Steam sounds not working in modified loco-Ben Neal's S&A 750

rwk

I modified a reskin (WM 4-6-2 from PA Trainz) of Ben's S&A high headlight 750 to replace the 4-6-2 wheels with 2-8-0 wheels to make a consolidation because I'm trying to make Black River & Western's #60, and the body of the S&A/WM loco looks closer to the body of #60 than Ben's 2-8-0 high headlight, which has a shorter boiler. It seems from photos that the real #60 has a longer boiler, which also tapers, that is it's fatter at the cab end, then dips down toward the front and is smaller. Ben's S&A model also has a tapered boiler as well, and the headlight extends over the front of the boiler like #60 does. The problem I'm having is that the chugs don't work in my modified version. Well, the slow chugs work, but then the chugs fade away to nothing as it picks up speed. Is there anything I can do to fix that? I tried replacing the enginesound, no luck. It seems that this loco uses a separate folder called "sound" for the chug files and hiss file. There are four chug files. Ben's other locos aren't set up like this, the other locos use a separate enginesound file referenced in the config. I just tested a reskinned 2-8-0 from the DLS (Interstate RR) and for some odd reason, there's no chug at all. Is there any way to fix that? Or would Ben know more on how to fix it? There are a bunch of Ben's locos on the DLS from a different author where the wheel configurations were changed from the original. That is easy to do, just change the kuid's of the bogeys in the config. I would really like to know if there is a way to fix the no chug problem in these modified versions. Thanks, Robert BTW, I'm testing these in TS12.

Yes the engine sounds can be changed. The problems are a little different from upgrading most other steam locos to the new steam physics sounds. Some of Ben's locos use a script controlled engine sound so they can get 4 cuffs per rev in cab mode for TRS04 and 06. For DCC some locos used an invisible bogey set at 1/2 the animdist so it rotated 2x normal speed to get 4 cuffs but in cab mode this arrgt still only gets 2 cuffs. The script Ben uses works the same with dcc and cab modes without resorting to the invisible bogey trick. The script is also capable of running a set of looping sounds based on loco speed (which can be keyed to wheel rpm) but Ben doesn't utilize that part IIRC. I wrote most of the script for him so I know it's pretty easy to disable the sound thread in it and then reference a new engine sound asset in the loco config. If you're thinking it handles steam sounds similar to the new steam sounds that came out in TC3 you're pretty much correct but we had the script working before TC1 came out and someone had shown Auran what it could do by that time. Doing it with a script has a lot of limitations that they don't have in the game engine - so what took them so long? 8-(

Any of his locos that use this type of script can be ugraded the same way. Edit the script to comment out the line calling the sound thread and then reference a new enginesound asset and make sure the main drive wheel bogey and only the main drive wheel bogey has the "direct-drive 1" tag. All other bogeys must have either no direct-drive tag or a "direct-drive 0" tag. If the sound thread isn't included in the script you only need to ref a new sound asset and check/modify the direct-drive tag in the bogeys.

I'm sure I've posted on this before but whether I can find it with the current search function is a bit iffy. If I do I'll post the link otherwise I'll indicate how to edit the script to disable the sounds. Then you can make the usual mods to let the game engine control the enginesounds with the new steam physics.

Bob Pearson

[Edit] PS - No luck finding the post so basically here's how you upgrade Ben's locos that have the sound thread in the script:

1) Edit the loco script found in the main folder when you open the asset for editing in explorer with CM. File name is "steamlocomotive0905.gs". There are 2 scripts in the folder so make sure you open the correct one. ConTEXT is a good editor for script files but any ascii text editor like Notepad that comes with all windows versions can be used.
Look for the Init() method that's located about 2/3rds of the way to the bottom:
Code:
    public void Init(void)
    {
        inherited();
        //Interface.Log("***** " + myName + " Init in loco called *****");
        //Interface.Print(myName + " Init in loco called");
        meAsset = GetAsset();
       [COLOR=#ff0000] //[/COLOR]SoundSetup();   <-- comment out this line by adding the //'s shown in red - this is line 135 in the file
    }
Save the file and make sure the name is still "steamlocomotive0905.gs" not a .txt extension.
2) Open the config.txt file and edit the enginesound tag:
change:
enginesound <kuid2:96914:53750:1>
to:
enginesound <kuid2:126323:53050:1>

If you want to use some other enginesound asset just use its kuid in place of <kuid2:126323:53050:1> which is a built-in in TS12 for 2 cylinder steam locos.

3) You should also edit the enginespec tag and reference a new espec but this isn't necessary to correct the sound issue as the missing "number-cylinders" and" number-power-strokes" tags should default to the correct values.

4) Commit the loco in CM. And check for any errors.

5) Check all the bogeys listed in the loco's config for correct direct-drive tag values and edit the configs as necessary.
Note - since you're modifing the bogeys used you'll have to check the ones you're referencing.
The main drive wheel bogey should have a "direct-drive 1" tag. All others should have either "direct-drive 0" or not have a direct-drive tag.

6) Commit any bogeys opened for editing and check for errors

Should be good to go.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back