First Impressions of Trainz THD on Android

mawilson

Former Railie
Android apps can be really good and they can be really awful. That can happen when development relies on the Basic of the new millenium, AKA Java. So I usually approach new apps with extreme caution. Sorry, N3V. That includes yours. This time, however, I was rewarded with a good one. Now it isn't TS12, or even TS6. But, considering that it's designed to run on a tablet, no one in their right mind would expect it to be. It is good enough for me to spend probably too much quality time playing with it.

First some particulars. I've had about 4 hours with the app so far. I'm running it on an ASUS Transformer TF101 with Android 3.2.1 (Honeycomb) on board. The TF101 uses an Nvidia Tegra2 processor. I have a docking station but that is of little consequence to Trainz THD other than the extra battery life.

Start Up
Once purchased, installation was painless. The app came up without a hitch, that is after it phoned home for a significant amount of content. You will need Internet access to bring it up the first time. Once all the downloading is done, you'll be deposited on a page offering tutorials. If you've been through a PC version of Trainz most things will be familiar enough but, go through them anyway.

Driving Trains
Motion, at least on the transformer is smooth. That is, until the Tegra2 has to deal with an interrupt. Thankfully, in the JVM world, that doesn't happen very often. Working the DDC controls takes a little getting used to. That's one good reason to do the tutorials. I don't do in-cab controls. Someone else will have to comment on that. One of the things you have to get used to is the size of the widgets. By Android Developer standards, they are too small. Hitting them consistently requires some practice.

Moving and Looking Around
Altering the display is predictable for a tablet with a multitouch display. The usual gestures work as you would expect within the context of the current display option. If you aren't careful, you can get disoriented and even lose your place. That isn't unique to the tablet environment, though. I've managed it a few times on the PC as well.

Surveyor
Driving trains is okay. Frankly, I prefer to watch them. But, being able to build a new layout? On a tablet? Well! Now you're talking. Again, this ain't no PC. And using touch to do the modelling is going to take some practice. But what Trainz THD provides is not too shabby. The Surveyor controls suffer from the same problem as the DDC, and most all the other widgets, do. They are small. Think miniature version of the PC Surveyor and you'd be close.

Early Observations
Were I to sit in on the next design meeting at N3V, what would I say? First, this is a pretty good start. Really, it is. But, it isn't great yet. Spend some time refactoring the user interface to better conform to the AD standards. Those standards are based on human factors research and address the limitations of both the OS and the platforms. That one thing, alone, would make the app orders of magnitude better.

Next, provide some means to manage content. I'd guess that most Trainzers tend toward content they might find in their own backyard. Nothing against content for other countries but, for me, it just clutters precious storage space. You see, tablet users don't have the luxury of terabyte HDDs. Now, some would say, "Just don't use it." Okay. But, it's still eating space and I have to keep scanning through it when I'm building routes. Ideally, I'd like to be able to selectively move content off to removable flash and, maybe, put it back later.

As a sort of corollary, provide some means to add content. It sort of falls out, really, as a degenerative case of managing content. One of the truly awesome aspects of the Trainz world is the richness of the available content and the army of talented modelers who create it. Now modeling for the small, mobile world isn't as easy as it sounds but, I'm sure, given the information necessary, there would be a few who would dare venture there. They just need a channel. Give 'em a chance.

Back