Frustrating enginesound issues...

AlexMaria

Ente Ferrovie dello Stato
Good evenig evryone,

I'd like to start by saying that this isn't my first enginesound, but nonetheless it still has quite severe issues.

What i'm trying to recreate is a realistic GTO Chopper enginesound for electric multiple units.

Now, trains with GTO Chopper control have two distinct sounds: the chopper whine (wich in the case of GTO-type choppers, makes a small, brief three-note melody when starting: Do-Re-Mi), wich plays constantly at a "Mi" musical note when the power controller is in a traction position and stops as soon as the power controller is placed in the "idle" or "neutral position", and the motor transmission growl, whose pitch gets proportionally higher with the train's speed.

In other words, this is the result i'm triyng to get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVtG0gHoqdA&t=105s&ab_channel=TOQBOX9000

Most chopper controlled trains also have regenerative electric braking, wich means that the choppers are active (and make their distinctive whine) also during braking.
I did attempt at this too, but i've failed several times and gave up.

Given that this is a rather complex sound to make, i've decided to use two different enginesounds togheter in the same train: a diesel-type enginesound with the chopper whine ("TRTA 0X Serieses GTO Chopper enginesound") and an electric-type one for the motor transmission growl ("Socimi - Tokyu 8000 Series Motor Transmission Sound").

Out of an 8-car consist, the two end cars use the "chopper" enginesound, and the remaining intermediate six use the "motor transmissioN" enginesound. In theory, the two should play armoniously togheter to give the effect i had expected.

Except they don't.

Depsite there being no apparent issue, the chopper enginesound does not plays any of the "ramp up" and "ramp down" soundfiles, playing only the "idle 1 trough 8" ones, with a considerably long silence between idle files; while the motor growl using the electric enginesound, wich is supposed to raise the ptich of the engine_loop file proportionately with the train speeds, does this only for the first 30Km/h: when it hits the 30Km/h mark, the pitch stops raising and the sounds becomes stationary, but the train is still accellerating.

Again, i've checked line-by-line with the Kind enginesound manual, but i've found no issues with the config text. In other words, both enginesound should work perfectly, except that they don't.
To add to my frustration, it appears also that changing the value of the "isramping" and "isfading" parameters from 0 to 1 has no effect on the enginesound itself, meaning that trainz appears to get things randomly.

The chopper sound config is as follows:

kuid <kuid:668654:101776>
username "TRTA 0X Serieses GTO Chopper enginesound"
kind "enginesound"
isfading 1
isramping 1
category-era "1980s"
category-region "00"
engine-sound-ramp-up-durations 1.984,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228
engine-sound-ramp-down-durations 0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.228,0.609
trainz-build 2.9
category-class "ZS"

thumbnails
{
{
image "enginesound.jpg"
width 720
height 405
}
}

kuid-table
{
}

The motor-transmission sound config is as follows:

username "Socimi - Tokyu 8000 Series Motor Transmission Sound"
kind "enginesound"
trainz-build 2.9
isramping 0
isfading 0
speedup 5
category-class "ZS"
category-era "1930s;1940s;1950s;1960s;1970s;1980s;1990s;2000s;2010s"
category-region "IT"
description "..."
author "Socimi"
license "..."
organisation "=REMOVED="
contact-website "=REMOVED="
contact-email "=REMOVED="

thumbnails
{
{
image "screenshot.jpg"
width 240
height 180
}
}
kuid <kuid:668654:100918>

kuid-table
{
}

Any help?

If you'd like to take a look at both enginesounds for yourself, you can download them here.

Beyond my expertise, but in the video I thought I actually noted a four note DO-RE-MI-FA, with FA being the prolonged note....

Beyond my expertise, but in the video I thought I actually noted a four note DO-RE-MI-FA, with FA being the prolonged note....

Yes, sometimes the sound pattern depends by the intricate technical set-up of the chopper appartatus iself, something that changes from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Indeed some (four-quadrant) GTO choppers may have even four distinct DO-RE-MI-FA notes, some have a "upper scale" of RE-MI-FA, but the most common GTO chopper melody (and the one i'm aiming for) is the three-note DO-RE-MI.

I'm really interested in solving that problem...
This is one of my long-way suggestions do trainz:
ability to add traction motor sounds to any locomotive (powered traincar), playing it independent to the main engine sound (diesel and/or electric)...
Tip:
Make trainz capable of playing/reading 2 enginesound assets at same time, for the same traincar (diesel/eletric locomotives).... ?

Back