Computer Expert Needed !!!

dzien50

I'm trying to run a fairly large layout, but my game is very slow and jerky, I fear I've not got enough oomph somewhere. I know very little about computers and need to know what I need to upgrade to run the game better. My system is as follows :

Dell Computer Inspiron6400 core 2 duo processor 1.600Hz, 2MB Cache
160 GB hard drive
Memory dual-channel 2048 MB ( 2x 1024 )
256MB NVIDIA Ge Force, Go 7300 turbo cache graphics card

I hope this makes sense !!

Any advise will be very welcome
Thanks
PJ

You don't say whether this is TRS2004 or TRS2006, but with either the system looks fairly competent on the surface. What do you have running in the background? Things like print spoolers, disk cataloging, anti-virus checks, Windows Updates, and the like running in the background can kill frame rates pretty fast. Mail clients, and IM clients are a real killer.

When did you last update your drivers? Especially those of the video card.

Bill

You can for a start reduce the game's options to see what, if any differences this makes. Like less drawing distance, texture passes, detail level, reduce texture quality to medium or less, use NO shadows etc.

Up your resource cache to maximum too.

Do similar on your graphic card's options until you will get reasonable performance.

On the other hand, your route might simply have too many items on it, you can reduce your PC's load if using, say, only 6-8 different trees but use them more often. Similar with buildings and splines, less is always better.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

Thanks for quick response guys, my system is only 3 weeks old so should be up to date ? yes ? I don't have internet plugged in when playing game ( TRS 2006 btw ) or any other programmes running that I know of, I don;t know how to update my drivers ?

Yes its a big layout over 150 boards ( i think this is big ) but i do use only a few type of trees and lots of splines for trees, cities etc, my main concentration and fun is from running to a timetable ( that i'm trying to put together ) so I don't go in for massive detail that you prob could never see wizzing past on my trains ?

Sorry but I'm a really out of my depth after I've turned the thing on so anything tech you say will need an explanation of what your saying and what to do.

I just wondered if upgading the graphics card of something would help, I did not want to ask a shop as I'm not sure I'd get independant advise and be told to buy something that might not help.
PJ

its the video card. that card is pretty slow by todays standards. i would say get your self a ati 1950pro or something along those lines.

Hi,

The only thing I can see is the graphics card, the Turbo Cache feature/technology uses some system memory to simulate more video memory.

A 150 baseboard layout is not too bad, my layout is over 200 and it loads pretty quickly on my old system which is a P4 2.8, 1GB RAM and a 6600GT 256MB graphics.

Yes its a big layout over 150 boards ( i think this is big ) but i do use only a few type of trees and lots of splines for trees, cities etc

PJ

That's half your problem right there... The usage of splines instead of individual trees.

ditch the splines and get some individual items in there... you don't need lots... just enough to give the idea that you're passing through a city or treeline.

Also... Are you running this on a laptop or a Desktop. if it's a desktop... ditch that nvidia card... The turbocache cards are anything but!!

Get a nice Geforce 7900 in there.

regards

Harry

Last edited:
I am not familiar with that CPU. If it is dual core, how bad can it be? Is it AMD?

Check out your Trainzoptions.txt . There is an instuction file that comes with it (right?). Read through it and try some trial and error. Make only one change at a time. Use FRAPS ( from fraps.com ) to monitor the frame rate unless your main concern it jerkyness.

Here is my current trainzoptions.txt. Your best arangement will pobably be different if only because you have more RAM.

-noflash
-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
filter=trilinear
-ResourceMemory=256
-arealimit=300
-frequency=72
-vsync=2
-heartbeat=0.02
-loadingtime=10
-keepallresources=1
-forcerealtimeload=0
-framerate=24
-framestoaverage=16
-freeintcam
-cabinfov=65
-driverfov=55
-FullScreen
-DefaultAutoMip=none
-nolog
-disablerailjointsound
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// REQUIRED OPTIONS (DO NOT CHANGE)
//
-Jet=bin
-time=0.0

Note that the "filter" line is disabled. See my system specs below.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies and advise, so it would seem that the graphics card is the main "failing" area ? and why take out splines ? do they in particular use a lot of memory ?
Like I said I'm not into computers and most of it is a complete mystery to me, in fact until I bought TRS 2006 I had never played a Computer game nor was interested in doing so and only got TRS 2006 as I'm a frustrated Model Railroader with no space nowdays for a layout, therefore some things which are second nature to computer gamers are totally new to me, before TRS2006 I turned on my PC checked email and maybe the news then turned it off again !!!
PJ

Thanks for all the replies and advise, so it would seem that the graphics card is the main "failing" area ? and why take out splines ? do they in particular use a lot of memory ?
Like I said I'm not into computers and most of it is a complete mystery to me, in fact until I bought TRS 2006 I had never played a Computer game nor was interested in doing so and only got TRS 2006 as I'm a frustrated Model Railroader with no space nowdays for a layout, therefore some things which are second nature to computer gamers are totally new to me, before TRS2006 I turned on my PC checked email and maybe the news then turned it off again !!!
PJ

First thing what you have purchased is a reasonable PC for most things but not for doing big complex things in Trainz. First thing you have to do is tell Trainz how much memory you have, you have 2 gigs but until you change your trainzoptions.txt file Trainz will recognise and use only about 256 mbs or about one eighth of your available memory. You need usable memory so try that first. WWW.tomshardware.com is the bible for hardware and what they have done in the last week was to build four computer systems, and basically what they found was the video card has more to do with games performance than anything else. When they put in a Geforce 8800 GTX the performance was roughly the same across the board.

The GTX cards are roughly $550 at newegg.com. Changing the video card in the same family is fairly easy, they are available with 768mb of memory and a town shot can have 700mb of texture files in it. Having less memory on the video card will work but it means the cpu and ordinary computer memory will have to work a little harder.

There could be issues with the power supply a more powerful video card does require more power, I'd go with one recommended by tomshardware AeroCool ZERODBA-S620 $125 again Newegg should have one of these. Compared to model railway costs these are quite low, compared to other PC costs they may seem a little high.

By the way in your particular case do not buy an ATI card. Stay with nVidia or it will leave you with a mixture of video card drivers which means reinstalling the operating system to be certain you have got rid of all traces of the old drivers. There are some people who think they know how to remove all traces but to be honest any trace left means your new video card will not perform as it should so I normally reload the operating system.

The other thing is your screen resolution. If you have a wide screen monitor recognise that 1440 by 900 has a lot more pixels in it than 1024 by 768 so needs more horsepower to drive it.

trainzoptions.txt

Mine is:

-DepthBits=24
-StencilBits=8
-Jet=bin
-cabinfov=65
-driverfov=55

-width=1152
-height=864

-AutopilotSignalDistance=300
-AreaLimit=100

-SectionLimit=10
-ResourceMemory=1536
-LoadingTime=1
-KeepParticles=0
-KeepAllResources=0
-Intro=disable
-ForceRealtimeLoad=0
-FramesToAverage=16
-FullScreen
-FreeIntCam
-nolog
-showkuids

have a dig in the forum there are threads about this.

-ResourceMemory=1536 is the critical line.

Changing the power supply is more complicated than changing the video card. However if you don't have enough power available you can seriously damage your computer. The other thing to watch out for is heat, if the system overheats you will need to add one or more fans, but this requires knowing more about your computer case so a local store might be best for this.

Cheerio John

Hi John
Thanks for very detailed reply, I have tried to change the "trainzoptions file " but it won't let me ??? Just get message saying " Cannot create the file ?? I have no idea why. I'm using Vista which I think its a right pain compared to the older XP so this may have something to do with it. Have you any ideas why it won't let me change the file ?
PJ

Forget last post, a friend has told me how to do it in Vista, its so much more difficult than XP, I don't see the advantage, anyway I'll change some of my settings like yours and see what happens, by the way I cannot see where to tell trainz I have 2MB of memory ? is it the " ResourceMemory=1536 ?
PJ

Hi John
Thanks for very detailed reply, I have tried to change the "trainzoptions file " but it won't let me ??? Just get message saying " Cannot create the file ?? I have no idea why. I'm using Vista which I think its a right pain compared to the older XP so this may have something to do with it. Have you any ideas why it won't let me change the file ?
PJ

Vista has a number of security features which prevent some things working as easily as they have done in the past. Specifically because of the extra security features most games run slower than they do under XP. Also the drivers are still being worked on and updated. I'd go to the web sites of nVidia and download the latest drivers from their site. You may not be able to do this from a "normal" Vista logon account but will need to be in an Admin account.

If you can see the file in the directory you should be able to edit it with notepad. Unfortunately Vista has much tighter permissions than XP, there are specific threads in the forum that deal with Vista and it's worth your while reading through them so that even if you don't understand how to correct the problem you can at least recognise the problem. There should be an admin account that if you logon might allow you to edit the trainzoptions.txt file by the way.

Unfortunately I don't run Vista, although I do have a copy at home on the shelf. As part of my normal work though I have been to a number of Microsoft presentations and reviewed hours of Channel 9 videos on the subject from Microsoft.

I'm unclear as to whether Auran support Trainz on Vista at the moment. Since your purchase is recent it might well be worth while contacting Dell to see if you can have Vista replaced with XP since the reason you purchased the computer was to run Trainz and unfortunately Auran does not yet support Vista. It's not quite as secure but at least it will run the software and it will be a lot easier to get support.

I've just noted that you are in Canada, I don't think newegg ship to Canada, probably cause I live here so you might need a different supplier. Where abouts are you? Someone might know of a decent dealer to go to. I'm in Ottawa but it's unlikely you are close.

Dell should be able to sort you out as well. Looking at their web site something like a 9200 with a 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX video card should do it. Vista likes memory by the way so 4 gigs rather than two, even though you really need 3 gigs not 4 but you are stuck in the Dell options. Monitors are tricky, a 19 inch 1440 by 900 5ms or less would be about as large as I'd like to go. LCD monitors work best at native resolution. Dell's 20 inch monitors native resolutino is too fine to be driven by Trainz my Dell in the office is 2560 by 1600 which means there are so many pixels to drive the frames per second drop through the floor. Talk nicely to Dell and see if they can get you something that works like the 9200 with XP on it, that would be the simplest solution.

I assume you took their advice when purchasing? If so they should take some responsibility. If you've purchased a wide screen monitor with a native resolution of greater than 1440 by 900 try running Trainz at a lower resolution and see what it looks like.

Tigerdirect.ca have a
pixel-clr.gif
Samsung 931BW / 19" Wide / 2ms / Dynamic 2000:1 - Static 700:1 / WSXGA 1440 x 900 / Black / DVI / Widescreen LCD Monitor
The lightning-fast Samsung 931BW for $260 but if you are on the west coast there are dealers on the west coast who I would probably use first. Tigerdirect if you know what you are buying is OK but the rebates can take a year to arrive. The letters DVI are critical here by the way it's the monitor interface to the computer that gives the highest quality image.

Dell usually does a nice job on the cooling side but aren't really geared upto the sort of machines that run Trainz well. They do howevr do a nice job on the integration so I have a Dell sitting on mother'stable in the UK. Possibly not the cheapest but it does the job without me having to worry about it. I do have an APC UPS on mother's for reliability reasons to help avoid software errors when the PC sees a voltage drop, such as the fridge starting up.

Cheerio John

Forget last post, a friend has told me how to do it in Vista, its so much more difficult than XP, I don't see the advantage, anyway I'll change some of my settings like yours and see what happens, by the way I cannot see where to tell trainz I have 2MB of memory ? is it the " ResourceMemory=1536 ?
PJ

Basically yes. That one is the critical one. I think it says set it to half the normal memory but I have 2 gigs and 1536 seems to work fine.

Cheerio John

Hi John
Thanks for your trouble to help me, I'm in the UK not Canada btw. Anyway I put in your suggestions and the game crashed after 2/3 mins so I took them back out and just left the " crucial ResourceMemory" but again it crashed ? This was in driver where I had saved a game I had been playing, so could this be the problem ? should I go from surveyor with the new settings and set up a new driver session ?

Great advice, thanks again, I will talk to Dell and defo look into upgrading my card, I would be happier to go back to XP I find it, for someone like me, very user friendly where as this Vista is ****

I'll let you know how things get on
Cheers
PJ

Hi John
Thanks for your trouble to help me, I'm in the UK not Canada btw. Anyway I put in your suggestions and the game crashed after 2/3 mins so I took them back out and just left the " crucial ResourceMemory" but again it crashed ? This was in driver where I had saved a game I had been playing, so could this be the problem ? should I go from surveyor with the new settings and set up a new driver session ?

Great advice, thanks again, I will talk to Dell and defo look into upgrading my card, I would be happier to go back to XP I find it, for someone like me, very user friendly where as this Vista is ****

I'll let you know how things get on
Cheers
PJ

Have a read of the Vista threads.

Cheerio John

I've used ebuyer.co.uk for parts in the UK but your computer parts and computers are much more expensive than the rest of the world for some reason.

Best of luck.

Cheerio John

I've used ebuyer.co.uk for parts in the UK but your computer parts and computers are much more expensive than the rest of the world for some reason.

Best of luck.

Cheerio John

OFF TOPIC RANT: everything is more expensive here in the uk, you wouldnt believe the cost of living over here,

cheers

Gav

Back