necessary components in and everything works.

Over the years, I have found that some versions of NVidia drivers worked better in Open/GL than they did in DirectX. Now it seems the current breed prefer DirectX over Open/GL as the performance is pretty sucky in Open/GL.

John

Imperial Units

In driver, right click the Additional Tools Menu icon (for me it's the 3rd icon in the upper right corner) and select Switch to Imperial Units.

Bob Weber

I second Bob's suggestion on Shane's tutorials.

Regarding DX 09c and current operating systems such as Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, it works fine. It installs as a subset to your current DirectX install and coexists side-by-side. The reason why we need to do this is due to the current DirectX versions not having all of components of DX09. They have parts of the older specs and drivers, but are missing the important components needed by Trainz and many other programs for that matter. By installing the older DirectX 09.c, this adds the necessary components in and everything works.

Over the years, I have found that some versions of NVidia drivers worked better in Open/GL than they did in DirectX. Now it seems the current breed prefer DirectX over Open/GL as the performance is pretty sucky in Open/GL.

John
How would you install so they run side by side?

I looked up Shane's Tutorial and followed these instructions:

Redistributable Version

This can be downloaded from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...11&clcid=0x409.

This one is a bit more complex, but may be needed if the computer running Trainz does not have an internet connection. You will need a system with an internet connection to download the file, then a USB stick or CD to copy it to the system running Trainz.

This version can also be used to save a copy of the DirectX files in case of a system re-install (be aware though, this version does not update itself so you may have to check the link every few months for updates.

To install this version:

1. Click the link above, then click Download on the page that appears.

2. A File Download box will appear:Click Save then save it to the desktop (it is nearly 100MB worth of file, so it may take a while on a slow connection).

--If this is not the Trainz system, you will need to copy the DirectX redistributable just downloaded over to the Trainz system at this point-

3.Create a folder on the desktop of the system running Trainz (which may or may not be the same system with the internet connection) for the DirectX installation files.

4.Run the file, selecting the folder you just created when asked where you want to extract the files to (make sure it's to the folder you created)

5.Open the folder you created, then run the dxsetup.exe file inside (there will be a load of .cab files, a few other files, and the dxsetup.exe file)

NOTE: the file may just be called dxsetup, if Windows is set to hide filename extensions)

6. An installation wizard will then appear: click to accept the license agreement then click Next.

7. The next screen will then inform of what will be installed - click Next.

8. The update will start automatically: click Finish when it is done. The update is now complete.

Everything worked according to his instructions. But, how do I know it installed Version 9.0 (or where it put it)? After a restart, I ran dxdiag and it says I have Version 11 (I'm running Windows 7). I already had Version 11. There is no mention of Version 9. I looked at installed programs and there is no mention of DirectX (any version, 9 or 11) or any installations of anything dated Aug 25, 2014. I ran a search on the Programs and Programs (x86) folders for dx and directX. Nothing came up with today's date. TrainzDiag says: "DirectX : Version 10.0 or later : Passed".

Is this just one of those, "trust me, it's there" things?

One clarification: I downloaded from this link that was in Shane's earlier tutorial: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56511&clcid=0x409. I could not find anything at the first link above that matched his description as to what the Version 9.0 would appear as (date wise, etc.). Otherwise, the installation instructions were the same.

Last edited:
DXDiag will not tell you if you use Windows Vista or later. The only way of knowing is to do a file search in system32 (or syswow64 for 64-bit systems) for d3dx9_43.dll.

Shane

Hey all, i have always used OpenGL but i was just installing Directx, i followed all instructions but i keep getting this error.

???

Hey all, i have always used OpenGL but i was just installing Directx, i followed all instructions but i keep getting this error.

???

That's usually caused by one of 3 things:

1. Not having a recent enough version of DirectX installed.
2. Having a graphics card that doesn't support Trainz (i.e. OpenGL problems).
3. Incorrect settings in the Trainz Options box.

Shane

I know its not 2 because OpenGl works fine. How recent should my directx be? What wrong setting? Sorry i'm not very techy lol.

DirectX - should be at least the August 2009 version.

Settings - the ones to check are resolution, bit depth, and the ones on the Advanced tab.

Shane

Back