Chicago Transit Authority (cta) Pics!

Very nice 2000 series Klinger! :) Can't wait for it's arrival! I assume there'll be a RWB(without the black on the sides) and an Mint-Alpine version as well?

I'm planning 4 schemes. Mint Green and Alpine White, Charcoal and Silver, Bi-Centianal Red white and Blue, and Spirit of Chicago.

All of the last three had black painted on the area of the Windows, well, blackish color, it was not all that dark. The Green and White scheme was the only one without black windows.

WooooooW!:udrool: One question---> ISH6 Does you will progess to subway tunnel and walk to enter downstair to tunnel and tunnel station? I'm not sure if you can.

NKP

I checked out photos of CTA cars and I thought that NYCTA cars look better than CTA cars. Most CTA cars use PCC streetcar parts. Why are the bi-fold doors called "Blinker Doors?"

I checked out photos of CTA cars and I thought that NYCTA cars look better than CTA cars. Most CTA cars use PCC streetcar parts. Why are the bi-fold doors called "Blinker Doors?"

Actually thats kind of a L myth. Only about half of the 720 6000 series cars used PCC body's, windows, and doors. The rest were built from new parts, which can be seen on the last order of 6000's, with rounded doors rather then the earlier straight doors.

The question about Blinker Doors I can't answer, there is a reason they are called that, but I don't remember what it was

The CTA cars have two doors per side and usually have transverse seats. NYCTA IRT cars have three doors per side and have longitudinal seats. The first IRT cars had two doors per side and some transverse seats. Are the CTA cars as crowded as NYCTA cars?

@ Jeff and Will,

Just a suggetion guys ... why not built a CTA car? I checked the DLS and could locate any! :(

Ish

Ish, if you need I made up a while ago some basic textures to be used in CTA stations. You can get them here:
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/chicago/Station_Textures/

I have a couple other textures for other parts of the L that aren't uploaded (yet); and am willing to make other textures for CTA projects.

peter

Thanks Peter!

Just curious, tho, those textures are for stations so I will assumed that there are real pictures that more or less represent the textures that you have made ... if so, please provide a link to those real stations, etc so I can get a picture in my mind when I built them in gmax!

Sure, send me more textures so I can mix and match, and see what works!:wave: I will give you credit in the config file, tho!:)

Ish

Last edited:
Modern CTA cars made by Klinger can be downloaded from TCR: http://trainzcommuterrail.co.cc/index/
I believe he also has them available on his website, but I don't have the link to that off-hand.

Almost all the pictures I've used to make the textures are from www.chicago-l.org

peter

Okie in the cars ...

As for the textures, what do they represent? For example, if I make a station using blue and white strips (texture) then that would represent one of NYC's stations!

Just show me a picture of any station from Chicago that you took and made textures from so I can match it up!

Ish

lets see....

the white & blue tile would be in the Clark-Lake Subway
http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/images/MilwaukeeDearbornSubway/clark-lake04.jpg

the red tile would be found in most of the other subway stations.Dearborn Subway & State Subway

the red-white & blue tile would be used on the Roosevelt-State Subway (and I have one labled for North-Clyborn however I can't find a pic of it, so I fear it was a mistake)

The Blue & Yellow Saftey tiles are used thruought the CTA. Primarily the Blue is used, however some stations do get the yellow. I'll look around for a pic of yellow being used later.

the wood is used on most elevated stations, especially in the Loop, the one (linked) without the yellow stripe is for stations with the blue (or yellow) safety tiles. Whereas the the wood with the yellow stripe is for older (not yet refurbished) stations without the blue safety tiles.

upon looking at it, I think my wood needs some slight adjustments. It's been quite a while since I made those. I'll probably look over my other un-uploaded textures as well & bring them up-to-date.

peter

I also made a collection of CTA station signage. However since they took much more time & energy then the textures I have not uploaded them, only previews. I'm willing to send a person working on CTA stations the sign textures needed for the stations they are working on. You can see the previews here:
Preview.jpg

Preview-1.jpg

also not uploaded but made is the Fankle signs used at Clark - Lake:
clark-lake-Frankle01.jpg

peter

Excellent clarification there, Peter!

As for the station it'll be generic, to be honest!

I guess, if you permit, I can make them as signs and upload or, if you know how, etc make the signs and upload the station signs as a single piece so folks can place them against the station walls -- it's up to you so let me know!

Also, since you clarified what the color textures are far I can now continue creating more stuff, etc ... so let's see what I can make, using your textures!

Right now this project stands as 49 -- I predicted 100 pieces, tho! I'm yet to make the support beams as static objects so folks can have more freedom, etc ...

I have also been searching for construction and warning signs that are use in the track, etc ... but those sites doesn't give this system justice, so if anyone can link me to a site which has such signs please let me know!

@ALL -- Lastly, I should be done by next week with this project -- my treatment plant 40 items are sitting in my files -- so should upload nearly 200 items by next weekend!

Ish

Last edited:
I uploaded some other textures as well. Mainly support stuff. I also touched up the wood beams, that being said I'm looking into replacing the wood grain with a better more accurate one, instead of the one I have. The other textures are the two sides for the various support beams, some use the same textures as others, in which case I only made one texture.

What I have made in the way of signs is as follows Black Base:
Small Signs:
Clark/Lake
Jackson (Blue, Red)
Lake
LaSalle (Brown) (Purple, Orange)
Madison (Green, Brown) (Orange, Green, Purple)
Quincy (Brown) (Purple, Orange)
State/Lake (Green, Bown) (Orange, Green, Purple)
Washington (Brown) (Orange, Purple) (Red)

Full Signs:
LaSalle/VanBurren (Brown) (Orange, Purple, Pink)
Library-State/VanBurren (Orange, Purple) (Brown)
Madison/Wells (Black) (Brown)
Randolph (Orange, Purple, Pink) (Brown)
Lake/State (Black)
Washington/Wells (Orange, Purple) (Brown)

Small Blue signs:
Adams/Wabash
Clark/Lake
LaSalle
Madison Wabash
Monroe
State Lake
Washington

Full Blue Signs (some red):
Adams-Wabash
Jackson
Jackson
Monroe

The Frankle Signs
The Quincy Signs

Although it doesn't seem like many, most are all set up the same, so for any needed station I can look up what type it uses and throw together the needed sign easily.
I think for the Full signs the best way would be to make renamable signs for each line, plus the Loop & Shared Service Signs.
The Smaller signs would have to be all done by hand, that being said due to the sheer number of them I would suggest setting up a system similar to Maddy25's US highway sign.
The Fankle & Quincy Signs are unique and so can be made up specifically for their stations.

peter

edit new texture located here http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/chicago/Station_Textures/

@ Jeff and Will,

Just a suggetion guys ... why not built a CTA car? I checked the DLS and could locate any! :(

Ish

Ish.....really?

www.chicagoel.webs.com

register, go to the releases section of the forums, and have them all.

Modern 5000 series cars

trainz2011-03-1701-31-01-42.jpg

2600 series with Movie Advertisements

Screenshot_1295.jpg

2200 series on a Lake/Dan Ryan run

Screenshot_1037.jpg

At Dempster in Skokie, under the wire, with the 3200 series

Screenshot_483.jpg

Ish, they are all on my website, they have been tested without flaws up to TRS2009

Anyway, I have spent over a year on my CTA cars. They now have animated doors, but I have no uploaded that version yet, I still have final touches to add.

@Jeff

Yes, CTA trains get very very crowded at rush hour. The new cars have longitudinal seating, however the concept is not very popular in Chicago, and I would not be surprised if either it changes before more then about a quarter of the 500 car order is built, or changed by CTA in a few years. They are NOT popular with CTA riders at all, never tried them myself, so I can't speak either way

As far as stations go, I am build specific stations on the CTA that are too unique to use a generic station. I do have a few Generic ones built right now, but so far I've spent lots of time building at least one or two route specific stations, if not specific stations for each stop, so that everything looks correct.

A good example is a generic station I used at Belmont and Fullerton, its a basic concrete design. At Skokie, I had to build a very specifically designed station, which could only fit about 2 and a half cars, and was 2 tracks with a small station house.

Last edited:
I uploaded some other textures as well. Mainly support stuff. I also touched up the wood beams, that being said I'm looking into replacing the wood grain with a better more accurate one, instead of the one I have. The other textures are the two sides for the various support beams, some use the same textures as others, in which case I only made one texture.

What I have made in the way of signs is as follows Black Base:
Small Signs:
Clark/Lake
Jackson (Blue, Red)
Lake
LaSalle (Brown) (Purple, Orange)
Madison (Green, Brown) (Orange, Green, Purple)
Quincy (Brown) (Purple, Orange)
State/Lake (Green, Bown) (Orange, Green, Purple)
Washington (Brown) (Orange, Purple) (Red)

Full Signs:
LaSalle/VanBurren (Brown) (Orange, Purple, Pink)
Library-State/VanBurren (Orange, Purple) (Brown)
Madison/Wells (Black) (Brown)
Randolph (Orange, Purple, Pink) (Brown)
Lake/State (Black)
Washington/Wells (Orange, Purple) (Brown)

Small Blue signs:
Adams/Wabash
Clark/Lake
LaSalle
Madison Wabash
Monroe
State Lake
Washington

Full Blue Signs (some red):
Adams-Wabash
Jackson
Jackson
Monroe

The Frankle Signs
The Quincy Signs

Although it doesn't seem like many, most are all set up the same, so for any needed station I can look up what type it uses and throw together the needed sign easily.
I think for the Full signs the best way would be to make renamable signs for each line, plus the Loop & Shared Service Signs.
The Smaller signs would have to be all done by hand, that being said due to the sheer number of them I would suggest setting up a system similar to Maddy25's US highway sign.
The Fankle & Quincy Signs are unique and so can be made up specifically for their stations.

peter

edit new texture located here http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/PerRock/chicago/Station_Textures/

Hey Peter,

I'll be using your textures for the stations, etc ... :D

Thanks for the textures, and for the indpeth info!!! :wave:

Ishie

Back