enginesound headaches

dorimcheon

Hello folks,
trying to make my own engine sound set.
modified the R46 train thingy that came part of SEN CITY 2006 and tried to use it in there.

nothing plays. nothing works! all i hear is hissing and then clunking sounds as it goes thru the rail.

What am I doing wrong? It was modeled after the R62 sound set so i thought there wouldn't be any problems ... anyone would like to check out my asset for me?

much appreciated
http://rapidshare.com/files/13065084/1.cdp.html
if you'd like to hear what it's supposed to sound like, click here
http://m-msk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/SeoulSubway-Ujangsan-Palsan5250.MP3

Last edited:
Hi dorimcheon

The most common problem is that when you have processed your own files, you need to ensure that they are 22kHz mono .wavs when you save them, otherwise trainz can't play them.

Another issue may be that if you have used some files from the R62 sound set, then the .wavs you are creating will need to be in the same format (in terms of bit rate) as the R62 ones, as they all need to be in the same bit rate in one asset (though two different assets can have sounds of different bit rates).

Hope this helps, but sing out if you have any further hassles.

Cheers
Tony

woot! thanks, that was the problem.

Now i need to figure out what idle 3 to idle 8 refer to.

from what I understand, the sound files are determined by the engine pressure? how would I be able to monitor the engine pressure? it plays choppy, meaning the sounds are about 5 seconds long but it cuts off at about 2 seconds in.

Hi dorimcheon

Each of the idleX.wav files are used at each of the 8 notches used on the throttle and are played as a loop, so you have to use sound clips that are seamless, i.e. they play well as a loop with no gaps or marked start or end. The ones that refer to up X - Y.wav and down Y - X.wav are the sounds played once only during the transition from notch X to notch Y. The sound system for non-steam stuff was really set up for EMD type prime movers controlled using their 8 notch type controllers and is best for them. It doesn't work very well for electrics where the speed of the train is usually the prime sound variable for traction motor noise, wind noise etc.

Cheers
Tony

You need all 8 idle sounds filled, otherwise you wont hear anything when in full power; if an enginespec specifies only a certain number of notches, then the available idle sounds will be divided into the notch values, with either some sounds being missed out or duplicated to fill the notches evenly.

If you are hearing silences when the idle sounds are playing and you aren't changing notches, make sure in your sound editing program that there are no silences when you play it through.

There is no easy way to make sounds for electric cars, since it is not possible to play sounds according to how fast the engine goes. It is possible to use scripting for that purpose, but that is really, really complicated;

There is no easy way to make sounds for electric cars, since it is not possible to play sounds according to how fast the engine goes. It is possible to use scripting for that purpose, but that is really, really complicated;
Actually, Tommy it's fairly easy to play sounds based on the loco's speed and also have them influenced - say like vol intensity - by throttle setting as might be the case with electric motors directly geared to the wheels. In any case it is possible with a custom loco script. If you can accept a series of say 10 - 20 stepped sound files rather than a smooth transition thru the speed range it's possible right now - the code required is pretty simple. Making a proper series of sound files to go with the script is a bigger task.

There's actually been a bit of progress on this for steam loco sounds with throttle and cutoff effects. Recently someone else picked up on an idea I tried to script way back in TRS2004 and now it looks a bit more promising (still not perfect) but more to come on this later.

Bob Pearson

Hi Guys,

Just on a slight tangent......

If you want a good sound for the NYCTA R46 trains, tydev417 has a ready made, excellent alternative to the in-built 'electric' sound.

Its kuid:63192:53001

Its designed for the R46 train and is sooooh much better that the built in one.

ALSO... I've just noticed there is an update - kuid2:63192:53001:1

Off to try that!

Boat

Actually, Tommy it's fairly easy to play sounds based on the loco's speed and also have them influenced - say like vol intensity - by throttle setting as might be the case with electric motors directly geared to the wheels. In any case it is possible with a custom loco script. If you can accept a series of say 10 - 20 stepped sound files rather than a smooth transition thru the speed range it's possible right now - the code required is pretty simple. Making a proper series of sound files to go with the script is a bigger task.

There's actually been a bit of progress on this for steam loco sounds with throttle and cutoff effects. Recently someone else picked up on an idea I tried to script way back in TRS2004 and now it looks a bit more promising (still not perfect) but more to come on this later.

Bob Pearson

how would i go about doing this?

Back