Custom 40' Boxcar no further reskinnable due to auto-update - How to disable updates

CitMusJoe

Trainz User
More and more I notice that the user gets gradually cut in regard to reskinning content, even for for own, local purpose without upload it anywhere.

Since the latest auto-update to Build 100240 many reskinned items now are destroyed. Even bought steam locos from K&L don't work anymore now.

The "Custom 40' Boxcar #1" and others (author: Auran itself - <kuid2:661281:35112:3>) cant be reskinned since this update. Really can't follow that policy!!! All TGAs blown away ... etc. etc.

@N3V: The following video doesn't work since the auto-update of TRS19.
https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/reskin-the-custom-40-boxcar/

Now I can only take all the stuff as it is. Rather frustrating. The only freedom I can see is using the CM to repair defect assets.
IMHO therefore no further interest in a next level of Trainz as the playground got cut too much now.

How to rollback to previous build-version 98nnn ?

So I'd want at least be able to keep the assets as it seems all my reskinned assets get destroyed by the next auto-update.

So my last question:
How can I disable all further updates in any way to prevent my own reskinning content (locally created for my own Trainz in a huge amount of my spare time) upcoming. Playing TRS19 offline all the time eventually?

Very, very disappointed as the freedom in reskinning gets more and more cut.

_______
Josef

Josef,

What is the exact error message(s) you are getting?

TGAs blown away?

Run PEV's Images2TGA program. That will convert the .texture files back to TGA files.

Try it and see if it works.

@N3V: The following video doesn't work since the auto-update of TRS19.
https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com/reskin-the-custom-40-boxcar/

What update are you referring to? There is no auto-update that I am aware of. Is this the beta?

<kuid2:661281:35112:3> is now obsoleted by <kuid2:661281:35112:4> which can be downloaded from the DLS and then modified as required. This appears to be the start of a program to gradually get these payware and built-in assets (which should never have been payware or built-in) available on the DLS in their original form. Unfortunately it will involve a lot of downloading from the DLS, which is tough for those on download limits, but it will eventually fix the problem.

The original problem occurred because you downloaded some payware - perhaps as a free offer. The best policy is to not purchase or download any payware until N3V guarantees that it will not overwrite existing freeware.

Josef,

What is the exact error message(s) you are getting?

TGAs blown away?

Run PEV's Images2TGA program. That will convert the .texture files back to TGA files.

Try it and see if it works.

John, there is no error message.

>>>TGA's blown away?<<< I mean there are no more *.tga files inside the editing folders for the 'Custom 40' Boxcar #1' but the tga-files were present in the folders before the update. Username for this content remained 'Auran' and the status in CM is - like before - 'buit-in'.

But when I try to open/Open for Editing there aren't any *.tga files inside the 'boxcar_mesh' folder and also in no other folder. I can only see *.texture files there. This was not the case before the update. Re. this see the video ( https://contentcreation.trainzsimula...tom-40-boxcar/ ) which I used as base tutorial for reskinning this boxcar, especially because it was made by N3V and they know what to do. All went very well before the update. Unfortunately I got surprised by the sudden update and had no copy of all my reskinning work at the time short before final testing the new skin. So all has gone.

o Is it legal to use the so called PEV Image2TGA program?
o If yes where can I get it (from a virus free site if you may be aware of) ?
o Is it usable for TRS19 content (v4.6) and the just released update?

But N3V surely knows what could be done, but they may have any serious reason to follow strictly this rigid policy.

Also some purchased locos I ordered via K&L's and JR's webshop . I really do consider to stop purchasing further as it is not very clear how long I will be able to use that stuff without troubles.

Thanks for your appreciated answers, John ! :)

_______
Josef

Last edited:
What update are you referring to? There is no auto-update that I am aware of. Is this the beta?

<kuid2:661281:35112:3> is now obsoleted by <kuid2:661281:35112:4> which can be downloaded from the DLS and then modified as required. This appears to be the start of a program to gradually get these payware and built-in assets (which should never have been payware or built-in) available on the DLS in their original form. Unfortunately it will involve a lot of downloading from the DLS, which is tough for those on download limits, but it will eventually fix the problem.

The original problem occurred because you downloaded some payware - perhaps as a free offer. The best policy is to not purchase or download any payware until N3V guarantees that it will not overwrite existing freeware.

It is Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 and was Build 98xxx. (The last three digits I can't remember). Now it is build 100240. I purchased the TRS19 last year via webshop. It's exact name was Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 EA Edition as far as I can remember.

Hm, what I don't understand is: why should I download some stuff via DLS when I just got the latest assets via the new build/update of Trainz 2019?
But I'll follow your suggestion by downloading <kuid2:661281:35112:4> from the DLS and see if I can proceed further.

For the moment thanks for your appreciated input!

_______
Josef

I mean there are no more *.tga files inside the editing folders for the 'Custom 40' Boxcar #1'
When freeware is converted to payware or built-in then the .tga and .texture.txt files are converted to .texture files.

Unfortunately I got surprised by the sudden update and had no copy of all my reskinning work at the time short before final testing the new skin. So all has gone.
I'm pretty sure 100240 is a beta version. If you are part of the beta program then you have to be prepared for anything, as it is not released software. In this case it would be best to go back to the backup of the latest release, and not download beta versions.

o Is it legal to use the so called PEV Image2TGA program?
Whether you use a program to do the alteration or do it yourself manually makes no difference. If the licence allows you to edit the asset then you can edit it any way you want.

I really do consider to stop purchasing further as it is not very clear how long I will be able to use that stuff without troubles.
Strongly recommended not to purchase or download any more DLC until N3V can promise that existing freeware will not get overwritten.

100240 is a patch for TRS19 to sort out the payware that isn't issue, currently just for non subscribers, it's not a beta. See newsletter and thread about it.

Now I deleted all the Boxcar # series in CM, redownloaded it again - it has to be the 4th generation of this boxcar (<kuid .... :4>) - and finally have just finished one Boxcar reskin from scratch. Many hours of work, but could recreate them again. Thank you all for your helpful hints!

Hope I get informed in time before an auto-patch is applied ...

_______
Josef

Last edited:
100240 is a patch for TRS19 to sort out the payware that isn't issue, currently just for non subscribers, it's not a beta. See newsletter and thread about it.

Found the thread: that was sure a well hidden announcement. From the comments it seems that is one update I don't want.

Found the thread: that was sure a well hidden announcement. From the comments it seems that is one update I don't want.

Read that thread too. Unfortunately I didn't find there any changelog or history textfile for this patch.
I only can say that before the patch I didn't have any faulties and the like in CM. But the most aggravating circumstance was that it obviously wasn't announced in a userfriendly manner, at least IMHO.

Therefore I hope someone can help me in this (see #1 of this thread):

>>>>>>>
So my last question:
How can I disable all further updates in any way to prevent my own reskinning content (locally created for my own Trainz in a huge amount of my spare time) upcoming. Playing TRS19 offline all the time eventually?
<<<<<<<

As always, thanks in advance for your informative and appreciated comments!

_______
Josef

>>>>>>>
So my last question:
<<<<<<<

You can solve your problem in an entirely different way.

When you reskin an asset, clone the original before you start, and reskin the clone. The new asset will get a KUID that is unique to you, will never be part of any download, and will never get overwritten by an asset created by someone else.

For reskins you have already done, just clone them then delete the old one.

You can solve your problem in an entirely different way.

When you reskin an asset, clone the original before you start, and reskin the clone. The new asset will get a KUID that is unique to you, will never be part of any download, and will never get overwritten by an asset created by someone else.

For reskins you have already done, just clone them then delete the old one.

Thanks for that additional hint, SailorDan! :)

Back