Can I get rid of these files ??

craigdon

I have been doing a lot of route making recently and when I look through Content Manager I find 100's of files that don't seem to connect or want to connect anywhere. I would like to remove these files as I am a bit retentive that way. e.g. In Open for Edit there are hundreds of files sitting 'Open for edit' and 5 that are 'Open for edit, Obsolete and one that is 'open for edit, Newer version available'. How do I clean up this mess ??There are literally hundreds of files in various placeand they need sorted. How do I start ??
craigdon

Revert to original is probably the best option if you haven't edited them, otherwise deleting them you might delete something you need.

Mark

Hi,
easiest way to delete your redundant files:-
open content manager
select the option “installed” from the drop-down box
check you have a column labelled “author”, click on this column and it will list all the installed files by author.
you can delete these because you know what they are (?)

second method
start content manager
select “installed”
click on the small icon on the right of the “installed”.
you can now add filters t the search.
in this case, in the first drop-down box select “author”, then “equals” and add your user name.
this should be quicker!

cheers,
Colin

Thanks Colin.
I presume you mean the objects under my name ?? as I can replace them when I make a new route. ??

Hi,
Everything you have created will reference your username (or your kuid identity).
the first time you create something it will have a suffix “:1”, if you edit it & save it will create version “:2” and so on.

If you are removing all your work, just select everything with your Id and delete.
if you’re tidying up, keep only the latest version.

I think you’re trying to start a route over again (?), I’d suggest keeping the previous versions until you’re happy with the result. That way, you have easy back-ups if the current one goes agley.
Colin

Are the saved routes entirely self-contained, i.e. not relying on previous saved items? When I started deleting from the earliest saved routes, sometimes the entire list of saved versions disappears.

I don't know, I just seem to be downloading a load of unconnected bits and pieces. It all seems to have 'Missing Dependencies'

I'm not sure but I think if you delete a route you are only deleting the map. All of the items that you downloaded with the route stays in your inventory for future use. You have probably used some of those downloaded items in other projects as well. The same goes when you download a route. The config file will download all the items you don't have for the map you are downloading. If some of the items are on third party sites they will show up as unknown objects and give you a missing dependencies error. You can open the map and delete missing dependencies to get rid of the error.

Jack

I'm not sure but I think if you delete a route you are only deleting the map.

You are correct. You only delete the route map you selected for deletion, not any of its downloaded dependencies. The same goes for other assets, such as sessions or rolling stock, that reference and download additional assets - e.g. a rolling stock asset that includes bogies, couplers, commodities, etc, the rolling stock asset will be deleted but its bogies, etc will remain.

If some of the items are on third party sites they will show up as unknown objects and give you a missing dependencies error. You can open the map and delete missing dependencies to get rid of the error.

Again correct although the term "Third Party" can be misleading. In Content Manager the term "Third Party" can mean that the asset was originally downloaded from the DLS but has since been withdrawn, permanently in the case of a copyright violation, or temporarily if it is undergoing repairs.

Often, as you point out, the problem of missing assets can be solved by using the Main Menu Tools option Delete Missing Assets particularly if those assets are just scenery items which you can easily replace with other assets. However, sometimes those assets are crucial items such as track or track assets in which case their absence can make the route unusable. My general policy is that unless I judge the route to be "worthy" and repairable, then I simply delete it and retain any of its assets that were downloaded from the DLS. I gave up on playing the "Hunt the Missing Assets" game years ago.

My thoughts and experiences

Thanks for that one pware. I will follow that piece of advice about "Hunt the missing Assets" and rest happy with the thought I have done enough

Back