Final Questions

SemperFy

Q:

When ever I change ground textures I am not sure how I should go about going from, say, grass to.... gravel. How could I do this without making the textures look messed up, and decent enough to look believable?

Q:

I also have a problem when I change my tracks. I will start out with one type of track, then later on in the route I will switch off to a different type of track. How can I make it look decent at the point where the tracks change? It doesn't seem right when it goes from one track, and then branches off to another, different kind.

Q:

Finally, when I lay down ground textures I hate how they are the size of one square, and repeats itself every square. Its looks ugly. So when trying to make, say, a grass land, how can I make it so the grass doesn't look repeated, but it doesn't look all off color?

Answers to these would greatly help me in my routes. Help appreciated. :)

-Semp

Not sure mate, I never usually get as far as that ^_^

#2 Sadly no, not unless you get third kind of track that changes gradually from one to the other...

#3 I usually just change the direction every few strokes..

Thanks for the reply. Ill try number 3.

If someone doesn't come up with an answer for the other 2 then I guess I'll just keep researching...

Edit- Also, when taking pictures, how would I go about getting rid of the hud?

-Semp

Last edited:
Edit- Also, when taking pictures, how would I go about getting rid of the hud?

The F5 key. It's also worth losing the junction information by using the ? button on the menu in the top lefthand corner.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave. Extremely helpful. :)

Also, thanks forum members who don't flame me for asking a couple newb questions.

-Semp

Hi Semp

A perennial problem. Regarding textures there are a few things people do to overcome the problems;

- In the Trainz performance settings, make sure you have texture passes set to maximum (which I think is 3).

- Rotate the textures as you add them; hold either the [ or the ] key as you place your texture.

- Vary the 'scale' setting of the textures so as to provide a bit more randomness to it.

- Use more than 2 textures when making transitions, unless you really ned a sharp change from one to the other. You should have no trouble with grass, the DLS is overflowing with different grass textures.

- There are some textures out there that are truly shocking and impossible not to get that 'tiled' look with. They are usually the ones that have repetition even within the original bitmap of the texture, or they have very stark areas of contrast (such as dark shadows against bright areas). You have to avoid these, but it's a matter of trial and error.

Regarding tracks, yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a convincing track transition in a Trainz layout. I recall seeing on the DLS various sets of tracks with transition sections included, but don't know how effective they were. I think they were made by Glasgow Trains or something. Try searching on the word 'transition' in the DLS, possibly in the description field.

Deane

Awesome Deane, thanks!

I was already onto using more than one type of texture, but thanks for the tip on how to change it.

Ill be sure to get some shots in by tomorrow. Getting late here.

Last edited:
US railroads track transition.

Most of the time there is no transition between track types. Some places a railroad will have two types of tracks right next to each other.

When I have a different track on a branch line I make the junction with the original track, lay a short stub (just a few meters) then start laying the new track. It's not perfect, but looks reasonable.
To blend textures, I like to use the circle at minimum radius and use a light touch to feather the edges. Just tap the mouse button lightly and as quickly as possible. Some textures lay down very lightly when you do that.

:cool: Claude

Yea, Ive been doing that Tokkyu, and it looks pretty decent. Actually, you described what I have been doing since I've started. Lol. I must be on some kind of right track.

Any who, thanks to all of your tips my new route is coming along steadily with problems at a minimum... For now..

I find that it's easiest to lay down your route, and then build into it rather than lay down parts of your route and build into it at separate times. :)

Well it's been a couple days, so I suspect its alright if i double post real quick? I didn't want to make a new thread for this, so heres a new question:

Where can I ask someone to make a script of a train?

I checked the forums and I couldn't find a place to ask, and I don't want to misplace a thread.

Back