Content lost when elecricity went off

nimec

While I was using trainz last evening the electricity was suddenly cut off plunging everything into darkness for a couple of hours. Some fool driver had hit a power pole nearby. When opening Trainz this morning to see how it fared an EDR commenced which I expected but when the route menu finally opened, the only routes that showed were the original Ts10 and Ts12 routes and all my 3rd party content had gone. These included a number from the DLS and other 3rd party sites plus the pay-ware routes such as Donner Pass , Marias Pass X, TransMontana 3.0, Bucharesti- Nord to Brasov etc
I suppose I have also lost the many pay-ware locos I have purchased plus all the steam ones with edited e specs.
Has anyone had this happen to them and do they know if there is anyway they can be recovered?

That's why I have my computer system connected to an APC UPS. Depending on how much is turned on I get 20 to 40 minutes to save this and that and turn it off without losing anything. Biggest runs around $200. Well worth the $$$ even if it only kicks in once when you have been doing a lot of (unsaved) work.

Ben

Because of the sudden loss of power, I'd run a chkdsk on the hard drives to ensure that nothing else has been corrupted. The OS can usually recover its self because of the journaling routines built into Windows 7 and up, however, other data such as documents and of course Trainz data may not faire so wall.

So as have been said, there's nothing much you can do except for a database repair. Let it run its course then check for faulty assets, view the errors and warnings and hope they disappear. If any remain, you need to repair or replace these assets. I'd also check for anything open for edit because that sometimes happens too.

The last time something like this happened to us, I was working on my N-scale layout. I was in the middle of gluing a tunnel front on. The lights went out suddenly and there I was in pitch blackness in my basement. It turned out a teeny bopper hit the pole up the street as she took the corner too fast. She also caused quite a bit of damage to a neighbor's property as she got into "another accident", which we all heard her tell her daddy while we were standing around assessing the situation.

John

That's why I have my computer system connected to an APC UPS. Depending on how much is turned on I get 20 to 40 minutes to save this and that and turn it off without losing anything. Biggest runs around $200. Well worth the $$$ even if it only kicks in once when you have been doing a lot of (unsaved) work.

Ben

I have a collection of APC UPSes but the newer APC backup UPSes don't work with the high efficiency power supplies so I have a Cyberpower one now. The older APC backup UPS works fine but the last one I purchased didn't and their technical support said it was a known issue. The only way to check compatibility is to unplug your UPS and see if the machine continues to work.

Cheerio John

Living in South Florida and being subject to Florida Power and Light (Florida Flash and Flicker) I can assure I know on a weekly basis my UPS works.:hehe:

On a more serious note Florida is the second most lightening prone area in the world (some place in Africa has us beat). My UPS is plugged into a surge suppressor as well but when the lightening gets really bad I still unplug everything (me heap big chicken).

I also backup everything on a weekly bases to three external hard drives one of which is only plugged in when actually doing the backups. Overkill? - perhaps - but my Gmax/Trainz life is on my computer.

Ben

Last edited:
Living in South Florida and being subject to Florida Power and Light (Florida Flash and Flicker) I can assure I know on a weekly basis my UPS works.:hehe:

On a more serious note Florida is the second most lightening prone area in the world (some place in Africa has us beat). My UPS is plugged into a surge suppressor as well but when the lightening gets really bad I still unplug everything (me heap big chicken).

I also backup everything on a weekly bases to three external hard drives one of which is only plugged in when actually doing the backups. Overkill? - perhaps - but my Gmax/Trainz life is on my computer.

Ben

You are better off unplugging anyway, Ben. A surge protector isn't very good once it gets a single hit. The MOSFETs inside short out through their innards so you continue to receive power afterwards even though it's no longer surge protected. The other thing too is lightning is so powerful that it would fry your UPS and continue up through your computer and cook everything, so unplugging from the wall is really the safest thing to do.

John

Thanks for your responses. A UPS it will be. I like the reference to 'Flash and Flicker'. Talking of lightening strikes, I had a PC 'blown up' by a lightening strike a few years ago so always un-plug whenever a storm threatens. In addition, I have a surge diverter at the PC and also had a sparkie wire a surge diverter into my house fuse board. Cheers

That's true but I'd spend half my life unplugging and plugging my computer Then there is Hurricane season (ugh).

What Trainzers need is steam powered computers, lol.

Ben

Back