Chicago Transit Authority (cta) Pics!

I think registration on webs sites carry thru to all webs sites. All you have to do is log in and it'll add that site to your list.

peter

Yea, if you ever regeisted on a Webs site, you have to carry over that registration from another webs site to any other one you register for. Its kind of handy, since that way you do not have to register over and over again

Thank Guys -- I've never heard of registration carrying over, etc ... I guess it does come in handy!

Also, Will, it's to good to hear that you've created specific stations -- post some screenies! I'm just going to do, as you have already read, generic stations, but it will cater to Chicago style, tho! I will be using Peter's texture for those!

@ ALL -- I have been working on this module and discovered that more pieces, like bridges and roads ... roads/bridges need to be done, etc The module is a just a way to displayed the pieces since there's so many now!!

I'll post some screenies of it at some other time!

Need to shut down PC -- we have heavy furious storm here in St Pete, Florida! Light might go at any time!

Ishie

any chance of Renamable stations signs in the route colors? Or do you not know how to do that, because I sure as heck can't figure it out

any chance of Renamable stations signs in the route colors? Or do you not know how to do that, because I sure as heck can't figure it out

Yeah, sure -- the stations that I have done have signs which can be re nameable -- Next stop "Will Station" :wave:

I'll do the signs as separate items also, so there's more options --- so this is what we would have:

Stations without signs
Stations with signs
The Color scheme signs to represent each line which can be use on any stations!

Ishie:wave:

I believe (and I haven't done the research to completely confirm this) but the various lines do not have different color signs. In the Blue/Red/Green sign style.
The Black style has colored blocks on the ends that say which lines stop at that platform.

There are then two stations with unique sign-age. And a few with variations of the standard sign-age. Such as Rosemont which receives an image of a rose on it's signs.

But the Madison/Wells one looks pretty good. I would suggest making the sign bigger (keep the textures the same size)

peter

Edit:
A bit more about the Red/Blue/Green. Known as the K-D-R signage:
Now, color-coding used as the signs' background would indicate an A station (red), a B station (green), or an AB or All-Stop station (blue). The typeface would be Helvetica medium, found to be the most effective for CTA signs in the Dan Ryan and Kennedy experimental signage. Instead of the previous style of using only capital letters, upper and lower case letters were used to improve readability in addition to the use of the Helvetica font. This series of signs made another interesting change that has remained to this day: whereas the word "and" in a station name had previously been symbolized by an ampersand (such as at "North & Clybourn"), it would now be symbolized by a backslash (such as at "Clark/Lake" or "Adams/Wabash"). (The Dan Ryan signs were also peculiar in that they gave much more play to the long name "Wentworth" than to the numbered street that the station was actually named for, not to mention the fact that the stations were actually nearer to the Dan Ryan Expressway than Wentworth or State Streets.)

The basic forms remained: horizontally long rectangular signs bearing the station's name and address coordinates supplemented by smaller vertically-rectangular symbol signs, posted at the passengers' eye level, displaying the station name, station type and the destination of trains serving that particular platform.

Last edited:
Peter, unless your volunteering to make every single stations sign from every single station for me to use, I think we have to look past KDR signage. just a generic sign is better then what I have now, Which is nothing

well I thought we could get away with leaving the address numbers off the black signs. I could make a template sign for each line, plus the loop & dual-service lines. It wouldn't be to much I don't think. If you guys wanted a specific one I could do that as well. (Like Rosemont, with the rose.)

peter

Some of the more unique signs sets would be nice. Most specifically, Quincy.

I've more or less decided to completly replicate the restored Quincy stations as close as I can get it. My current generic "loop" station is close, but not close enough. Quincy is such a wonderful station, it deserves more then me half ***ing it.

I'll be trying to build more loop stations when I get home, I finished all but the ground level Ravenswood stations before I left town. I also need to modify my Kimball station, because on the Snowflake, I realized I really screwed up the design of Kimball terminal, so now I have to fix it.

Preview-1.jpg

peter

PS that quote (and a lot more information about the signs) came from here:
http://www.chicago-l.org/signage/platform/index.html

peter

Hey Peter,

From your previous post, i just followed the colored-schemes on this page:
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/index.html

These can still be modified -- so I will make them bigger and thicker for easy placement!

On the link above here I can make those into signs, as many as they have -- it's not a problem, etc LOL -- all I need from you guys is the actual size height/width you would like -- if you're not sure I'll keep the current size then! let me know!

Ishie

Not living in Chicago I can't just go out and measure one (if there is someone in Chicago reading this & can that would be great!). So I've done the best I can with a bit of Math & some pictures. The best I can come up with is that the Black Station signs (and I would assume the KDR ones are very similar in size) are (all dimensions in feet):
Length: 11.75
Height: 1.5
Length of Colored Portion: 2.125*

*This dimension appears to vary a bit depending on how old the sign is. I took an average between two signs.

While for the majority of the system it would be fictional. I'd love to see CTA signs in the older State/Dearborn Subway signage style.
subway-name.jpg

subway-symbol1.jpg
subway-symbol2.jpg

peter

q
Not living in Chicago I can't just go out and measure one (if there is someone in Chicago reading this & can that would be great!). So I've done the best I can with a bit of Math & some pictures. The best I can come up with is that the Black Station signs (and I would assume the KDR ones are very similar in size) are (all dimensions in feet):
Length: 11.75
Height: 1.5
Length of Colored Portion: 2.125*

*This dimension appears to vary a bit depending on how old the sign is. I took an average between two signs.

While for the majority of the system it would be fictional. I'd love to see CTA signs in the older State/Dearborn Subway signage style.
subway-name.jpg

subway-symbol1.jpg
subway-symbol2.jpg

peter

I'll post up some screenies of any sign I'll do tomorrow -- Tomorrow will be my last post, so you and Will know I will not response or do any content! After I get back I'll finish the system -- I got into it so I got a few more ideas -- maybe, just maybe I'll do the Chicago subways! :wave: :)

Thanks for the info -- I got a an idea of what direction I should take now!

Ish

PS. WILL, if you read this, your site refuses to e-mail me the PW so I can download your train cars!

PS. WILL, if you read this, your site refuses to e-mail me the PW so I can download your train cars!

Check you spam box the email would have come from Webs.com; due to them having a large number of free sites and probably quite a few with illegal activities their emails get flagged as spam. I did check to see if I could just approve you but it only gives us admins the current user list, not the waiting approval one.

If you can't find the email shoot me a PM with your email & I can try to manually add you.

peter

Check you spam box the email would have come from Webs.com; due to them having a large number of free sites and probably quite a few with illegal activities their emails get flagged as spam. I did check to see if I could just approve you but it only gives us admins the current user list, not the waiting approval one.

If you can't find the email shoot me a PM with your email & I can try to manually add you.

peter

I just tried it again, and nothing!

you're block from getting pm's .. pm me your e-mail and I'll reply to it!!

Ishie

Back