First Reskin

Needs work. And its not much either. Certain parts on the map arnt matching up, your lights are completely black, and all it looks like it you took the bump map like in my tutorials and threw on black and whit colors. Try making it stand out more, like peters ES44's he makes, or try a logo, its simple. Say your reskining it to BNSF. find a good BNSF logo on google, open it in gimp, edit the colors or anything that need to be fixed so it blends well. Make the black match the black on the skin, make the yellow match the yellow and so forth. I would say ok for a test, but keep trying at it. Soon, you can look into textures, details, shadowing, and much more to customize the loco to your liking.

Well I think it is a great start. Bentrain is a little overzealous. If you want start with JR rollingstock that comes with the .psd files to reskin. As for logos you will need to either make your own. Good luck.

Ok first off, like in your tutorial, I threw on 2 colors, just like you(at least my 2 colors took up the whole locomotive unlike yours). Second, please, send me a picture of your first reskin so I can see how amazing your first looked! im sure your first reskin didn't look any better than mine. its like riding a bike. Im sure you fell like everybody else the first time you got on one, but you keep trying and trying until you get it right. and I also know it needs work( I mean come on, I know it sucks. I wouldn't in a million years download mine if it was on the dls).

First off where did I say mine was better? And My tutorial was an example it was never to be finished. I dont even have that skin anymore. After I finished the video I deleted it. Also I never said its bad. I said its a start, and I gave you suggestions that I was hoping you wanted, like making a logo but I guess not. And hert, darn right I am.
Also:
Leave comments on how you think I did! I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!

Second, please, send me a picture of your first reskin so I can see how amazing your first looked!
Here, my first ever. Nothing fancy. Made it from a TCR (I think) M7 unit they released.
UxoGMRM.jpg

And heres my first official "reskin" of a JR unit, which was me messing around in gimp for an hour. So more of an exploration for past reskinning tutorials.
OgfncQR.jpg

And then which came to this, again messing around in gimp. So sorry if im being overzealous again, but you asked.
IXLRJhz.jpg

the hard part for me is how to import logos onto locos. I have the painting down pat now, but its the placing of logos onto the body of the locomotive.

Last edited:
the hard part for me is how to import logos onto locos. I have the painting down pat now, but its the placing of logos onto the body of the locomotive.

Pasting the image on, then changing the opacity to blend into the engine is what I would suggest for a beginner.

Congrats on your first reskin! I wish I could do it. I did try to learn how to do this in the flight sim I used to have. It drove me nuts! Keep it up, I think you're going to be great at it!

Cheers....Rick

Pasting the image on, then changing the opacity to blend into the engine is what I would suggest for a beginner.

This might be a useful question to get answered for the OP:

From my limited experience at reskinning, changing the opacity of the image blends the color of the image with that of the underlying object. Say I'm trying to put yellow letters on a blue engine. Changing the opacity (at least the way I do it) to keep door hinges and such on the engine at least partly visible makes my lettering greenish.

How do you keep the yellow lettering yellow and still allow bumps underneath to show through?

Andrew

This might be a useful question to get answered for the OP:

From my limited experience at reskinning, changing the opacity of the image blends the color of the image with that of the underlying object. Say I'm trying to put yellow letters on a blue engine. Changing the opacity (at least the way I do it) to keep door hinges and such on the engine at least partly visible makes my lettering greenish.

How do you keep the yellow lettering yellow and still allow bumps underneath to show through?

Andrew

Dont know what program your using. But you change the opacity setting to multiply or burn and a slight opacity like 95% And you slightly see the loco details behind it. This is the easiest way. What I do is use the magic wand tool in gimp and actually paint the logo unto the loco.

Dont know what program your using. But you change the opacity setting to multiply or burn and a slight opacity like 95% And you slightly see the loco details behind it. This is the easiest way. What I do is use the magic wand tool in gimp and actually paint the logo unto the loco.

Thanks, hert. I too am using gimp, so I'll have to practice some more. Still quite green at it.

Sorry for the digression, rafter. Your reskin looks good so far. It is fun though to see "your own vision" of a loco, isn't it? :)

Andrew

Thanks, hert. I too am using gimp, so I'll have to practice some more. Still quite green at it.

Sorry for the digression, rafter. Your reskin looks good so far. It is fun though to see "your own vision" of a loco, isn't it? :)

Andrew
Super fun!!!

Hi Rafter
For your first re skin not a bad job just keep hacking away . I am still learn myself
REvans

@Rafter

For logos, I import the logo into a separate layer, then it looks fine (or fine enough for me anyway, I"ve only done a couple resins.

For logos, I usually create a separate image with a transparent background (I use GIMP). Simplest method is finding a logo using a Google search or similar. Don't worry if it is more than just the logo as 'extracting' what you need isn't difficult. Simply copy and paste onto your transparent canvas, anchor the image (Ctrl + H) and use the 'magic wand' to select what you want.

You may have to hold down Ctrl to make multiple selections if the logo is more than one colour. By adjusting the tolerance of the 'magic wand' select tool and slightly feathering the edges of the selection, you should be able to get what you need. Invert your selection and hit delete. This should leave you with what you want which you can then crop, copy, resize and paste onto your loco texture. As hert suggested, give it slight opacity before you anchor it down.

Rafter,

is it possible to make a file for repainting the GP38-2 available?\

Cheers

It has already been pointed out that there isn't a 38-2 reskin file out there, but there is a straight GP 38 skin for repainting. Also, there is a GP 38-2 WIDECAB file for reskinning.

Back