collisions

i'll settle this once and for all.

i will settle this arguement once and for all.

Trainz 2006 has a big derailment improvement over Trainz 2004.

i for one, only crash trains because i like to see how they happened (ok maybe i have gone overboard a few times.).

Trainz wasn't meant for the crashes, right?

i will settle this arguement once and for all.
Trainz 2006 has a big derailment improvement over Trainz 2004.
i for one, only crash trains because i like to see how they happened (ok maybe i have gone overboard a few times.).
Trainz wasn't meant for the crashes, right?

Well , err, yeah !

---DLR

really guys, is this how you want trainz?:

sothisishowyouwanttrainz.jpg

No, I don't want exploding cars or even cars bursting into flame before they get hit.

All I want is a little more realism with the physics, none of this ghosting BS that is going on.

No, I don't want exploding cars or even cars bursting into flame before they get hit.

All I want is a little more realism with the physics, none of this ghosting BS that is going on.

i can remove the image if ya want.

I could use a lot more realism.

HAVE FUN WITH TRAINS

HI MATE'S (from NZ) IVE BEEN READING ALL YOUR COMENTS ABOUT CRASHING AND i HAVE TO SAY THAT WHEN I GOT TRAINS 2006 I GOT IT TO BUILD MY OWN ROUTES AND THE LAST THING ON MY MIND WAS CRASHING.......

DONT RUIN A GOOD BUILDING PROGRAM BY ALLOWING IT TO HAVE A CRASH PATCH BUILT IN LEAVE IT ALONE.

WHY DONT YOU SEE WHAT 2009 HAS TO OFFER.
icon12.gif

Cvkiwi, as Iced8383 please DON'T YELL. Using all capitals is considered shouting. Also I've seen some other postings of yours, asking for help, and then re-asking for help only 30 or so minutes later. Please give people time to reply. A reply may not be for hours or days.

Anyway I don't like to see locos able to go "through" other locos on the juctions as it is now. It should be really nice to have an improve on this side.

Hi All,
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here..
Lets talk realism; If a loco, car Etc is involved in a bad wreck, in real life they are usually written off.
So, if we pushed realism all the way, and each simulated loco Etc involved in a crash, could never be used again in your Trainz program. Would you still want Train Wrecks?

Cheers
Pete.

Simulation:
(computer science) the technique of representing the real world by a computer program.

Now, please show me some examples of ghosting happening in the real world.

Oh, i understand that some want complete realism, and some apparently want none.
So, why can't we reach a simple compromise?
Why cant we get rid of this ghosting crap and maybe have at least some realism in the derailments?

Allow me to bring this Topic back to attention.

Seeing that with TRS2009 the engine has gained quite some more capabilities (and performance), it might just be possible for the developers to spend the freed CPU time to finally spend the game a better physics implementation.

Again, please let me just quickly explain what I am looking forward to.

- By going too fast into curves, Trains and Wagons should "tip over" (YouTube Link - Movie is from KuJu Rail Simulator, but is lacking mass and friction implementation, which could be improved on)
- Trains shall no longer pass through one another when they hit at junctions / crossings (not just buffer on buffer physics)
- When derailments occur, the entire train shall not just jump off the rails in the same second, but realistically keep its inertia and "roll along" the rails
- Derailed wagons shall no longer unrealistically run up hills or flip around, but come to a rest more or less quickly, depending on their mass and inertia
- Derailed wagons also shall collide with environmental objects (trees, houses, etc.)
- Derailed wagons should then be able to be set to "remain indefinately", "disappear after X minutes" or "re-rail after X minutes at portal / trackmark X"

Just for reference, I'm thinking about an somewhat improved MSTS version of hitbox physics, nothing more. (YouTube Demonstration Link)

This is not a request for a super-correct physics implementation with deforming meshes upon contact, bodies flying around, explosions, etc.
This is simply a request for implementing simple hitbox physics, because railcars passing through each another, unrealistic derailment and contact behavior and the like doesn't do this game the deserved justice.

Implementing said features will bring this simulator one step closer to being "untouchable".
If the collision meshes could be computed automatically by the engine (highly simplyfied "box" version of the lowest detail mesh of an object, taking the out-most-vertices for reference) would also mean that the community wouldn't even have to touch a single item to enable these "improved" physics.
Best of all, if this would work, there could be an option in the menu to turn "improved physics" on or off, depending on if the PC of the person can handle the additional system load or not.

(This engine also needs a new lighting model, which computes shadow meshes automatically instead of having to create a separate "shadow mesh" for each item, but that's another story).

It would be nice if we could finally get some sort of reply from an auran official on this matter, because to me physics do matter (it's called "Trainz SIMULATOR 2009" for a reason, no ?).
It's not an absolute must-have feature, but surely would be nice to see it being implemented.

EDIT: Hitbox physics implementation surely will not break the E-Rating, only explosions or violence would, but that's not even closely being asked for.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Last edited:
If you are still not convinced that creating these hit boxes would be a good idea, I have another application for them. If hit boxes are implemented then bumping posts at the end of a spur would actually work, rather than the car or locomotive unrealistically just passing through them. There is nothing more game braking than pushing a hopper up the steep incline of a coaling trestle and to have it run over the car stop and roll off the end of the track at around 1 mph. (or to have the locomotive unexplainable fall through the trestle as a result.)

I agree, this would be a great feature. Also if content creators don't want to throw specs in their engines for this kind of thing, then the game could at least auto assign an average spec table, that way at least the car will do something.

Davis

Hold on a minute. This talk about 2009 not having hitbox is not completely true. The trains in 2009 do not all go through each other after a crash now (although the locomotives inexplicably would). I haven't tried out the working buffers and stuff, but the trains do derail more realistically, albeit giving the train in question (not the game) a slight stutter as the cars bump into each other.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Really? What assets are these as I haven't seen it yet. We also still have the pretty big problem of the entire train derailing rather than a few cars that were involved. This is a good sign though since it means that we are slowly starting to get closer to realistic derailments physics wise.

I would like to see the game throw up a error message pointing out the derailment, and then shutting down for twenty minutes before the session can be played again.

Back