DLS Callout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. Chris here.

I was just searching for a locomotive to weather, when i saw someone uploaded 2 of Mr. McCall's SD70Ms to the DLS both under the name "AWVR SD70M 8000s". One is a BNSF Vomit Bonnet reskin, the other an H2 reskin. Did this person get permission to do this?

Sorry if i sound rude, but i just don't want Frank to get mad.

Best Regards,

Probably best to pm him so that he is aware of the uploads. If they are uploaded without his permission he can complain to N3V via a ticket and they should remove them. Whether or not they do is sometimes questionable.

Some people lack the skills to create assets from scratch ... And apparently they don't even care if they violate a license ... so their only claim to fame is, to steal someone else's work, and quickly reskin it, doing a sloppy job, and quickly upload the illegal reskin to the DLS, without obtaining permission from the creator of the original asset ... the really sad part of it ... No one even really wants to download another carpy reskin of an ancient Sporbust loco ... lol !

Uh Oh ... No more Mr Nice Guy ... He's calling out the "action agents" on you :hehe: Who will probably massage you to a pulp, for your crams

Last edited:
Won't be the first person, won't be the last.

Sometimes It makes me just want to quit the whole repair, upgrade, and upload project of Frank's models.

Perhaps the individual will pop up and let us know what is going on.

If not, draw your own conclusions.

I don't know why his overzealous uploading with reckless abandon to breaking a creators license, would discourage you from continuing onward with your legitimate upgrades of Sporbust locos ?

Last edited:
To help you out in the future, please check the config files for not only the description, but also the licensing information. It could save you some trouble in the future.

That's not what we're talking about. You need to get permission from the creator to release modified versions of their content unless stated by the licence placed on the item, which is viewable in the config file.

Mr. McCall's license is that you MUST contact him to release mods of his content, This has been discussed many times before, John, so it should be easy enough to follow.

EDIT: Looks like Chris beat me to it.

I don't know why his overzealous uploading with reckless abandon to breaking a creators license, would discourage you from continuing onward with your legitimate upgrades of Sporbust locos ?

Because I tire of dealing with those who think they are the smartest person on the forums and that they can BS their way thru making a reskin when they don't have enough respect to ask the original content creator. Then the "Sea Lawyers" come in behind and try to tell me that people shouldn't have to READ a config file for the licensing info and that the model is abandon ware or some such nonsense.

It's quite annoying, especially when the reskin has "Fill Tool" all over it. Yes, i know, i defended it from Cascade, but let's face it: it's just clogging up the DLS, especially when they don't even have a license. Would you drive a car without one? I can't drive yet, but even then, i wouldn't!

I have seen people prematurely upload several nonsensical, 2 days old, routes that as tight kinked curves, having only 2 textures, and 2 genus of twees, with Auran built-in 1 dimensional flat tube, or bar stock track ... and I have seen people upload thousands of "reserved" assets that have no description, and no content ... which is a worse "waste of bandwidth" on the DLS.

I do agree that testers, novices, should make a Cubby link to their experimental 2 day old reskins, instead of quickly uploading more, and more unfinished "poo" to the DLS.

Shameless Link: ALCO Land Hump Yard: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...e58c5a435ef496

Last edited:
I have seen people prematurely upload several nonsensical, 2 days old, routes that as tight kinked curves, having only 2 textures, and 2 genus of twees, with Auran built-in 1 dimensional flat tube, or bar stock track ... and I have seen people upload thousands of "reserved" assets that have no description, and no content ... which is a worse "waste of bandwidth" on the DLS.

I do agree that testers, novices, should make a Cubby link to their experimental 2 day old reskins, instead of quickly uploading more, and more unfinished "poo" to the DLS.

Shameless Link: ALCO Land Hump Yard: https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...e58c5a435ef496

I give many of these people benefit of the doubt in cases like this. First of all the screen shots are the default, as in when the route is first saved screenshot for the route in TS12. On one route I was working on, I placed a track mark and for months afterwards, this was my thumb nail image. Most people don't realize this can be changed by editing the route information under the Main menu in Surveyor where the environment is changed and assets are replaced from. There are also those people on the mobile platform where routes are uploaded for storage. N3V is supposed to work this out so we don't see this and actually give these users a cloud storage at some point. I recall reading this in one of the posts a year or so ago.

As far as the reserved content, well this is true crap and N3V has been clearing these out as we point it out. This has to be reported via the helpdesk as the staff do not frequent the forums here and read every post. The old tube track... well that's a different story and people should know better, then again this could be a very young person enjoying the game as it should be and sharing his first route with the world. People have to start somewhere...

John

Hehe. I did that once. Oh well, we all make mistakes. If I have my way soon, I'll be doing my own meshes, rather than piss everyone in the world off with nagging of permission. I understand I need to ask, but god I feel sorry for the original mesh peeps.

P.S. My "PVRR" route.......no.......its just trash to me nowdays.....just felt stupid enough to upload it :p.

Hehe. I did that once. Oh well, we all make mistakes. If I have my way soon, I'll be doing my own meshes, rather than piss everyone in the world off with nagging of permission. I understand I need to ask, but god I feel sorry for the original mesh peeps.

P.S. My "PVRR" route.......no.......its just trash to me nowdays.....just felt stupid enough to upload it :p.

We all learn, or at least we're supposed to from our mistakes...

Over the years, I've looked back at some of my earlier works and actually cringe! :)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back