Do ordinary content makers have a place in trainz?

;) This is a statement. :hehe:

IBerTrainZ creators will keep doing assets their best. If these fit TS2009, right, if not, bad luck. ;)

The stating side of Alberte :wave:

Well one of the topics of conversation yesterday at our trainz user group met and eat was very much about this. It was reported that even some of the better producers of what could be classed as the cream of Aussie content producers are struggling to meet the new Auran requirments

There is a new trend that Auran is not even going to invest any money themself on new content production and the commuinty are now going to have to do it all themself.

So yes there is room for ever content maker, we now need them more than ever.

There is a new trend that Auran is not even going to invest any money themself on new content production and the commuinty are now going to have to do it all themself.
It's hardly a new trend, it's been like this since TRS2004 (i.e. since about 2003). I must say I don't really see what the problem is - to be honest GMax wasn't that great for creating content and the alternatives are much better. I guess it's the fear of learning something new that is putting people off.

Paul

I took a couple of years to get reasonable at gmax, and blender is gobbldegook to me, although I've found 3d canvas more understandable.
I think I haven't enough life left to learn another programme, and anyway it's the scripting that I have more trouble with.
So I suppose the things I'm doing will only be of interest to those without 09, but they'll be available anyway (eventually).

Something that strikes me about the drive for better looking content is the emphasis on amateur builders to deliver, and they won't even look at the the one thing that (to me anyway) could really improve the graphics and frame rates i.e. the alpha sorting, or lack of it.

Chris.

Tutorials for Blender for normal mapping and any other features required for trs2009. Also as applied to photographic textures and not just material (colours with bump mapping etc) textures which have no interest for me.

This would require the settings for normal maps and whether the texture details need completing as previous.
The boat has 3 seperate meshes and each mesh has its own texture and material colour as a base, and the relevant panels in Blender have the texture name in them.
Exports with no errors to .im
Sample configuration would be required to upload to trs2009 for drivable content as with the boat and similar, plus sample configs for ordinary scenery items as applied to photographic textures, normal maps, and anything else required.
That's not any different to getting a mesh into TRS2004/6, except for generating a normal map which does not need to be done if you don't want to. In Blender that is easy anyway once you have found out how to do it.

To answer the original question there seems to be a perception that there are 'advanced' content creaters who somehow magically achieve this status - we all started off knowing nothing about content creation, it's just that some people are more interested it it than others and get further because they spend more time doing it.

There's nothing wrong with not having the time or inclination to do this and anything that is produced and uploaded has a use for somebody, somewhere.

Paul

Why wait? There are already plenty of tutorials on normal mapping available for Blender. Make sure that they are about tangent space normal mapping though which was introduced in v2.46.

Paul

Why wait? There are already plenty of tutorials on normal mapping available for Blender. Make sure that they are about tangent space normal mapping though which was introduced in v2.46.

Paul

Thanks Paul will probably look into it eventually.

Barry

Back