Conflict Between TS12 and T:ANE?

Yoda967

Manager, Virtual Shipping
Yesterday, I sprang for T:ANE. Today, I can't run TS12. I don't know if there's a connection, but has anyone else had a conflict?

My symptoms are that the CM takes a long time to search for anything, and a long time to shut down when switching to the game. In game, TS12 crashes now whenever I attempt to select a route.

First thing I did was a database repair, and that was clean.

The other thing I'm considering is that there's something wrong with the Phone Home.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

There is no connection between the two. The only issue you may see is the association of cdp files with T:ANE content Manager instead of the TS12 one.

TS12 is probably validating assets so it is making Content Manager terribly slow. Don't even attempt to run TS12 its self, otherwise, you'll have constant white screens and terribly slow performance as it checks the content.

However... why don't you have TS12 showing on your station line along with T:ANE?

Thank you. That makes sense.

why don't you have TS12 showing on your station line along with T:ANE?

I noticed that, too. I certainly registered both and should show both. Come to think of it, I purchased T:ANE Deluxe, but it's only showing standard. Weird.

Okay, how long should I expect it to take to validate assets? I let it run for five hours, checked to see that the CM is quickly applying filters, and I'm still unable to get into Surveyor or Driver.

Okay, how long should I expect it to take to validate assets? I let it run for five hours, checked to see that the CM is quickly applying filters, and I'm still unable to get into Surveyor or Driver.

It can take some time and from what you describe it's really busy validating the assets.

It's best you leave your PC running overnight and let it finish. I've had it run for 12 hours, but I also have 200,000 assets installed.

What you might want to do is quit TS12.

Wait about 10 minutes and start up again.

Now for the interesting and somewhat important part...

Go into Settings
Click on the Developer's tab
Check the boxes to show database processes. (I think that's what it's called).

Close the settings like you normally do and Start Content Manager.

You will see these two little DOS prompts appear on your task bar. These are the background processes are doing stuff with the database like validating and handling the data. By clicking on the TADDAEMON one, you can see the process counting down. When this reaches 33 or thereabouts, you can then launch Trainz normally and there is no more validation.

This is important to do anyway because when you shutdown TS12, you usually have to wait for at least 5 minutes to ensure that it is no longer running before you restart or shutdown your computer. By watching these processes, you can see when it's safe to shutdown because they will disappear from the task bar once they have exited. Keep in mind they are usually background processes which handle your database, and if they are running when you shutdown, you will need to do a repair.

John

I wouldn't be so sure there isn't some connection buried deep in the registry or a system folder somewhere.

I reinstalled TANE (purely for testing purposes) on the laptop a few days ago at which point I had trouble getting TS12 to start. I was getting messages about unable to find Direct X componenents etc. On investigation, I found my TS12 settings had been nulled and I had to re-enter all the parameters display resolution, Direct X not Open GL etc. to make it work.

Both TS12 and TANE are the Steam version so maybe that had some bearing, but the way the code for both products has been kludged together nothing would surprise me! :)

Mine are both Steam versions, and after letting TS12 run for about 12 hours, it still crashed when I attempted to access the routes page. I'm inclined to think that the answer lies somewhere in the profile Auran uses...it thinks I only have T;ANE standard in the forum, at least, and it may be giving me fits with TS12 for some related reason. Frustrating, to say the least.

Back